• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

for anybody thats interested a DRAKE GADWALL was presant on the lake, off brittania gardens, nw of sandy lane ind est, stourport. . yesteday afternoon, bird seemed relaxed and didnt mind the kids playing 10 m away, another patch mega duck. no sign of redpoll flock though
MB

take it the bittern has gone
sounds like a good couple of days
MB

I was talking to a gentleman who said it hadn't been seen the past week, Craig. I saw a Bittern at Upton on New Years day, so no desperation to see one, always great when you do though!

It was a good one day, Sunday! :-O

At long last, one that didn't b*gger off when I parked up. I spotted this near the Peacock Pub early on Saturday morning in the mist and frost, sat near the roadside.

I love these birds - look rather evil! Loads more shots of a similar pose here...

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 91
Great images, Pete! Not often they pose so well for a pic! :t: You were an early bird at the pub then?o:D

After missing the slav grebe at Feckenham, which incidentally is close to what I said when I heard it had gone, I caught up with the beauty today.

Was so close I could have scooped it out of the water in front of me. Had to back off to get a focus on it.

Have dozens of shots to process, but here are 3 roughly sorted for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 101
On my daily early morning dog walk today in Aston Fields, Bromsgrove I heard and saw a Blackcap in song albeit not in full spring voice. Nevertheless a pleasant surprise and quite early in the year.
Would be interested to hear as and when anyone hears the first Warbler songs this spring.

Last edited:
On my daily early morning dog walk today in Aston Fields, Bromsgrove I heard and saw a Blackcap in song albeit not in full spring voice. Nevertheless a pleasant surprise and quite early in the year.
Would be interested to hear as and when anyone hears the first Warbler songs this spring.

Hi Gert
Have not seen Blackcap in my garden since Christmas. So was well pleased to hear one singing on Saturday (6th March) at the top of the garden
cheers John

After missing the slav grebe at Feckenham, which incidentally is close to what I said when I heard it had gone, I caught up with the beauty today.

Was so close I could have scooped it out of the water in front of me. Had to back off to get a focus on it.

Have dozens of shots to process, but here are 3 roughly sorted for now.

Superb shots Pete.They inspired me to have a go yesterday morning.

Took me a while to realise it was on the smaller fishing lake but I got it in the end.Only got some so so shots mainly because it remained close to the side with the sun in your eyes so my pics are a bit dull.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_5997 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5997 (Large).JPG
    85 KB · Views: 98
Cheers Max - it's a lovely bird. It was on that smaller lake on Sunday morning too. Very accommodating as I mentioned above - had I had one of those children's rockpool type nets, I could have scooped it out of the water from in front of me, it was that close at times.

Some more good shots on your blog I see.

Attachments

• IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
The Slavonian Grebe was showing well again yesterday.Even I got a half decent shot.Well worth a visit.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_6337 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6337 (Large).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 94
You got several good shots from what I've seen on your blog Max. There'll be no fish left in there at its current fishing success rate!

You got several good shots from what I've seen on your blog Max. There'll be no fish left in there at its current fishing success rate!

You are right Pete.To my knowledge it caught 18 decent size perch from 8.00 to 12.30 on the morning I was there.Where the hell does it put it all?????

Max.

In case anyone is interested here are a couple of events I'm running. Part of the proceeds go to the RSPB;

24th April, Birdwatching for beginners workshop on award winning farm, 2pm , Hanbury, Worcestershire. To book call 01527 821461 www.wildhollowfields.co.uk

2nd May , Dawn Chorus walk on award winning farm, 4.30am, with breakfast. Hanbury, Worcestershire. To book call 01527 821461 www.wildhollowfields.co.uk

I went to see the Slav grebe near Grimley this afternoon. I wasn't disapointed, it's a fantastic bird showing down to just a few metres. It was on the bigger watersports lake instead of the smaller fishing lake but still came right in to fish around the juncus in the shallows.
My only grumble is people with no field craft chasing it up and down the lake. I sat in one place with my mate and just waited. We were rewarded with the best veiws you could get bar having one in your hand!

Good stuff
Gareth

In case anyone is interested here are a couple of events I'm running. Part of the proceeds go to the RSPB;

24th April, Birdwatching for beginners workshop on award winning farm, 2pm , Hanbury, Worcestershire. To book call 01527 821461 www.wildhollowfields.co.uk

2nd May , Dawn Chorus walk on award winning farm, 4.30am, with breakfast. Hanbury, Worcestershire. To book call 01527 821461 www.wildhollowfields.co.uk

Looks interesting. I would be interested in any butterfly walks or talks.

In Hagley, Worcestershire this afternoon highlight birds seen were Chiffchaff, Wheatear, c25 Redpoll sp, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Fieldfare, Yellowhammer, Mistle & Song Thrush, Common Buzzards x4 and a Sparrowhawk plunging into a charm of Goldfinches...a sight to see!! All in all a super afternoons birding was had!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back