• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Westwood Pool Question (1 Viewer)

Tomwbhx

I need to retire! ....oh I have!
United Kingdom
I have seen a few references to Westwood Pool recently and that it is a permit only site. However I can't seem to find any details about access, ownership or how to obtain a permit anywhere. Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
Tom

I have seen a few references to Westwood Pool recently and that it is a permit only site. However I can't seem to find any details about access, ownership or how to obtain a permit anywhere. Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
Tom

Same here.....all I know is that it could be just on the edge of Droitwich.

Re Westwood Pool

Same here.....all I know is that it could be just on the edge of Droitwich.

Hi Guys,
I asked the same question recently , here is the answer-

Hi Phil , can you obtain a permit on site ?

Philip Andrews

I'm afraid not - the owner is very strict. I believe there are only around 10 permit holders but Mr Westwood (Wayne Dutton) usually manages to twist the owners arm yo allow time limited access for a certain level of rarity e.g. Spot Sand, GN Diver, Surf Scoter, RN Phal etc

Westwood Great Pool SSSI is a privately owned site. They grant a very limited number of permits to birdwatchers - probably less than a dozen. Anyone applying for a permit would be on a long waiting list and would probably have to wait until a current holder surrenders theirs. One of the permit holders who is the key contact at this site often arranges wider access if and when a rare bird turns up. However, this wider access is at the discretion of the owners and is not guaranteed and could be refused or withdrawn at any time.

The site contains what is one of the largest bodies of water in the county and is particularly noted for its aquatic flora (SSSI designation) and winter gull roosts.

Hope that helps.

Westwood Great Pool SSSI is a privately owned site. They grant a very limited number of permits to birdwatchers - probably less than a dozen. Anyone applying for a permit would be on a long waiting list and would probably have to wait until a current holder surrenders theirs. One of the permit holders who is the key contact at this site often arranges wider access if and when a rare bird turns up. However, this wider access is at the discretion of the owners and is not guaranteed and could be refused or withdrawn at any time.

The site contains what is one of the largest bodies of water in the county and is particularly noted for its aquatic flora (SSSI designation) and winter gull roosts.

Hope that helps.

Thanks ...yes it helps.....no chance to visit then...lol

Thanks ...yes it helps.....no chance to visit then...lol

Keith,

If anything significant turns up there I will personally let you know via PM if access is granted. May be a while though - I think the last time I visited was 5+ years ago for the Spotted Sandpiper. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back