• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (3 Viewers)

The only hedge that required trimming, pretty much left till last! The ‘existing’ hedgerows have already been virtually destroyed, invaluable habitat for the decimating population of Yellowhammers...

The footpath to Upper is open again. The plant yard looked to be pretty empty, as though much of it has already been taken away. Still a fair amount of infrastructure in place around the base of the dam. Couple of cameraphone shots attached.

Bird-wise the combination of the windy weather and the work at Upper meant it was very quiet everywhere.

Only thing of note at Upper was a single Barnacle Goose with the Canadas.

Lower - plenty of Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Mallard but not a lot else.

Mill Shrub - a few Mute Swans, plenty of Coot and Moorhen, small group of Canada Geese including one hybrid bird which has all its front-end white parts as a sort of beige colour, and all its front-end black parts as dark brown. Very odd-looking thing.

Two Buzzards in their usual spot, along the freshly-laid track between Upper and Lower.

I had a look at UPPER on Sunday and couldnt get up onto the Dam as the path was fenced off still.....I could hear water coming down the weir/overflow past the old pumphouse and looked over the wall and there was a fair old amount. I thought the Resa must been full to overflowing so quickly walked through the car park for a look...and it was EMPTY...took a couple of phone shots.....the water was being pumped out of the hole they were repairing and down the weir.

Mill Shrub and Lower.....hardly anything around or on the water on Sunday and Tuesday.....just a few Coot and Mallard ...and I mean a few ....normally loads of both. Only noteworthy ones was a couple of Shoveller on Lower and a Buzzard in the trees overlooking the smallholding fields.
Lots of water in Lowe - up over the concrete arms.....and despite the People who look after the fishing etc liking the hedges forming a security barrier the council have cut so far back to almost nothing in one place....

Attachments

• 11 1_fhdr.jpg
    11 1_fhdr.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 11 2_fhdr.jpg
    11 2_fhdr.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 11 3_fhdr.jpg
    11 3_fhdr.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 11 9_fhdr.jpg
    11 9_fhdr.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 11 8_fhdr.jpg
    11 8_fhdr.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 85
Lower, 1pm:

Teal x4
Shoveler x2
Little Grebe x3
Great Crested Grebe - at least a dozen, maybe as many as 20?
Cormorant

Green Woodpecker calling.
Redpoll in the tree tops to the east of the reservoir.

COFTON PARK...8.30pm

Tawny Owl ....a slow glide from the park just before turn into Groveley Lane,over the road in front of my car and over fence across the derelict land towards the railway line....Yippee....only 2nd Tawny I have SEEN.

I hate Captchas

Upper Bittell footpath at the dam still closed. Had to take a bloody long detour* because these cretins can not do a decent job.

Right...birds!

Not a lot to be honest, but a Cuckoo in trees along the canal. Last 3 years and around the same date!!

Drake Mandarin between fisheries and lower Bittell. Kept to one area, back and forth...breeding female nearby?

Raven and sore feet...

*Just when are they refilling the thing!!!

Was the Mandarin on the Canal.....we have had a Male around area for years....usually with a Female Wood Duck.......I heard last year that when Upper repaired they will let it fill naturally to help with not spreading nasties from canal

Was the Mandarin on the Canal.....we have had a Male around area for years....usually with a Female Wood Duck.......I heard last year that when Upper repaired they will let it fill naturally to help with not spreading nasties from canal

Yes Keith, on the Canal. Cuckoo from Bridge at Stables. :t:

7LOWER....7pm

Pair Gadwall just dropped in...

Mrs mallard with 11 chicks on Mill Shrub

Swallow numbers had built up considerably but none tonight.

Last edited:
LOWER....7.15pm

Around 15-20 Swift
5 House Martin
3 Swallow

The Swans on the Mill Shrub nest now out and about with 7 young.
Mallard with 8 young.

9.10 pm.....TAWNY OWL flew almost into my car as I was passing the little cottage on Redditch Road just before the "Manor House "...... I was only going around 30 and stopped and reversed where I could view it - mainly in silhouette ...really low down in the trees.....it was watching me as much as I was looking at it.....it flew along the line of the trees and perched further along where I let it getting on with finding its grub......on a massive high now....

No sorry Rob...I have not been around here very often recently and when I have theres been no one to ask.....will have to try and find out how things are going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back