• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (3 Viewers)

Went to Lower Park Farm earlier only briefly as it was on the way back from getting a new pair of Bins for my birthday and mom was in the car! Saw about 10 in the field to the right of the entrance looking at it but there could easily have been more.

Anyone been to look for the possible Nutcracker reported in Hadley? Or anyone know any more details on it?

Also I've decided to do a Worcs year list and an Upton Year list for the first time this year seen as Brian's made a section for it on his website be interesting to see what I can get. Anyone know of anywhere I can view a map that shows the Worcestershire county boundary? And are there many sites out there that are spilt by the boundary to another county that anyone knows of?

Hi Tim,

Re: Nutcracker. Spoken to the lucky observer of the bird and the description sounds very interesting. As large as a Green Woodpecker (ruling out Starling), brown body plumage covered in silver/'gold' inverted triangles particulary on the neck, contrasting with golden brown and well defined cap to head. Plain brown wings, large bill and conspicous legs. Despite the 'gold' references (which may have been an artefact of the light) it's hard to imagine what else it could have been. It has not been seen today or yesterday.

The Yearlist page is now up and running here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/worcestershire_birders_year_lists_73.html

It will be updated as frequently as possible, but please be patient, particulary during the first few months as lists (& rankings) can change dramatically in a few days!

Brian

www.worcesterbirding.co.uk
www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk
www.westmidlandsbirding.co.uk

Thanks Sy think I have it sorted now, is it me or does the county border split the Wyre Forest in half?

Hi Tim,

Re: Nutcracker. Spoken to the lucky observer of the bird and the description sounds very interesting. As large as a Green Woodpecker (ruling out Starling), brown body plumage covered in silver/'gold' inverted triangles particulary on the neck, contrasting with golden brown and well defined cap to head. Plain brown wings, large bill and conspicous legs. Despite the 'gold' references (which may have been an artefact of the light) it's hard to imagine what else it could have been. It has not been seen today or yesterday.

The Yearlist page is now up and running here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/worcestershire_birders_year_lists_73.html

It will be updated as frequently as possible, but please be patient, particulary during the first few months as lists (& rankings) can change dramatically in a few days!

Brian

www.worcesterbirding.co.uk
www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk
www.westmidlandsbirding.co.uk

Sounds like a good description then, lets hope its soon re-found then!

No worries, I've never done it before so I'm really not sure what to expect with how many birds I'll see, guess I'll just have to wait and find out!

Thanks Sy think I have it sorted now, is it me or does the county border split the Wyre Forest in half?

Dowels Brooke, running through the middle of the Wyre Forest forms the border between Worcestershire and Shropshire, so yes the border does split the forest in half.
Jackie

Dowels Brooke, running through the middle of the Wyre Forest forms the border between Worcestershire and Shropshire, so yes the border does split the forest in half.
Jackie

Thanks Jax I'll have to keep an eye on where I see birds next time I go if I'm gonna do this Worcs year list properly!

Hi Tim,
Another area only partly in Worcestershire is the Malvern Hills. Map with county borders at http://www.malvernhillsaonb.org.uk/pages/images/Map_LocationMapOS.jpg
Matt

Cheers Matt will keep an eye on the border next time I'm here.

Popped up to Grovely Dingle today and managed 7+ Woodcock!!! Nice lifer early on in the year.

Full trip report posted on my blog- http://timsbirding.blogspot.com/

I managed to get the Glossy Ibis at Holt Fleet this morning, and then saw a nice but brief Bittern at Upton Warren, plus 3 Water Rails. A nice start to my New Year List.
Jackie

a bit of late news from the week
after hearing news on a flock of crossbills nearby i decided to go for them
the flock of 42 was very quickly located and i started snapping away in the rain(photos rubbish) the next day we went back again to find more people looking for the flock, 23 crossbills were on top car park then we found an amazing flock of 60 near the water works,on the river 21 mandarin and 4 crossbill flew over
MB

a bit of late news from the week
after hearing news on a flock of crossbills nearby i decided to go for them
the flock of 42 was very quickly located and i started snapping away in the rain(photos rubbish) the next day we went back again to find more people looking for the flock, 23 crossbills were on top car park then we found an amazing flock of 60 near the water works,on the river 21 mandarin and 4 crossbill flew over
MB

Are these the crossbills at the lickey hills or elsewhere ?

worcesterbirding.co.uk reported 10 Crossbills on the Lickey Hills at Cofton Hill yesterday afternoon. Also 3 Crossbills on Bilberry Hill at midday yesterday.

And, several Crossbills still at Eymore Wood in larches by top car park yesterday.

Tim

Try this one mate: Worcester County Map.

For the purposes of wildlife recording the 'county' boundary is not the same as the administrative boundary.

Worcestershire is Vice County 37 and the boundary at the north of the county does stretch into the West Midlands. I copied a map at WWT many years ago but there must be an internet answer somewhere.

Bewdley Goosanders

Don't really know if this is this best place to post this but I saw 3 females on the river in the centre of town last week, but today I noticed 4 males as well as 3 females. I will certainly popping down again when the weather clears a little to hopefully get a reasonable picture of a male.

I hope someone finds this info useful.

Pete:t:

Goosansers are popping up everywhere. There was one on the small lake at Winterbourne Gardens, on the campus at Birmingham University. I guess they are one of those species that is most reluctant to head to the coast when everything starts freezing over.

Don't really know if this is this best place to post this but I saw 3 females on the river in the centre of town last week, but today I noticed 4 males as well as 3 females. I will certainly popping down again when the weather clears a little to hopefully get a reasonable picture of a male.

well done with this sighting, i had a quick look for them last saturday, but there was no sign, keep us updaed if you see them again, you local to the area then
are they by the bridge along severnside north or south
MB

Hi Pete any rare or unusual bird is worth putting on the worcester birding site and go into 'submit news' . Goosander is one of those species.
and then post here

http://worcesterbirding.co.uk/

cheers John

Last edited:
Yes they seemed to be up and down the river while I was there. Same last week. I think if you walk from dog lane car park down thru town right the way to gardeners meadow car park I wouldn't think you could miss them.

Unless I have just been lucky.

Best of luck :t:

Im thinking of going down to Holt this sunday to try and get the Glossy Ibis but also thinking of catching it on the way down to slimbridge so was thinking of getting there early like half 7ish, anyone know if its been seen first thing in the morning or does it roost elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back