• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (2 Viewers)

No sign of Redstarts as yet....a few more birds are coming around so gjve it about anofher 45 mins then off to work.
Keith

It was nice to see a family party of Spotted Flycatchers at my sister's house in Dormston this afternoon. Apparently they nested in the climbing plants on one of the barns and fledged in the last few days.

They have been very scarce on my patch this year so it's good to know they are doing ok elsewhere.

Redstarts Wast Hills

Been over twice since saw nothing then today found juv in same place. very elusive only showing for short periods then disappearing. Could hear hweet contact call (likeWillow Warbler) but no show parents

Attachments

• Bird Redstart juv1 8 7 2014.jpg
    Bird Redstart juv1 8 7 2014.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 63
Wast Hills Redstarts

Mobile and elusive as ever in hedgerows but still showing with perseverance. It seems that there are two ages of juvs 1 streaky young and 2 older juvs,possible second brood. Adult male still in relative close attendance. Usual excuses with digiscope in shadow under hedge very mobile but superb to have them so close to home. Last Redstart so close was on the Lickeys in the 80's but that was when we still had Pied Fly, Tree Pipit and Wood Warbler there!

Attachments

• Bird Redstart male 1 16.7.14.jpg
    Bird Redstart male 1 16.7.14.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 56
No luck with the Redstarts again...a couple of hours around midday tuned up a few Goldfinches...Whitethroats ...Buzzard and some of the local Blackbirds,Tits etc.
A couple of The Large (golden) Brown dragons kept an eye on me and at the pond in the adjacent field on the top of Wast Hill there were more Browns with Southern and an as yet I.D.'d smaller dark dragon.

1.What I wanted
2.What I got....lol
3 One of the pair of Buzzards that seem to live in the evergreens by the road.

p.s. got of to work straight after and had another Buzzard over the £1.50 a day Car Park at Lonbridge....sorry not quite Worcestershire.

Attachments

• 52048_1371803689.jpg
    52048_1371803689.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 46
  • New Canon 70 039 AQ.jpg
    New Canon 70 039 AQ.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 72
  • New Canon 70 052.JPG
    New Canon 70 052.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 58
Wast Hills Redstarts.
Still at least two birds present Female in hedge elusive as ever Male around pond on North Worcs path after Autism centre. Great to still have them about Chiffchaffs Lesser Whitethroat 1 Hobby and 9 Raven most I have seen together

Its the pool at top of hill I think the one you found the Spot Flys at last year. The Redstart was only in view for a minute then dissappeared

I did check out there when you had them in July.it is the Sot Fly pond.
Have to find some time for another little look.

Had a great afternoon of "non" birding at Croome this afternoon. Had a great view of a Whinchat. In addition, had a good sighting of a little owl.

Juvenile Grey Phalarope showing up until just before dark at Westwood, quite flighty though.

Please note, if bird is present tomorrow morning, it will very likely be flushed when water ski-ing takes place in the afternoon, Hopefully, this may 'encourage' the bird to move to a more accessible location, such as Upton Warren or Grimley (Or in fact, any tiny pool!) Keep a look out!
MB

Is there any news on this bird today, and whether access for non permit holders would be allowed?

I have never been to Westwood so any advice and directions when on site should access be granted would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any news on this bird today, and whether access for non permit holders would be allowed?

I have never been to Westwood so any advice and directions when on site should access be granted would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne tweeted that there was no sign early morning (although foggy)

Mandarin Duck

A first for Cofton Reservoir as far as I know. A Mandarin flew in this lunchtime. It eventually swam to the shore and started eating grass. Not a ringed bird.

Attachments

• Mandarin 14 sep 1 small.jpg
    Mandarin 14 sep 1 small.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Mandarin 14 sep 3 small.jpg
    Mandarin 14 sep 3 small.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back