• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel Pox Virus Hits Red Squirrels At Formby (1 Viewer)

SalopPhil

United Kingdom
The following press release has just been sent out by the National Trust and I thought you might find it of sad and disturbing interest.

Tests have now confirmed that eleven red squirrels which have died since mid-November in the vicinity of the famous Formby Reserve had contracted Squirrel Pox Virus (SQPV).

Andrew Brockbank, the National Trust’s property manager at Formby explains, “We have been looking out for red squirrels showing signs of SQPV since last year’s outbreak at Ainsdale which is just to the North of the reserve and until mid November we’d had no known cases. But we feared that the disease would appear sooner or later.”

“At the moment our priorities are to restrict the spread of this devastating disease. We are asking visitors to Formby to be vigilant and report sightings of sick red squirrels to the warden. No attempt should be made to handle sick or dead animals.”

Combined action is being taken at Formby to try and prevent the further spread of the SQPV with woodland owners along the coast working closely together. Trained staff and volunteers are searching the woodlands for sick red squirrels, which are taken to a vet for care when found. Meanwhile, where grey squirrels are seen within the buffer zone every effort is made to trap them.

Andrew goes on to say, “The one positive sign we have at the moment is that there are still plenty of healthy red squirrels in the woodland canopy. However, SQPV is a long-term issue and a major threat to red squirrel populations so we have to remain vigilant.”

“We are grateful for the tremendous response of local volunteers and residents in helping with daily searches of the woodlands.”

An update about Red Squirrels at Formby Reserve

I invested in the latest Countryfile magazine yesterday. There was an article about Red Squirrels at Formby Reserve near Liverpool

It stated that there have been 12 Red Squirrels found with the SQPV virus over the past 3 months. Not clear about the numbers here as the two reports (Post 1 and this one), merge into each other.

So there must be further indication that the disease is spreading now. It is so sad to read this. I am sure that there will other information about this on other links.

Everyone who uses Formby Reserve has been told to be vigilant, and observant. It is a question of looking out for any more squirrels which look sick and report any findings immediately. :-C

I invested in the latest Countryfile magazine yesterday. There was an article about Red Squirrels at Formby Reserve near Liverpool

It stated that there have been 12 Red Squirrels found with the SQPV virus over the past 3 months. Not clear about the numbers here as the two reports (Post 1 and this one), merge into each other.

So there must be further indication that the disease is spreading now. It is so sad to read this. I am sure that there will other information about this on other links.

Everyone who uses Formby Reserve has been told to be vigilant, and observant. It is a question of looking out for any more squirrels which look sick and report any findings immediately. :-C

I just wondered if anyone, local to this area has heard anything that is more up to date in the way of news reports?

Love to hear from you?

Kathy

It's not looking very good

Red squirrel alert at Formby Feb 7 2008

by Kate Dilworth, Formby Times

THREE more red squirrels have been found dead along Formby’s coastline, prompting fears the pox virus has spread.

One was found on the National Trust reserve, bringing the total there to 14.

Another was in the council-owned Ravenmeols woodland south of Lifeboat Road and the third, found on Thursday, was in Ainsdale National Nature Reserve – the first case there since an outbreak last year.

Conservationists are awaiting post-mortem results to confirm the cause of death. Two more reds on the National Trust reserve are showing symptoms of the disease, but volunteers have so far been unable to catch them.

Monitoring has now been extended to the Lifeboat Road woods, after 15 people attended a meeting to organise voluntary searches.

Fiona Whitfield of Save Our Squirrels said: “Six new volunteers have joined us in searching the woodland for reds and greys. While the weather has been windy and wet there have been fewer sightings, because the squirrels have been sheltering.

“But we had quite a high number of grey squirrel sightings at the end of last year and as it gets warmer, we’d ask people to keep reporting them to us.”

If you have seen a red or grey squirrel or are able to join the team of local volunteers, please call Fiona or Sally on 0151-920 3769.

At the moment Red Squirrels can still be found. However, unfortunately I've heard from other sources that the pox is having a devastating effect and the outlook for the Formby population is extremely bleak.

Kathy

It's not looking very good

Red squirrel alert at Formby Feb 7 2008

by Kate Dilworth, Formby Times

THREE more red squirrels have been found dead along Formby’s coastline, prompting fears the pox virus has spread.

One was found on the National Trust reserve, bringing the total there to 14.

Another was in the council-owned Ravenmeols woodland south of Lifeboat Road and the third, found on Thursday, was in Ainsdale National Nature Reserve – the first case there since an outbreak last year.

Conservationists are awaiting post-mortem results to confirm the cause of death. Two more reds on the National Trust reserve are showing symptoms of the disease, but volunteers have so far been unable to catch them.

Monitoring has now been extended to the Lifeboat Road woods, after 15 people attended a meeting to organise voluntary searches.

Fiona Whitfield of Save Our Squirrels said: “Six new volunteers have joined us in searching the woodland for reds and greys. While the weather has been windy and wet there have been fewer sightings, because the squirrels have been sheltering.

“But we had quite a high number of grey squirrel sightings at the end of last year and as it gets warmer, we’d ask people to keep reporting them to us.”

If you have seen a red or grey squirrel or are able to join the team of local volunteers, please call Fiona or Sally on 0151-920 3769.

At the moment Red Squirrels can still be found. However, unfortunately I've heard from other sources that the pox is having a devastating effect and the outlook for the Formby population is extremely bleak.

Hi ikw101

Thank you for your research, and answer here.

It is so sad that the Pox is becoming so widespread. At least it is being monitored now, and that is the main thing.

I wonder when it all will ever end now. :-C

Sometimes it's difficult not to despair.

The plight of the Formby squirrels is just so predictable. Even now with pox spreading throughout the colony the survival of this population depends upon the goodwill and tremendous efforts being made by local volunteers. Much as I applaud their efforts the difficulty in catching 2 red squirrels displaying symptoms of the pox virus says it all. It seems almost beyond belief that nobody has been recruited from the adjacent rifle range to humanely despatch the infected squirrels. Surely the survival of the colony should be put before 2 individuals.

If the colony is wiped out the 2000+ visitors per day experienced during the summer months and the regular slot on springwatch should at least generate a public outcry. The entire misguided approach to red squirrel conservation urgently needs to be reviewed.

Sometimes it's difficult not to despair.

It seems almost beyond belief that nobody has been recruited from the adjacent rifle range to humanely despatch the infected squirrels. Surely the survival of the colony should be put before 2 individuals

Yes it does, but it is typical: they are protected animals so how can you shoot them? I saw the same problem on a grand scale in California a few years ago when a fire started in a National Park. The authorities failed repeatedly to contain it because of laws against using heavy machinery in the wilderness, so every time the fire grew the authorities were trailing behind it. By the time they had worked through the legal bit the fire was uncontainable and had to just be left to burn out.

If we can't (a) short-circuit our own legislation and (b) put species before individuals (and especially before some humans squeamishness in the face of killing fluffy animals) its goodbye Red Squirrel.

John

I was at Formby Point last weekend to take some photos and now think I came across an infected squirrel.

Ignorant of the disease, I didn't report the sighting to anyone. If I'd been asked to report any sightings of poorly squirrels I would have done. So there's one thing that should be done - raise awareness of the disease even if it's only to visitors.

Almost certainly squirrel pox. Doubtful the animal would survive for much longer - stress from the disease is the usual final straw.

Here are details of the Formby outbreak and where to report your and any further sightings.

A brief history of the disease can be found at the bottom of this page.

I was at Formby Point last weekend to take some photos and now think I came across an infected squirrel.

Ignorant of the disease, I didn't report the sighting to anyone. If I'd been asked to report any sightings of poorly squirrels I would have done. So there's one thing that should be done - raise awareness of the disease even if it's only to visitors.

Just a quick follow-up. I reported my sighting to Save Our Squirrels and they said that they were pretty certain it was infected with the pox, but were forwarding my photos to Liverpool University for confirmation.

I suggested that they put up posters at the site, but they said that it might put people off visiting. Well, there's not going to be much left to see if infected squirrels are left to spread the disease...

Just a quick follow-up. I reported my sighting to Save Our Squirrels and they said that they were pretty certain it was infected with the pox, but were forwarding my photos to Liverpool University for confirmation.

I suggested that they put up posters at the site, but they said that it might put people off visiting. Well, there's not going to be much left to see if infected squirrels are left to spread the disease...

I could have sworn the birders code says welfare of the bird comes first. (I know, the text has been revised but the sense of it remains the same - and its just as applicable to mammals). In what way is the organisation helping Red Squirrel welfare with such an attitude?

John

I'm appalled at the SoS comment and have taken it up with them. Hardly a way to win friends and influence people let alone save red squirrels.

From my conversation with SoS, it seemed like they are making efforts to contain the disease, for example by working with the NT and helping to organise groups of volunteers to go out spotting, but at the same time without causing unnecessary distress to families that may be visiting the affected sites.

Personally, I can appreciate both sides of the coin; on one hand, maintaining visitor numbers means more funding and on the other, not making the disease high profile on-site means you lose an opportunity to educate potential spotters.

I also think there's scope for compromise e.g. tuned-down, family-friendly posters that say something along the lines of

Some of our squirrels are sick. Help us find them so we can make them better...

etc.

Out of curiosity, are there any posters displayed regarding reporting of greys? We have to rely on prevention as there is no cure so it makes sense to stop the potential for disease as soon as possible.

I appreciate the need for balance but I think the public need to be made aware just how horrendous it is for a red squirrel to die from the stress of pox and there's nothing more hard hitting than a picture. I like your heading but perhaps it should be followed with "One of these" (picture of grey squirrel) can mean "One of these" (picture of infected red squirrel)?

There is no argument for culling in grey only regions but if ayone needs convincing like the people at www.squirrels.info who make no mention of the disease on their site and actively encourage the illegal ("accidental") release rehabilitated grey squirrels).

I haven't seen any posters regarding greys, but that doesn't mean they're not about. I just haven't been looking for them.

SoS have come back to me to say that everyone who's seen my photos have agreed that the squirrel is indeed infected with the pox and as a result are suitable for use to help fight the disease. How exactly, I don't know, but they were quite a graphic depiction of an infected squirrel.

It would be good if the death of the red (which is almost certain) hasn't gone in vain and cane be used to improve visitor awareness. If the grey that infected this one had been caught then it might never have spread the disease.

Well spotted anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back