• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (2 Viewers)

Made had a trip to jubilee gardens bewdley to see hawfinches ,these birds are usually hard to see in Worcestershire but all you have to do is sit on a park bench and wait. I personally saw 5 but 16 were seen by other observers. While there 2 female goosanders flew south. Went on to visit eyemore wood but drew a blank on crossbillls ,however returning at the top of hill leading down to trimpley resevior a small patch of sunflower /cabbage by a lay-by held chaffinch greenfinch and at least 8 brambling.

After seeing a couple of reports of Hawfinches at Tardebigge Church, I visited around 10am this morning. The early mist was burning away from the tree tops. Hawfinches in clear view high in the trees between the church and the car park. Occasionally a couple of them would disappear into the Yews to feed, so I didn't get an exact count. I had a maximum of nine birds visible at any one time. Sufficiently stationary that I could get the scope on them.

A couple of record shots attached. The grey blobs in the second photo are all Hawfinches - I reckon there's seven visible in that shot?

Also good numbers of Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Goldfinch, and a couple of Nuthatches.

Attachments

• 2018-01-10_hawfinch_1.jpg
    2018-01-10_hawfinch_1.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 2018-01-10_hawfinch_2.jpg
    2018-01-10_hawfinch_2.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 125
Just had a short trip to Hillcourt Farm and Blacklands. 6 pintails :) shelduck, teal and a number of wigeon.

Well worth the visit :)

Struggling with not great campsite wifi!!!!! Will try to upload better pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 74
Back home in Brum - quality of photo not great, but you can see the pintails!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 68
I read about Nightingales at Croome Park on the internet so thought I would take a visit. It's a National Trust house and park. I asked for directions and was told the wooded area at the far end of the river towards the castle. However as I walked along the footpath next to a cow field/meadow I could hear a Nightingale singing really loudly from a hawthorn bushed, scrub area at the side of the field. So I went in the field to the scrub and listened to Nightingale sing for over half an hour. It wasn't in full song but covered some of the range of Nightingale song, it was pretty loud though which was good. After that I checked the wooded area but could only hear one Nightingale singing quietly in the depth of a scrub area in the wood. Great!

Last edited:
Ribbesford wood ,blackcap,chiffchaff, willow warbler, garden warbler, spotted flycatcher, tawny owl and GS woodpecker all seen and heard, I’ll try again tonight for woodcock and nightjar.

Another visit to Croome park again today. The Nightingales were singing along the wood, near the end of the river. They were not singing that loud or for that long but were right next to the footpath so I could hear them clearly. I saw one of them and it moved quicker than I expected. It would sing for a couple minutes and then call with a high note for a couple minutes and then a low note before singing again. Great!

Bredon Hill

Whilst walking around Bredon Hill yesterday (Monday 20th August) I came across a young bird on the ground. The whiteness of its underparts and the brown on its back and head led me to think Pied Flycatcher. Does anyone know if they are present in the area?

There were also 2 Red Kites in the Eckington area.

Whilst walking around Bredon Hill yesterday (Monday 20th August) I came across a young bird on the ground. The whiteness of its underparts and the brown on its back and head led me to think Pied Flycatcher. Does anyone know if they are present in the area?

There were also 2 Red Kites in the Eckington area.

Pied Fly could turn up there on passage at this time of year but it would be unusual to see one on the ground - have you ruled out female-type Wheatear? They are a terrestrial species and are regular on Bredon at this time of year.

Hi Woodchat
Sorry I didn't make myself very clear in the previous post. The young bird was on the ground as though it was being fed by parent birds so it presumably came from a nest nearby. It did not seem capable of flight yet. I was with another birder at the time and we did explore a few other possibilities to Pied Flycatcher. We should have photographed it but the bird looked in distress so we left it alone as soon as we could. I have looked up young wheatear on Google images but the white on the bird's underparts was much whiter than that;almost tree-creeper white if you know what I mean.

It was seen in a wooded section of the walk near Great Comberton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back