• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (3 Viewers)

Some more birds from all around the area.
Robin @ Boat club...
RedBreast2.jpg

Long Tailed Tit.....By on road - lower Bittell....
LLT3.jpg

Mistle Thrush on Mole Hill in field by railway......
MistleThrush.jpg

Female Bully in the tangled undergrowth @ the Old Pumphouse.
BullyFemBittell.jpg

Last edited:
Really cold over the last 10 days,with eventually ALL the 3 resers frozen.
A small Flock(?) of Teal stayed in virtually the same place for a week - on the very edge of the only part not frozen.
A cluster of Swan,Teal,mallard,coot and tufted were keeping it clear and on the very last day of the freeze (Monday 13th ) 3 goosander (1M + 2 F) joined in but soon flew off towards the canal end when they spotted me on the road.

Icybirds.jpg

Elsewhere on the Redditch road edge of the area I study I got a close view of one of the Buzzards in the field...this one always stays right near the road and does a fair impression of the Kestrel - hunting by hovering.

Buzz2.jpg

On the Sunday before it was up by the Hopwood end in it's fave tree.

Buzz1crop.jpg

And good news from the stream this past week...have had several sightings of Kingfisher flying up and down and perching in the low trees.
Keith

Well the weathers changed a bit.Some days are really warm but when the suns been in the wind took over...lower Bittell was like the sea one day.
Not a lot happening around the resers this week but a Kestrel has been hanging around the road just before Cofton Church and asI went under the railway bridge one day something was in the road...this......
2012Rat.jpg

The last few days of the week I visited the fields behind the Fishery and it looked like spring was about with a pair of Muntjac by the stream and 2 firsts here in a Grey Wagtail in the stream and a Golcrest flitting about with the tits.
While looking out the KIngs I was buzzed by a GSW while at least 3 Buzzards and a Kestrel were quartering the fields.
My best flight shot to date....
2012Buzz1.jpg

After waiting an hour on Friday and while being thrilled to see the Wagtail -
even though it was a long way off a Kingfisher flew past him and up into the bare branches...this is where the female used to go when I 1st saw them last year.Some work to do to get them in the open and lower.
Wagtail uncropped showing he was miles away and shot at 1/20 sec :eek!:
2012GreyWag1.jpg

And a bit closer on the "WATERFALL"...
2012GreyWag2.jpg

2 of the Male Kingfisher at 1/40 sec - even with no leaves on teh trees it's still damn dark.
2012King1.jpg

2012King2.jpg

Hoping for some sun over the weekend .....
Keith :t:

7/3/12...

Not a lot around Lower Bittell as they are dredging the far side.
The Great Crested Grebe have paired off and stay around the old nest site....but this other one was keeping out of the way by the outfall area- but the water was very rough....
2012Grebelow.jpg

The end of last week the Female Kestrel was hunting over the upper side of the road and I caught her on the wires by the hay barn/horse field.
MrsKestrel2800.jpg

I have been spending most of my time around the fields and while watching/photing the Kingy the Grey Waggy almost landed in my lap before landing on this rock right under the Kings perch....
WAGGIEROCKPano.jpg

The King dived and came up nearer but then was having trouble on a thinner branch and flew back to a thicker one to bash the fish....
Bashim.jpg
Yesterday (tues the 6th) he played ball and dived almost under the waterfall and stayed down for ages before showing me the fish...don't know if it's a Ruffe or Bullhead but it beats a stickleback...
2012KING9.jpg

Torrential rain most of today so even less about.....

Thanks
Keith :t:

Last edited:
Black Tern showing well on Upper with large flock of Swallow, House and Sand Martin.
Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap singing along Ash path to Lower.
Very pale brown 'Peregrine' Seemed too pale for Immature bird possible Saker/Hybrid?

3 Black necked Grebes in full summer plumage (well one a bit greyer on the body)
Showing very well from road on causeway Lower Bittell

Attachments

• bird bittell BNG 2012 may 008.JPG
    bird bittell BNG 2012 may 008.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Pleasant work this evening from Barnt Green up past both upper and lower reservoirs and fields. Highlights include:

Green Woodpecker, Jay, Whitethroat, Grasshopper Warbler, Several Yellowhammer, 6 Grey Heron on Upper, Chiffchaff, Bullfinch. Nothing much of note on the water though.

Evening Dave
Where abouts did you hear the Gropper reeling?

Hi

It was near the gate at the back of the playing field which goes through to the fields behind the sports club in barnt green. Flew off before I could get a good look but was heard at least twice. Wasn't far from the yellowhammers.

Regards

Surprised about 6 Goosander this morning on the smallest Little Resa.I stuck my head over the hedge and they immediately got spooked- managed a couple of shots before they flew as an Angler entered the gate.
Goosander2.jpg

Goosander1.jpg

Keith

Finally caught up with the elusive but thankfully longstaying Long-tailed Duck.
4th trip to Upper Bittell was rewarded when Chris Thomson pointed out the little blighter tucked away in the North west inlet corner feeding in the shallows up against the trees. Viewed from path over the stubble field behind Cofton Richards farm
With the distant views I had I would say it is a winter female, dark crown and white eye patch. Great bird to finally connect with, perseverance pays.

I went for the Long-tailed Duck today too, seeing it distantly in the NE corner early afternoon and concur with winter female ID, although views poor and just 2-3 seconds long between dives. Surprisingly just 1 Goosander seen. Possibly heard a Water Rail (single call) around the Mill Shrub Pool but not sure.
Matt

Ltd

After hearing on Birdguides that the Long-tailed was still present this morning I decided to have a gander and see if I could finally find it after being at work all week.

Standing on the dam, it was elusive for far too long when it eventually flew across the far bank and landed near a group of canadas and greylag. Diving for a few minutes and moving to behind the netting/fencing that protrudes into the reservoir beyond the sailing club (as viewed from the dam) it then flew back in the direction its seemingly favourite spot in that top tucked away NE corner - dammit...

TOP DUCK all the same and a nice little tick for me.

Well done to everyone who spotted the Long-Tailed Duck.
Miles to far away for me though.
One day THEY will allow the plebs in and around OUR resa.

Mill Shrub Pool...not up on all the local names...only been visiting 50 odd years.....but where is this.
Seen Water Rail in reeds by the gate (near where road has fell in) before now.

Apart from the few Goosanders (see above) the only other things on the lower waters was 1/2 doz Pochard.
Keith

Last edited:
Morning Keith
Mill Shrub Pool is the inlet pool at Lower Bittell, on the left of the causeway coming from Barnt Green, that runs along side the 'ash' path leading to Upper.
The best views Ive had of the LT Duck are from the top of the stubble field on the path that runs from the side of Cofton Richards farm. Now the leaves are falling you can see limited views through the hedge from the North Worcs path but it very muddy and frustrating as its low. If you have scope the top of the field is the best place.

Tuesday 28th Nov....11am.
Popped in not expecting anything on the lower resa with the water being high and muddy...but there were 2 of these....think they are Female Goldeneye......but will happily be corrected.
They were in the middle of the Mill Shrub pool - so a BIG crop.
Keith
Canon18006.jpg

Tuesday 28th Nov....11am.
Popped in not expecting anything on the lower resa with the water being high and muddy...but there were 2 of these....think they are Female Goldeneye......but will happily be corrected.
They were in the middle of the Mill Shrub pool - so a BIG crop.
Keith
Canon18006.jpg

Completly right, Female Goldeneye

Well done
MB

Thanks M.B. good day all round...a 1st of a Goldeneye here and a 1st of a little flock of Waxwings.......sorry not saying where though.
Not being nasty but it would cause disruption if I said where.
Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back