• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (3 Viewers)

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the pied flycatchers are still about and what are the chances of seeing on in the next week or so?

Thanks in advance

Perry

Thr Pied Flys are far more visible and vocal when they are first in. Your chances are peobably fairly slim

Thr Pied Flys are far more visible and vocal when they are first in. Your chances are peobably fairly slim

Thanks Phil,

pretty much what I thought. Are they still present in the forest/ Or have they started to head south? We have had quite a few through the south east in the last week or so..

Perry

Saw them at Wimperhill, off the main track, where the tributary stream runs down in to Dowles Brook. There's a narrow muddy little track running above the stream and plenty of Conifers.
Jackie

Dippers?

Saw them at Wimperhill, off the main track, where the tributary stream runs down in to Dowles Brook. There's a narrow muddy little track running above the stream and plenty of Conifers.
Jackie

Jackie
Are you a regular at Dowles Brook? Saturday was our first visit and greatly enjoyed it. We had hoped for a Dipper sighting but to no avail (we walked up from Dry Mill Car park along the cycle route and dropped down to the brook and walked all the way back along the brook)

Just wondered if you knew a good spot along that route

Cheers
Tom

Jackie
Are you a regular at Dowles Brook? Saturday was our first visit and greatly enjoyed it. We had hoped for a Dipper sighting but to no avail (we walked up from Dry Mill Car park along the cycle route and dropped down to the brook and walked all the way back along the brook)

Just wondered if you knew a good spot along that route

Cheers
Tom

Hi, they are are by no means nailed on. Probably see them less than 50 % of the time ? but I would say if you visit at the weekend, when there are lots of walkers, dog walkers, and cyclists your chances are much more reduced.
That section of the Wyre can be great, It can also be VERY quiet, part of the charm and adventure really
If you can get down there on a weekday your chances would be much improved :t:

Last edited:
Tom
As Woodwolf said these birds are easily disturbed, but this is a good area for them. I have been lucky enough to see a pair of Kingfishers and a pair of Dipper at the same time and at the same spot, feeding within feet of each other. Then 3 dogs and their owner noisily splashed up the streambed itself, frightening off all 4 birds. I swore under my breath and gave him a dirty look, but I doubt that he gave a thought to who he was disturbing.
Jackie

Hawfinch again at Lodge Hill, plus 2 dippers together on the stream, and at least 6 Crossbills up towards Button Oak.
Jackie

Plenty of birdlife in the Wyre today: A pair of Mandarin on the flood pool just downhill from the Dry Mill Lane car park. Small flock of Siskin in Knowles Coppice, 20+ Lesser Redpoll along the old railway line. Plenty of birds around Lodge Hill Farm including Nuthatch, Great-Spotted Woodpecker etc but I missed out on Hawfinch and Dipper :-(

jan 1st

i was down on the 1st on the bridge at lodge farm had a single hawfinch and a goshawk, no sign of dippers though too much water going through i would guess.

Hi there

Thinking of looking for the Hawfinch this week - can anyone tell me the best place to look?

Recently moved to Kiddy, very near the safari park, so will be getting out and about. Locals, please pm me with help And I'll return the favour with details of everything interesting. I'm interested in all types of wildlife as well as birds.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,

From the centre of Bewdley take the B4190 Cleobury Road up the hill. After approx 0.5 miles turn right into The Lakes Road. After around 200 metres you will come to a crossroads just after a small parade of shops. Turn left onto Dry Mill Lane and follow it down the hill until you reach the small Forestry Commission car park. Walk westwards along the old railway track fpr just over 0.5 mile until you reach a railway bridge next to a whitewashed farm house. Take the footpath up onto the bridge and watch the surrounding trees, particularly the old orchard to the left of the bridge.

This area is very good for all three woodpeckers, Redstart, Pied Fly, Wood Warbler, Tree Pipit, Yellowhammer, roding Woodcock, Redpoll, Siskin, Treecreeper, Nuthatch etc. Dowles Brook below the railway line holds Grey Wagtail, Mandarin and Dipper.

Perhaps you may wish to venture to the centre of Worcestershire birding, Upton Warren :t:

Thanks Phil. Perhaps you could PM me so we can swap phone numbers in case locally good stuff turns up?

Of course, I have been to Upton Warren a time or two, notably for Least Sand and Wilson's phal (didn't it have a Blue-winged teal one August as well?).

Last time I birded the Wyre was 1981, when I saw Crossbill, Dipper, Wood warbler etc. All ticks for me haha!

Given the amount of places local to me (Devil's Spittlefull, Wyre, Rifle Range, etc etc), I'll probably stay quite local, but of course Upton Warren is less than 10 miles, so I'm sure I'll drop in.

Since moving in November, I've already had a Lesser spot in Brinton's Park, Kidderminster, two or three Waxwings locally (brief sightings) as well as those at Upton and elsewhere, and a Blackcap in the garden. So all in all, a good start.

The other thing I'll be looking for is Orchids, so if anyone has good local sites, even for common stuff, or access to od records for rarer stuff, all information would be welcome.

In particular, although I have two sites in the Wyre, I believe Sword-leaved helleborine occurs at four spots - does anyone know them?

Thanks in advance

Sean

UW had its fourth BW Teal between 19th and 27th August 1989. Dont know much about orchids but I am sure others do - at Upton we get Marsh, Bee and Pyramidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back