• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lars Jonsson's exhibition in Germany (1 Viewer)

spizaetos

Hi all!
First I'd like to apologize for my absence, but deadlines are tied
and there are so many Illustrations to deliver until October!
Just returned from Oldenburg in lower Saxony where the first ever!
exhibition of Lars Jonsson in Germany has been opened!
The artist was also present , a very pleasant genius giant!
The drawings were all new, big sized watercolours and oils, but also
sketchbooks pages and older plates were also to be seen.
I've never seen any picture of Jonsson's in original before and I have to
state that I'm still overwhelmed from his ability to work with such confidence in the field. Without a doubt he is the greatest living bird artist of our time!
This exhibition will travel through out Germany with a station of couple of months also in Munich! (where I live and that's fantastic), in many natural History Museums, but also in Denmark and Austria-Vienna.
I know it's not easy for the most of you to visit the exhibition but there is a
fantastic exhibition catalog also in English to purchase.
I've just noticed that the same catalog will be published in Britain by Christopher Helm in Autumn.
http://www.nhbs.com/paintings_from_a_near_horizon_tefno_159812.html
For every one who hasn't the patience to wait until October
here it is the Museums webpage -unfortunately only in German, but it is possible to contact them by E-Mail.
http://www.lars-jonsson.naturundmensch.de/index.html
Because I'm sure that there is a lot of interest,I'd be glad to answer any
questions if there are any exist- do not hesitate to contact me.

All the best

Paschalis

Thanks for that Paschalis. Whenever I see any new work by Lars Jonsson it always lifts my spirits - the beauty of the drawings and paintings are outstanding. Then, immediately afterwards I get so depressed as I realise the enormous gulf between his work and my own !
Brilliant artist and thanks for the links and I agree with your assessment about him being 'the greatest artist' - but I would actually say 'EVER' as well. I just think he has the lot.

Damn but that man's good! Thanks for the link Paschalis. I know how you feel about the gulf Tim, the difference is I tend to feel that way about lot's of people's work!

Ah well, here's wishing I could get to Germany...

Mike

Thanks for the link, as Tim says, viewing work like that lifts you up. Dont know what I envy more, his talent or his freedom as an artist, that is to say the poistion he has made for himself that allows him to get out into the field and paint, or sit in the studio painting full time. Throw in the mobile camper studio to allow him to paint on the road in those far flung reaches of scandinavia and I'm green with envy...
Some day I'll buy me a flower painted VW Van, mattress in back and off I'll go!

Many thanks Paschalis for the information. I'd noticed that a new Lars Jonsson book was coming out in the autumn, but hadn't realised that ti was linked to an exhibition. I whole heartedly agree with Tim's comments about how his work is both uplifting and, when compared to one's own efforts, depressing. However, I'd add the caveat that, having seen work by yourself, Paschalis & Woody, they engender a similar reaction. Having at last overcome my diffidence and finished my first painting for several years, I'm not sure I can now generate the enthusiasm to try a second!

Paschalis - are you able to let us know where your illustrations are destined to appear?

John

Having seen one of his exhibitions somewhere on telly and now learning of this one in Germany is a positive bit of news. It consolidates the hope I have that he will one day come to London (or anywhere in the UK) for an exhibition.

I would go without question!

What a man, I'm the proud owner of an original of his too! When I met him at the birdfair a few years back I asked him to sign a copy of 'the forgotten forest', I also told him that buying birds and light with my last 50€ meant I ate nothing but bread for 2 weeks, he kindly drew a hummingbird along with his signature. When I see his work I don't know whether to smile or cry, honestly, it's superb.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back