• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (2 Viewers)

The 18th species of wader at Grimley for 2012 came in the form an unseasonal Curlew Sandpiper this morning.

The recently landscaped north end of the Camp Lane Pits and subsequent flooding have created what is probably the best habitat for breeding and passage waders in the county at the current time.

Grey Plover, 2 Avocets, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit, Greenshank, 3 Dunlin and 2 Ringed Plover have been the highlights amongst the commoner species so far this year. With the main passage period yet to commence hopefully many more will be recorded.

Brian

The 18th species of wader at Grimley for 2012 came in the form an unseasonal Curlew Sandpiper this morning.

The recently landscaped north end of the Camp Lane Pits and subsequent flooding have created what is probably the best habitat for breeding and passage waders in the county at the current time.

Grey Plover, 2 Avocets, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit, Greenshank, 3 Dunlin and 2 Ringed Plover have been the highlights amongst the commoner species so far this year. With the main passage period yet to commence hopefully many more will be recorded.

Brian

Looking good Brian, was delighted with the Grey Plover, Curlew Sand I would have come running for but work would not allow, nevermind, as you say, sure there is more to come :t:

4 year firsts today. A Hobby showed well flying past at 10.10am, Reed and Sedge Warbler showing and singing, a Swift and c15 Yellow Wagtails on the causeway.
A bit of video here

Attachments

• blogyell.jpg
    blogyell.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 160
The best site count of Yellow Wagtails at Grimley for many years today. At least 21 were noted: 17+ at Camp Lane Pits and 4 at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits. Other migrants in the area included 3 White Wagtails, Dunlin, Ringed Plover and 13 Wheatear.

Brian

The Grimley 'waderfest' continues with the past week producing a Little Stint, Wood Sandpiper, 6 Sanderling, 3 Greenshank, 7+ Dunlin and 5+ Ringed Plover.

Pictures and a video clip of the Little Stint now online here.

Brian

Congratulations to Roger Maskew for digging out an adult White-rumped Sand at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits today, only the second for Worcestershire. Also present this evening were 2 Green Sand, 5 Common Sand, 4+ Common Tern, 4+ Oystercatcher and a female Mandarin.

For those wishing to make a comparison, please find attached a link to photos of the White-rumped Sand that was present at Frampton Marsh RSPB, Lincs up to Thursday: http://www.lincsbirds.co.uk/album/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=4

Last edited:
Congratulations to Roger Maskew for digging out an adult White-rumped Sand at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits today, only the second for Worcestershire. Also present this evening were 2 Green Sand, 5 Common Sand, 4+ Common Tern, 4+ Oystercatcher and a female Mandarin.

For those wishing to make a comparison, please find attached a link to photos of the White-rumped Sand that was present at Frampton Marsh RSPB, Lincs up to Thursday: http://www.lincsbirds.co.uk/album/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=4

Phil, would you be able to post a grid-ref for where to see the white-rumped sand? I'm new to the area (as in, moving here 3 weeks ago) and haven't susssed out where the best spots are. Cheers, Rich

Phil, would you be able to post a grid-ref for where to see the white-rumped sand? I'm new to the area (as in, moving here 3 weeks ago) and haven't susssed out where the best spots are. Cheers, Rich

Rich - I am not sure the way I got there is the correct one! I will have a chat with Brian Stretch and if its still there post the directions

The Wagon Wheel Lane flood is here. It is best viewed from the public footpath to the south that runs east from the north end of the village. When in full flood it is impassable but is OK at the moment.

There was again no sign of the White-rumped Sandpiper this afternoon but plenty of waders on and around the flood including at least 11 Green Sandpipers, 10 Common Sandpipers and a Dunlin - presumably the one present yesterday evening. Also the first juvenile Little Egret of the autumn was at the Camp Lane Pits this afternoon and a couple of Hobbies were showing well.

Brian

Thanks for the link Phil.

Don't think this is the same bird, looks more worn to me. The other Lincs bird looks more like the Grimley one but I'm guessing ours was another bird. I had three separate reports from the Wagon Wheel Lane area from early morning up to early afternoon yesterday and all mentioned the same regular species such as Green and Common Sands with no mention of the Dunlin or any other waders so it seems likely that the WRS and Dunlin dropped in late afternoon during those rain showers. It's a real pity it didn't hang around to this morning for those unable to get there yesterday.

Brian

[/B]

Thanks for the link Phil.

Don't think this is the same bird, looks more worn to me. The other Lincs bird looks more like the Grimley one but I'm guessing ours was another bird. I had three separate reports from the Wagon Wheel Lane area from early morning up to early afternoon yesterday and all mentioned the same regular species such as Green and Common Sands with no mention of the Dunlin or any other waders so it seems likely that the WRS and Dunlin dropped in late afternoon during those rain showers. It's a real pity it didn't hang around to this morning for those unable to get there yesterday.

Brian

The other Lincs bird being the one at Kirby on Bain yesterday early afternoon? Are there any photos of that bird anywhere?

Last edited:
Not sure what time Roger found the bird but the Kirby bird was seen at 1:39pm at least, so it would be good going to get across to Grimley for early evening.

He found it late afternoon and its ID was confirmed by JHWR just after 6pm. Where ever it came from I'm just grateful we managed to see it. Even during the mid-summer doldrums, you never know what we might be missing.....

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back