• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID two birds Canada june 2017 (1 Viewer)

Fernando

Hello, again I ask you to please the identification of these two birds. The photos were taken on the Berg Lake trail, this trail climbs up Mount Robson, almost on the border between British Columbia and Alberta.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• _G5A9817.jpg
    _G5A9817.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 69
  • _G5A9811.jpg
    _G5A9811.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 64
For 1, could be either Pacific-slope Flycatcher or Cordilleran. Sorry, seems they are only indistinguishable by male call. Though there is a drab version of Pacific-slope that I would have put this one as.
2, any blue on it at all? or can you give size? it looks small, but with no sight of the chest or size, hard to know whether it is closer to a bluebird, or a thrush.

I agree that the Empidonax flycatcher in the first photo is unidentifiable, at least for me.

I seem to be seeing the buffy face and eye-ring of Swainson's Thrush. Also, the tail is the same color as the wings and back, going against Hermit Thrush.

Tempted to agree that the first is PS flycatcher (though I've only seen a handful) and the second certainly appears to be Swainson's thrush.

The primary projection on the flycatcher looks long to me, which may serve to narrow potential species. Empidonax species which breed at or very near Mount Robson are (according to the 2nd edition of the Sibley guide) Dusky, Hammond's, Least, Alder, Willow, Yellow-bellied, and Pacific-slope.

I agree that the second bird is a Swainson's Thrush.

Hi guys, thank you very much for your help. While I was photographing, my wife recorded the song of a Varied thrush, I do not know if we will find any help in the recording.
Thanks

Attachments

• Varied Thrush Mt. Robson.mp3
    484.5 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back