• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (4 Viewers)

1st winter drake Scaup Lower Bittell this morning seen from causeway with Pochard and Tufted on far side towards Dam. At least 10 Goosander and 3 Gadwall back again after the ice has finally disappeared

Osprey on Upper Bittell caught fish and we (Chris Thomson) hoped it would land and eat it perhaps staying a bit so others could see it. However after circling the reser being mobbed halfheartedly by Buzzards and Swifts it continued to gain height and drifting off north carrying the large fish occasionally adjusting its grip. Fantastic views as it dived and caught the fish but it would have been good if it had stayed about

Osprey on Upper Bittell caught fish and we (Chris Thomson) hoped it would land and eat it perhaps staying a bit so others could see it. However after circling the reser being mobbed halfheartedly by Buzzards and Swifts it continued to gain height and drifting off north carrying the large fish occasionally adjusting its grip. Fantastic views as it dived and caught the fish but it would have been good if it had stayed about

You are honoured to see something like that in England, it's hard enough to see in Scotland outside of paying for the privilige at one of the fish farms. Fair play, and I am sooo jealous :-C

Just posted some shots from Bittell over in the Worcs thread, featuring the black necked grebe and osprey from today.

Also heard from one of the permit holders that people were getting in to get closer to it. It was 40 yards from the road for g*d's sake, how close do you want to get?

There was also a problem at the night heron earlswood. If local patch workers find birds it is (or was ) great to get other birders on site to enjoy your find. However with the amount of 'selfish' behaviour from the few recently, it is understandable why some 'patchworkers' are seriously contemplating the thought of suppression. Anybody not doing a 'local patch' would not necessarily understand the toil, restrictions and hassle that landowners can put on a patchworker. Away from wildlife reserves this can cause that patch worker to be thrown off the land and that site is then lost to all of us. Those people visiting someone else's patch should try and understand that once you have seen the targeted species you will probably never visit that site again. Any bad behaviour is left to the patchworker to pick up the pieces and regain the trust of the landowner which in some cases is untenable. Suffice to say that if visiting other people's patches treat it the same as you would your own (and I know that most people do but there is a definite increase in bad behaviour). With the cost of petrol increasing more pressure is on local (Midlands sites) birding sites and we all depend on 'patch workers' for our rarities, so just respect their places.:t:
B :)John

The only permit holder I know of is Stuart, for Bittell, so it makes me wonder how many of the "water level" shots I have seen aired by folk (on Bird Guides for example), have been from them trespassing. I took mine from the road, as has been said, it was probably closer to that location than the water's edge in the woods.

It took about half a dozen visits and a lot of patience from me, to see it close up and obtain my shots, and not once did I even contemplate trespassing. Who knows what's nesting within the safety of the site?

That said, whenever I was there, and birders came to see it, they behaved properly.

There was also a problem at the night heron earlswood. If local patch workers find birds it is (or was ) great to get other birders on site to enjoy your find. However with the amount of 'selfish' behaviour from the few recently, it is understandable why some 'patchworkers' are seriously contemplating the thought of suppression. Anybody not doing a 'local patch' would not necessarily understand the toil, restrictions and hassle that landowners can put on a patchworker. Away from wildlife reserves this can cause that patch worker to be thrown off the land and that site is then lost to all of us. Those people visiting someone else's patch should try and understand that once you have seen the targeted species you will probably never visit that site again. Any bad behaviour is left to the patchworker to pick up the pieces and regain the trust of the landowner which in some cases is untenable. Suffice to say that if visiting other people's patches treat it the same as you would your own (and I know that most people do but there is a definite increase in bad behaviour). With the cost of petrol increasing more pressure is on local (Midlands sites) birding sites and we all depend on 'patch workers' for our rarities, so just respect their places.:t:
B :)John

Wise words mate

Water levels on Upper Bittell continue to be low, attracting a great range of waders.
Sanderling, Dunlin, Greenshank, Black tailed Godwit and LRP. Even Whimbrel was seen this morning,all the rest were still present this afternoon but only 1 Blk tailed not the 7 seen by Chris Thomson this morning. Views a bit distant but the dam gives the full panorama from the Ravens to the Common Terns looking good for the rest of the 'autumn'!

Nice group of waders still present on Upper Bittell. 2 juv Curlew Sandpipers, 3 Ringed Plover and 4 Dunlin. View from Dam a bit distant but getting closer as levels still very low. Work being done on dam but not causing too much disturbance as waders far enough away

Major fish kill at lower Bittell, dead fish (loads) both sides of the road. Could this affect the waders?

On Saturday we noticed the Arrow here in Alcester was a weird colour and very cloudy, and a dog walker said the Environment Agency were taking samples. Yesterday, a Mute Swan that has been here a while had a 'tidemark' of orange feathers where it had put its head and neck underwater to feed. We couldn't see any dead fish anywhere. Has there been any report about what the pollution was caused by?

Not into these sort of forums usually but just popped in to see if there was a page somewhere that someone uploads info/sightings for Bittell .
I have been an almost daily visitor to the Reservoir/ponds for the past couple of years - mostly around lunchtime before getting off to work.
I just like seeing what's about and hopefully getting a quick I.D. snap of anything so I can look closer at home.
Spent most of the summer in the surrounding fields where I so far have got snaps - so I.D's of around 45 species...highlights being Kingfisher (12-15 foot away),Buzzard,Kestrels,Ravens,Cuckoo (juve),must have bred in the fields (I hope).Also on a very very small pond about 10 Teal and a wader which is so far un snapped and so not I.D'd.
Coupled with loads of Dragonflies/Damsels and Butterflies this is an excellent area which could be passed over but gives rewards if time is invested.
The last few days there's been some activity on Upper Bittell with sightings of Bean and Brent Goose,Golden Plover and Ruff.
I did not really see them as I do not have a scope but thanks to all the fantastic friendly chaps who passed on the info.Also yesterday I just missed a Juve peregrine which quartered the Resa and landed a few times on the far shore.
From reading all the above comments I did not realise so many people took the time to visit the area - I probably have seen a few about but do not know whose who apart from (Duck Pond),a.k.a. Pete.
On a down beat please be aware of cars broken into on the bend area,so keep everything stowed away out of sight...I try not to park there now.
Off now to guess where.......hopefully to see one of the elusive kingies on the outfall rails and snap it...not happened yet.
Here's a couple of them in the fields from the summer.(2nd one a Juve)
Cheers
Keith
King4July_filtered.jpg

King3Julylow_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst Bittell is very close to my home, it remains an unknown entity to me because of the need for exclusive membership which (it has been said) is somewhat difficult to secure.
As I understand it, there are places that Joe Public can access but I've never had the rules nor how to go about securing membership explained to me.
I've attached a map, perhaps someone would like to explain the public/non public areas (apologies for the dodgy scan but the Ordnance Survey servers were down when I wanted to get-a-map).

SJV

Attachments

• Bittell_Map.jpg
    Bittell_Map.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 132
Whilst Bittell is very close to my home, it remains an unknown entity to me because of the need for exclusive membership which (it has been said) is somewhat difficult to secure.
As I understand it, there are places that Joe Public can access but I've never had the rules nor how to go about securing membership explained to me.
I've attached a map, perhaps someone would like to explain the public/non public areas (apologies for the dodgy scan but the Ordnance Survey servers were down when I wanted to get-a-map).

SJV

Hi simon
The Black Circles are where non permit holders can view from, the red circles are the parking spots, and the Blue Lines are where public can walk down to offer views over the lakes, well thats all i know :-O oh, and the public footpaths you can walk along, but you know that!
Bittell_Map.jpg
MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back