• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (3 Viewers)

Im thinking of going down to Holt this sunday to try and get the Glossy Ibis but also thinking of catching it on the way down to slimbridge so was thinking of getting there early like half 7ish, anyone know if its been seen first thing in the morning or does it roost elsewhere?

I got there at 7.45ish and it was too dark and misty to see anything but a fellow i met back at the bridge saw it within half an hour,so it was there early but the conditions need to be good to see it( i saw it about midday i think)

I went to find the goosanders yesterday and there were more than previously. I saw 12 together in a group flying upstream. And individually I spotted 6 males and 9 females. A wander from gardeners meadow car park up to dowles will definately produce results for anyone wanting to see these.

Ps. There was also a cormorant and and Great Crested Grebe easily visible in the town.

Best wishes, Pete

Last edited:
I went to find the goosanders yesterday and there were more than previously. I saw 12 together in a group flying upstream. And individually I spotted 6 males and 9 females. A wander from gardeners meadow car park up to dowles will definately produce results for anyone wanting to see these.

Ps. There was also a cormorant and and Great Crested Grebe easily visible in the town.

Best wishes, Pete

never seen a great crested grebe on the river, would be nice to see

suppose its the pools and lakes freezing over pushing them onto the river

Best wishes, Pete

Pete

This is the sort of sighting for which the Worcestershire Recorder will thank you immensely.
Please consider sending this and similar sightings to:
infoATworcesterbirding.co.uk
(replacing the AT with @, of course).

These are the A, B & C List Species that Brian Stretch would be most interested in hearing about.
Generally speaking:
Category A - these species require a full written description to confirm that the correct identification has been achieved.

Category B - these species require the observers name(s) for the record to be accepted but a brief description may also requested, particularly if the record is from an unusual location or at an unusual time of the year.

Category C - these species do not fall within the above categories for recording purposes but are still of interest to be included on the sightings page of this website.

Other Species - these species will not generally be included on the sightings page due to the number of birds occuring annually but early/late records of summer & winter visitors will be included. All records can of course be submitted to the county recorder.

*Species Category
*Bewick's Swan A
*Whooper Swan A
*Bean Goose A
*Pink-footed Goose B
*White-fronted Goose A
*Brent Goose A
*Egyptian Goose B
*Mandarin C
*American Wigeon* A
*Green-winged Teal A
*Pintail C
*Garganey B
*Blue-winged Teal A
*Red-crested Pochard B
*Ring-necked Duck A
*Ferruginous Duck A
*Scaup B
*Lesser Scaup A
*Eider A
*Long-tailed Duck A
*Common Scoter B
*Surf Scoter A
*Velvet Scoter A
*Goldeneye C
*Smew A
*Red-breasted Merganser A
*Goosander C
*Black Grouse (extinct) A
*Grey Partridge C
*Quail A
*Red-throated Diver A
*Black-throated Diver A
*Great Northern Diver A
*Red-necked Grebe A
*Slavonian Grebe A
*Black-necked Grebe A
*Fulmar A
*Manx Shearwater A
*Storm Petrel A
*Leach's Petrel A
*Gannet A
*Shag A
*Bittern A**
*Little Bittern A
*Night Heron A
*Squacco Heron A
*Cattle Egret A
*Little Egret C
*Great White Egret A
*Purple Heron A
*Black Stork A
*White Stork A
*Spoonbill A
*Honey Buzzard A
*Black Kite A
*Red Kite C
*White-tailed Eagle A
*Marsh Harrier A
*Hen Harrier A
*Montagu's Harrier A
*Goshawk A
*Rough-legged Buzzard A
*Osprey B
*Red-footed Falcon A
*Merlin B
*Hobby C
*Spotted Crake A
*Corncrake A
*Common Crane A
*Great Bustard A
*Black-winged Stilt A
*Avocet A**
*Stone Curlew A
*Collared Pratincole A
*Kentish Plover A
*Dotterel A
*Golden Plover C
*Grey Plover A
*Knot B
*Sanderling B
*Little Stint B
*Temminck's Stint A
*Least Sandpiper A
*White-rumped Sandpiper A
*Pectoral Sandpiper A
*Curlew Sandpiper B
*Purple Sandpiper A
*Ruff C
*Jack Snipe C
*Long-billed Dowitcher A
*Woodcock C
*Black-tailed Godwit C
*Bar-tailed Godwit B
*Whimbrel B
*Spotted Redshank A
*Greenshank C
*Green Sandpiper C
*Wood Sandpiper A
*Turnstone B
*Wilson's Phalarope A
*Red-necked Phalarope A
*Grey Phalarope A
*Pomarine Skua A
*Arctic Skua A
*Long-tailed Skua A
*Great Skua A
*Mediterranean Gull C
*Laughing Gull A
*Little Gull B
*Sabine's Gull A
*Ring-billed Gull A
*Caspian Gull A
*Yellow-legged Gull C
*Iceland Gull A
*Glaucous Gull A
*Great Black-backed Gull C
*Kittiwake B
*Little Tern A
*Caspian Tern A
*Whiskered Tern A
*Black Tern B
*White-winged Black Tern A
*Sandwich Tern A
*Roseate Tern A
*Arctic Tern B
*Razorbill A
*Little Auk A
*Puffin A
*Pallas's Sandgrouse A
*Turtle Dove C
*Ring-necked Parakeet B
*Long-eared Owl A
*Short-eared Owl B
*Tengmalm's Owl A
*Nightjar A
*Alpine Swift A
*Bee-eater A
*Hoopoe A
*Wryneck A
*Lesser Spotted Woodpecker C
*Woodlark A
*Shorelark A
*Red-rumped Swallow A
*Richard's Pipit A
*Tree Pipit C
*Rock Pipit B
*Water Pipit A
*Yellow Wagtail C
*Waxwing A
*Dipper C
*Nightingale B
*Bluethroat A
*Black Redstart B
*Redstart C
*Whinchat C
*Wheatear C
*Ring Ouzel C
*Dusky Thrush A
*Black-throated Thrush A
*Cetti's Warbler A**
*Grasshopper Warbler B
*Savi's Warbler A
*Aquatic Warbler A
*Marsh Warbler A
*Icterine Warbler A
*Dartford Warbler A
*Pallas's Warbler A
*Yellow-browed Warbler A
*Wood Warbler C
*Firecrest A
*Spotted Flycatcher C
*Pied Flycatcher C
*Bearded Tit A
*Willow Tit A
*Golden Oriole A
*Red-backed Shrike A
*Lesser Grey Shrike A
*Great Grey Shrike A
*Woodchat Shrike A
*Chough A
*Hooded Crow A
*Rose-coloured Starling A
*Tree Sparrow C
*Brambling C
*Serin A
*Twite A
*Mealy Redpoll A
*Arctic Redpoll A
*Two-barred Crossbill A
*Crossbill C
*Hawfinch C
*Lapland Bunting A
*Snow Bunting A
*Pine Bunting A
*Cirl Bunting A - This species will be the next (previously unreported) to be sighted at Upton Warren ;)
*Rustic Bunting A
*Little Bunting A
*Corn Bunting C

Data from: Worcester Birding.
I know, it's a long post, but I thought it worth posting just once in this thread!

Last edited:
19 goosander (7 drake) at blackstone rock, just south of road bridge
also if you follow the track further south you open out onto a weedey field, in this field is a thrush and bunting flock( 30c reed bunting)
MB

Went for a bracing walk in and through Pepper Woods this morning.
GSW, Nuthatch and Bullfinch were the highlights until, on my way back to the car a flock of Blue Tits that I was watching dissipated in all directs and a Red Kite flew low and fast just above the tree tops from SW to NE.
I describe its flight like that because this wasn't some errant stray bird, this bird knew where it was going and what it was doing. There was purpose to its flight.

Here's a link to Pepper Woods.

Went for a bracing walk in and through Pepper Woods this morning.
GSW, Nuthatch and Bullfinch were the highlights until, on my way back to the car a flock of Blue Tits that I was watching dissipated in all directs and a Red Kite flew low and fast just above the tree tops from SW to NE.
I describe its flight like that because this wasn't some errant stray bird, this bird knew where it was going and what it was doing. There was purpose to its flight.

Here's a link to Pepper Woods.

Looks and sounds a good place, Simon! I will have to have a mosey around Pepper Woods! Thanks for the report from today and a good one with the Red Kite!:t:

hey guys (16th)
acted on some 'presant last few days news'. first went into kiddie to look for my collins bird book,didnt have it,then headed over to HURCOTT POOL. after about 10 mins i briefly picked up the BITTERN in flight, it then dropped down into a flattened patch of reeds, i quickly power walked to the next(much closer) viewing point, scanned, i couldent see it, about a minuite in my search it was there, standing in the open, about 15-20 metres from me, IN FULL VIEW..............
full story on blog later(see footer)
trust me one to see
on lickhill today 4 goosander and a constant stream of skylark c20
MB

Looks and sounds a good place, Simon! I will have to have a mosey around Pepper Woods! Thanks for the report from today and a good one with the Red Kite!:t:

Pam

This was my first "hairs on the back of the neck" birding moment of the year. Really special - my first Red Kite sighting in WORCS.

Pam

This was my first "hairs on the back of the neck" birding moment of the year. Really special - my first Red Kite sighting in WORCS.

Great to read of your excitement in seeing the Red Kite, Simon! :t: It is what birdwatching is all about isn't it...the excitement you feel of seeing something really special..aswell as our everyday birdies of course! I was lucky to see a Red Kite fly over my house in May last year, I was pretty chuffed with that sighting!

hey guys (16th)
acted on some 'presant last few days news'. first went into kiddie to look for my collins bird book,didnt have it,then headed over to HURCOTT POOL. after about 10 mins i briefly picked up the BITTERN in flight........

Sounds like you had super views of the Bittern MB! Could you let me know how long the Bittern has been there as I live less than 10 mins away from Hurcott? It would have been nice if the news had been released to the 'wider audience'!!

Sounds like you had super views of the Bittern MB! Could you let me know how long the Bittern has been there as I live less than 10 mins away from Hurcott? It would have been nice if the news had been released to the 'wider audience'!!

hi emma
the bittern has been presant for a few weeks, but with unconfirmed reports for about a month since one of the upton birds dissapeared.
i only live(from my dads house) 15 mins away so a great bird so local.
ask if you want more details on where to view from.........
p.s. it was still there yesterday PM and showing superbly again per worcesterbirding
MB
edit- still there 2day as well

Last edited:
hi emma
the bittern has been presant for a few weeks, but with unconfirmed reports for about a month since one of the upton birds dissapeared.
i only live(from my dads house) 15 mins away so a great bird so local.
ask if you want more details on where to view from.........
p.s. it was still there yesterday PM and showing superbly again per worcesterbirding
MB
edit- still there 2day as well

Thanks for your reply Craig!:t: Just had a look at your blog and you did manage some good views, I should think the Bittern must have been quite hungry to have stayed in full view for so long! Lets hope it stays around for a bit longer.....hopefully until the weekend at least!!!

Hi Emma
I am new to this forum and noticed your post about news not getting out.
In my humble opinion some news is not released because it is a sensitive site or the bird might be easily flushed or the birds welfare is at risk.
I have subscribed to worcester birding and the news of the Bittern you mentioned was on that site several days ago. I therefore wonder how you expect to pick up all the news if you are not subscribing to one of the news web or pager sites. Unless you have a good local grapevine most rarity hunters have to pay for info.
How else do you think the news is released you get nothing for nothing

Cheers EP

Hi Emma
In my humble opinion some news is not released because it is a sensitive site or the bird might be easily flushed or the birds welfare is at risk.
I have subscribed to worcester birding and the news of the Bittern you mentioned was on that site several days ago. I therefore wonder how you expect to pick up all the news if you are not subscribing to one of the news web or pager sites. Unless you have a good local grapevine most rarity hunters have to pay for info.

Cheers EP

I have been birdwatching long enough to know how to find my own birds. I must admit that I have found your post quite offensive and can't help but feel as though I have been targeted on a comment that has been made by myself on a very friendly forum. It is a pity that your first post on Birdforum has been this.

For the record I am not a rarity hunter.

Hi Emma

Cheers EP

Regarding the above two posts. I too wondered how, other than on the web-sites, pagers or phone-lines, it is expected that news will be 'released'? Other than these sources of info, there is only the local grape-vine and if anyone is not included within that then there is virtually no way to find out news of good birds in the area.

It is possible to pick up news from forums such as this, which is where I assume Emma finally picked up the news, but that is a rather hit-and-miss way of obtaining info as there is no guarantee that everything, or indeed anything, will be mentioned.

Regarding the above two posts. I too wondered how, other than on the web-sites, pagers or phone-lines, it is expected that news will be 'released'? Other than these sources of info, there is only the local grape-vine and if anyone is not included within that then there is virtually no way to find out news of good birds in the area.

It is possible to pick up news from forums such as this, which is where I assume Emma finally picked up the news, but that is a rather hit-and-miss way of obtaining info as there is no guarantee that everything, or indeed anything, will be mentioned.

just to put my point across, i only subscribe to brians worcester birding (it is really a great site and well worth the £22, i only subscribe to this because i dont want to know about that G W teal in scotland, no offence to the bird or its finders but why subscribe when you know you wont be able to get there so just stick with the local news and it works well.

as for the bittern, the news was always 'per' other people, therefore it didnt get out, but as soon as i got it last saturday, more birders started seeing it(not wanting to sound to much up my own a**e)
i know some very experianced birders who share their news with me, i am thankful for this as it is an early warning on the 'grape vine', it depends what type of birder you are;), you could like to work a local patch(like me:-O) or you can chase raritys, but like many i will not turn down the opporotunity to see a local uncommon bird,
MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back