• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Some fox moth caterpillars seen on freshly mown fields at snipes /larford. Oddly i have never seen the adult moth there but i have at devils spittleford / rifle range, and you guessed it ,i have not seen the caterpillar at the latter.

Can anyone point me in a direction where I have a reasonable chance of seeing Brown Argus in Worcestershire or the West Mids ? Thanks

Can anyone point me in a direction where I have a reasonable chance of seeing Brown Argus in Worcestershire or the West Mids ? Thanks

Saw Brown Argus in the cleared area near the main pond in Grafton Wood on Friday. Also had Small Copper in the same area. I saw just one female Brown Hairstreak also near the pond. Dragonflies seen included Brown Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Southern Hawker, Common & Ruddy Darter plus Emerald damselfly.

Attachments

• BH1doc.jpg
    BH1doc.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Migrant1doc.jpg
    Migrant1doc.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Ruddy1doc.jpg
    Ruddy1doc.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 153
  • SouthernHdoc1.jpg
    SouthernHdoc1.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 159
Late visitor

An unexpected late Hummingbird Hawkmoth in my garden in Worcester, yesterday.
John

Attachments

• Hummingbird Hawkmoth 800x600.jpg
    Hummingbird Hawkmoth 800x600.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 154
Louse

This little louse crept out of the Kale we cut for Christmas dinner. It's not the standard woodlouse you see - it had a light-coloured edge and it's back two pairs of legs were significantly longer than the others. Does anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

• Louse compressed.jpg
    Louse compressed.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 176
All that I can say is that it's a lousey photo ...

(Sorry! ;) )

Actually looks reasonably like one of the standard woodlouse sp. ( http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/common-shiny-woodlouse ), not sure about the back leg length though.

Sorry about the photo quality - it was taken in near darkness with a hand-held torch over it.

Unfortunately the photos on the website look nothing like the louse. Thanks for your help though Dan.

Monk wood 9 white admirals and 2 silver washed fritillaries , the latter also seen in wyre Forrest the week before.

Scarlet Tiger Moth

A Scarlet Tiger moth alongside Diglis lock, Worcester, this morning and again this afternoon.

Attachments

• Scarlet Tiger Moth 2017 114245045_HDR.jpg
    Scarlet Tiger Moth 2017 114245045_HDR.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 75
Not recorded in the UK until 1999, Small Red-eyed Damselfly is marching westward with a number of sites in VC37 (old Worcestershire) being colonised, including Lifford Reserviour, Kings Norton below.

Des.

Attachments

• S R E Dfly-L Res-4.jpg
    S R E Dfly-L Res-4.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 121
  • S R E Dfly-L Res-5.jpg
    S R E Dfly-L Res-5.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 98
Just seen a Hummingbird Hawk Moth outside my office in Malvern - quite unusual for the last week of November I would think.

Just seen a Hummingbird Hawk Moth outside my office in Malvern - quite unusual for the last week of November I would think.

Put your record on the Butterfly Conservation website Dave. There is a section for migratory butterflies and moths, unless you've already done so, of course.

Des.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back