• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (3 Viewers)

Returned once again this afternoon, enjoyed my best views of 3-4 Hawfinches from the bridge, in trees in the opposite direction than the normal trees. Also a pair of Dipper on Dowles brook but no LSW again, also no brambling or siskin this afternoon.

Had a lovely chat to the owner of Lodge Mill Farm, the white cottage by the bridge. He was telling me how some birders/photographers had made their existence quite unpleasant, but what a lovely gent he was. So forgive me for typing bold BUT PLEASE RESPECT THEIR FLIPPING PRIVACY AND DO NOT LINGER BY THEIR PROPERTY.

I'd second that, I was down there alone a few weeks ago and had a nice chat with the owner. Some people have shown a total lack of respect for his privacy pointing scopes, bins and camera's into his Kitchen etc.

Had my first ever trip there yesterday, got the charm of Hawfinches by the bridge (a lifer for me), also got a LSW by the little cottage on the stream (another lifer), also seen Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin, Brambling, GSW by the ton, Mandarin, oooh far too many mention. Also got the most amazing view of a Roe Deer I have ever had no more than 20yds away, it just stood there feeding for ten minutes, it knew we were there but totally ignored us. What a fantastic day will definately be going again, thanks for Bob for the info on how to get there and where the best spots are. :t:

Oh and Fraser got a Redstart which I missed as I was tracking the Hawfinch 8-P

Had my first ever trip there yesterday, got the charm of Hawfinches by the bridge (a lifer for me), also got a LSW by the little cottage on the stream (another lifer), also seen Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin, Brambling, GSW by the ton, Mandarin, oooh far too many mention. Also got the most amazing view of a Roe Deer I have ever had no more than 20yds away, it just stood there feeding for ten minutes, it knew we were there but totally ignored us. What a fantastic day will definately be going again, thanks for Bob for the info on how to get there and where the best spots are. :t:

Thats a brilliant result for a first visit !

I've been twice to see the Hawfinches, took a couple of goes to get the Dippers and got Wooodcock last time. Yet to get Mandarin, LSW, or Marsh Tit there. Should have gone today really but couldn't resist another visit to UW ...so many good birds about ..too little weekend :-C

Thats a brilliant result for a first visit !

I've been twice to see the Hawfinches, took a couple of goes to get the Dippers and got Wooodcock last time. Yet to get Mandarin, LSW, or Marsh Tit there. Should have gone today really but couldn't resist another visit to UW ...so many good birds about ..too little weekend :-C

Cheers :t:

The first pair of Mandarines were sat in a tree, then we saw another pair in the stream/river, I know what you mean about UW it's hard to resist, and too right about the weekend, they should make it three days :-O

A top list there Gavo - many Wyre Forest regulars have missed LSW this winter so you did well. Redstarts seem to be early in this year.

Phil

Not about birds, but does anyone know the best places for a chance to see adders in the Wyre Forest, please?

Not about birds, but does anyone know the best places for a chance to see adders in the Wyre Forest, please?

I have seen them in the open area on the Shropshire side of Dowles Brook, heading westwards uphill after Coopers Mill. Very good for Tree Pipit in this area as well. I have also seen lizards in this locality (species unknown).

Sylvia Sheldon (who lives in one of the dwellings along Dowles Brook, I believe) is the resident Adder expert. She can advise as to the best place, but I've seen them in the area of heath/bracken to the left of the disused railway if walking towards Lodge Hill Farm from the car park.

Does anyone know if all the migrants are in yet. I saw a report of Wood Warbler there yesterday but nothing about Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and Tree Pipit.

I was thinking off going there tomorrow but if they are not in yet I will go elsewhere.

John

Does anyone know if all the migrants are in yet. I saw a report of Wood Warbler there yesterday but nothing about Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and Tree Pipit.

I was thinking off going there tomorrow but if they are not in yet I will go elsewhere.

John

Wood Warbler seen yesterday and today, plus several Redstarts and Tree Pipits are back but no Pied Flycatchers yet. I wouldn't hold your breath for the latter species - becoming more and more difficult to find in recent years.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Yes I know what you mean about the Pied Flys. In fact I haven't seen one there since 2008 at the Wyre Forest, although I have heard the odd one or two without finding them.

John

Wood Warbler seen yesterday and today, plus several Redstarts and Tree Pipits are back but no Pied Flycatchers yet. I wouldn't hold your breath for the latter species - becoming more and more difficult to find in recent years.

Brian

Reader

I know of a place where they can be seen but it's nearer Worcester than Kiddie. PM me if you'd like to know where.

Highlights of two recent visits.

26th February. Blue Tit, Great Tit, Marsh Tit, Wren, Chaffinch, Goldcrest, Blackbird, Robin, House Sparrow, Grey Wagtail, Dipper x2 (in flight).

11th March. Grey Wagtail, Treecreeper x2, Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Kingfisher, Buzzard and Raven x2 . Butterflies seen today were Comma, a distant Clouded Yellow/Brimstone (the consensus being Clouded Yellow), Small Copper and a Red Admiral at the Visitor Centre. A Slow Worm soaking up the sunshine was a pleasing sight to see.

Attachments

• P1220735 [].JPG
    P1220735 [].JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 134
Amazing views of a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker this morning, it was showing wonderfully for at least two minutes, until it flew off, then lo and behold five minutes later it/another flew over our heads.

A great birthday present :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back