• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you take your bird photos? (1 Viewer)

Steve!

Noooo!!!!

I was joking about lens recommendations - don't go there!

;)

Actually Pete, I had noticed the Sigma a day or so back, and if I had the 30D now I might be tempted - it's a bit hefty to wander around with it slung round my neck for 8 hours though, and I don't fancy my chances using it hand-held...

;)

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Actually Pete, I had noticed the Sigma a day or so back, and if I had the 30D now I might be tempted - it's a bit hefty to wander around with it slung round my neck for 8 hours though, and I don't fancy my chances using it hand-held...

;)

I'd agree, it's not really a walk about lens...

glad you've managed to get the refund on the D200 sorted.

It would seem that having a long lens is not the bird-photographer's panacea - you have to get close to birds to get some of the really good shots.

This being the case, who here uses a hide ( or "blind" if you live in America), who wraps themselves in camouflague and crawls in the mud?

Anyone?

Long lenses and getting close would be the ideal, I guess!

I've noticed that a lot of Nigel Blake's pictures on the gallery involve (say) a 600mm lens and extension tubes, which I assume is to allow the lens to be used on subjects that are closer than the minimum focussing distance of the lens.

His results speak for themselves.

I think that simple basic fieldcraft can make a big difference though: drab clothing, moving quietly, sitting still for long periods - I've had a great tit perch on the toe of my boot by doing that, while I was sitting against a tree trunk.

Kevin said:
This being the case, who here uses a hide ( or "blind" if you live in America), who wraps themselves in camouflague and crawls in the mud?

Anyone?

I got a hide for my birthday last week but haven't really had the chance to use it much yet... I'll let you know how I get on with it in a few weeks.

Keith Reeder said:
Long lenses and getting close would be the ideal, I guess! I think that simple basic fieldcraft can make a big difference though: drab clothing, moving quietly, sitting still for long periods

I agree with you, Keith: the shorter the lenses the closer the birder (your site is excellent proof of this. PS I failed to see some images: blank white page, any advice?)

Keith Reeder said:
I've had a great tit perch on the toe of my boot by doing that, while I was sitting against a tree trunk.

Wow, that's an atmospheric shot I would like to have taken! |;|

Last edited:
I would say that patience is the rule - and a LOT of patience.
And to those who asked ( postcardcv) - i sometimes crawl in the mud and lie low for ages between some weeds etc - you'll be surprised how close the birds can come after they are used to your silhoutte on the ground... ( but the acking neck ... ouch... )
And there's no need for a special blind -when i sit on a small chair - i use a greenish thin blanket with flowers sketched on it - i drape it over me + tripod - just the lense edge is exposed - very cheap & easy hide.
But- Most of my pictures are shot from the car window - and i've had birds come closer than the lense can focus ....

postcardcv said:
I got a hide for my birthday last week but haven't really had the chance to use it much yet... I'll let you know how I get on with it in a few weeks.
Thanks - that would be really interesting

In a fit of impulse purchasing, I bought two hides – a dome hide and a bag hide – both from Wildlife Watching Supplies. The dome hide cost me over £200 and has only ever been up in my living room! It’s big and I’m not sure how landowners/the public would react to it. I’ll probably use it at some point?

I’ve used the bag hide a number of times, however, lately to get my most recent Black-necked Grebe pictures. It’s actually designed to accommodate a 500 to 600mm lens, so there’s a lot of material between my head and the camera, which is a bit awkward. It’s also quite heavy and thick (very hot in summer), and tricky to get used to. It’s effective though, and rolls up small enough to strap to the top of my rucksack.

Using hides (blinds)

Still little response to the question about hide-use.

Could it simply be that very few of us are using them?

If so, is that because of the price, the practicalities or the embarrassment value of being found in one?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back