• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

hey all
found my very own mecca today, it is on the riverbank in stourport on severn, found an amazing flock of 52 lesser redpoll and a pair of bullfinch(habitat pic attached)
the little grebe is still near blackstone and no less than 3!!! marsh tit visiting feeder's at the adjoining caravan siteB :)
SDC11037.JPG
well worth the 5 hours i spent on the patch todayo:D
(direction to any of the site's can be got by PM' ing me or by email......:t:)
MB

Went for a walk around the Lickey Hills yesterday (31.01.10) morning to see if we could see the Crossbills that had been reported there the previous day. We headed over to Cofton Hill to look over the conifer plantations fom the view point, progress was slow with only Marsh Tit heard and 2 Jays were seen in the conifers however the view of the local countryside and Bittell reservoirs from the top of the hill more than made up for this! On our walk back we happened to stop one last time on the edge of the plantation and were treated to a sudden drop-in of 6 Crossbills in the tree right in front of us! The views were super and the Red & Green colours of the males & females were really striking, their call was also very distinct! Unfortunately the light wasn't too good for photographs but I did manage one record shot!

After our visit to the Lickey Hills we then went on the Bittell Reservoirs (see specfic Bittell thread in Worcs section) and then had a quick visit to Moors Pools at Upton Warren. Most of the pool was still frozen over apart from the section in front of the Lapwing Hide, from here we saw Shoveller, Teal, Pochard, Shelduck, Curlew (12), Common Snipe and a Water Rail was seen mooching about in the reeds. On our way back we saw Pete (Duck_Pond) at the car park and he kindly infomed us that the Bittern had been showing on our side of the pool...out of our view...thanks Pete!!;)o:D:t:

Attachments

• P1000151 [].JPG
    P1000151 [].JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 80
  • P1190428 [].JPG
    P1190428 [].JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 87
  • P1190481 [].JPG
    P1190481 [].JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good sight to see Redpolls? I haven't 'caught up' with them for nearly 5 years. Just seen the post about stourport, is that a reliable place for them? Any suggestions much appreciated!!

It's hard for me to put the words 'work & cracking day' in the same sentance but infact this is what I had yesterday. I was contemplating where to site by camera/box outside of my office window (Warndon Business Park) when we viewed Robins conducting a courtship display that went on for over 10 minutes. They were oblivious to the crowd that had gathered at the windows to see it. I've never seen this before despite 35 years in the field. Throughout the day we had several different species visit within 10ft of the window.

GSW
Blackcap (pair)
Blue tit
Great tit
Robins
Varous Sparrows/Dunnocks
Collared Doves
Redwing
Fieldfare

Great thing about this is the interest it's creating at work. Two girls went to Lidl (on my advice) to get a camera box but came back empty handed. I meant to tell them Aldi so I was not popular when they got back to work.:C

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good sight to see Redpolls? I haven't 'caught up' with them for nearly 5 years. Just seen the post about stourport, is that a reliable place for them? Any suggestions much appreciated!!

Upton Warren might be a decent shout? Sy V will be a good source of info for this, he should be along soon.

Hello,

Upton Warren gets regular sightings had some there last Sat, there generally around the moors pool as you walk along the path to the east hide in some alders there. Spend a bit of time and you might get them.

Midland Birder who had the big Redpoll flock at stourpourt has been back to the same place today I believe and so will probably be along shortly and will let you know if they've been seen again.

Hello,

The Wyre Forest is normally quite reliable. In my experience the area around Lodge Hill Farm is very good, but I was there this week and only saw one Lesser Redpoll all morning.

Hello,

Thursday 4th February 2010 16:34

QUOTE=timmyjones;1723768]Upton Warren gets regular sightings had some there last Sat, there generally around the moors pool as you walk along the path to the east hide in some alders there. Spend a bit of time and you might get them.

Midland Birder who had the big Redpoll flock at stourpourt has been back to the same place today I believe and so will probably be along shortly and will let you know if they've been seen again.[/QUOTE]

hi all
will be on the patch tomorow, and WILL be checking if the flock is still around, i hope so
lineholt just down the road from stourport has a regular flock of 150+ birds, but i have no idea where abouts, this may be worth a check....

reg- keep a lookout on twitter, will post my sightings here and you can take them directly from that...:t:

keep a lookout on www.worcestershiresource.blogspot.com (thats right isnt it reg)
MB

went up to trimpley reserviour today, THE MANDARINS ARE GONE, not a sign, still need them for the year......
but 6 CROSSBILL flew low south calling, 3 at lower car park and 5!!!!! (incl 1+ male) at upper car park
female pochard on small lake showing well.........
MB

Thanks, Craig. I will look you up on Twitter.

Well done on the Crossbills. I didn't see any on Monday. Dammit!

hi everyone
another amzing session on the patch
highlight being a 1st winter drake wigeon on one of the lakes (a site first)
68 lesser redpoll still continue to visit birch/alder trees at the small lake just NW of sandey lane ind est, on opposite bank of river, adjoing redstone caravan park with 20c goldfimch and 20c siskin
report on blog soon.........
MB

Hello,

SJP

Yes, there are one or two small flocks that mill around Upton Warren at this time of year.
Lineholt is also very good as there's a organic farm where the weeds hold migratory finches superbly.
If you want the details please PM me.

Sy

Thanks very much indeed to everyone who has replied with some site suggestions for redpoll, I will try some out next weekend, thank you.

A quick look around Lower Park fisheries Redditch this afternoon
revealed 33 Wigeon, 7 tufted, 31 Greylags, 150 Lapwing and 3 Raven

Took a stroll around the fields this afternoon.
There were a few small mixed finch flocks in the various hedgerows
Several formations of high flying large gulls going North.
But, the highlight was my first sighting this year of one of our resident pair of Buzzards circling high above me and calling lick billy oh!

Attachments

• Buzzard 1.jpg
    Buzzard 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 88
  • Buzzard 2.jpg
    Buzzard 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Buzzard 3.jpg
    Buzzard 3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 106
Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest.
A sunny albeit a rather cold late morning/early afternoon was spent at Dowles Brook yesterday (14th). A Kingfisher was a pleasure to see as it flew very low down the length of the brook, sadly no Dipper today but plenty of time to catch up with it in the weeks ahead. Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Coal, Blue and Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Robin, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Grey Wagtail, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard and Carrion Crow seen along the walk, with Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer and House Sparrow seen at Lodge Hill Farm. I was particularly pleased to see the House Sparrows, amazingly my first of 2010! Hopefully they will have a good breeding season! Raven and Great Spotted Woodpecker heard only.

A quick (in theory) visit to Hurcott Nature Reserve on the way home was very productive. Wren, Great, Blue and Coal Tit, Long-Tailed Tit (in abundance), Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Siskin, Jay, Treecreeper, Goldfinch, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Woodpigeon, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard and Jackdaw all seen along a very short walk on the reserve, after a two and a half hour walk earlier around Dowles Brook we were very pleased with these species seen in such a short space. Three Robins enjoyed seed we placed for them all along the length of the fence top by the seating area (well comfy bench).
All in all a good weather day, a good walk and with some good bird species thrown in for good measure!

Attachments

• Dowles Brook [].JPG
    Dowles Brook [].JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 100
  • P1000493 [].JPG
    P1000493 [].JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 87
Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest.
A sunny albeit a rather cold late morning/early afternoon was spent at Dowles Brook yesterday (14th). A Kingfisher was a pleasure to see as it flew very low down the length of the brook, sadly no Dipper today but plenty of time to catch up with it in the weeks ahead. Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Coal, Blue and Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Robin, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Grey Wagtail, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard and Carrion Crow seen along the walk, with Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer and House Sparrow seen at Lodge Hill Farm. I was particularly pleased to see the House Sparrows, amazingly my first of 2010! Hopefully they will have a good breeding season! Raven and Great Spotted Woodpecker heard only.

A quick (in theory) visit to Hurcott Nature Reserve on the way home was very productive. Wren, Great, Blue and Coal Tit, Long-Tailed Tit (in abundance), Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Siskin, Jay, Treecreeper, Goldfinch, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Woodpigeon, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard and Jackdaw all seen along a very short walk on the reserve, after a two and a half hour walk earlier around Dowles Brook we were very pleased with these species seen in such a short space. Three Robins enjoyed seed we placed for them all along the length of the fence top by the seating area (well comfy bench).
All in all a good weather day, a good walk and with some good bird species thrown in for good measure!

take it the bittern has gone
sounds like a good couple of days
MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back