• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (4 Viewers)

He found it late afternoon and its ID was confirmed by JHWR just after 6pm. Where ever it came from I'm just grateful we managed to see it. Even during the mid-summer doldrums, you never know what we might be missing.....

Brian

What a splendid little wader. Only the second I've ever seen - the first one was at Minsmere (in company with a Baird's Sandpiper) on September 19th 2004. The flooded area around the pits certainly looks favourable for something to drop in and I am thinking of making another visit after work tomorrow afternoon.

I have also seen Mark Peacock's excellent photo of a Red-veined dragonfly seen at Camp Lane pits. I had no joy on Friday afternoon when I looked around there but, if the sun is shining, I may have another look tomorrow.

Have there been any sightings of Turtle Dove around the Grimley/Holt area this year?

Last edited:
What a splendid little wader. Only the second I've ever seen - the first one was at Minsmere (in company with a Baird's Sandpiper) on September 19th 2004. The flooded area around the pits certainly looks favourable for something to drop in and I am thinking of making another visit after work tomorrow afternoon.

I have also seen Mark Peacock's excellent photo of a Red-veined dragonfly seen at Camp Lane pits. I had no joy on Friday afternoon when I looked around there but, if the sun is shining, I may have another look tomorrow.

Have there been any sightings of Turtle Dove around the Grimley/Holt area this year?

Hi Andy,

No reports of any Turtle Doves so far. I hope this does not become our first year without them but the prospects look bleak after only one bird last year.

Wagon Wheel Lane floods certainly do look good and the water level has risen again so it should remain considerably damp for the next week or so.

A bit of extra coverage over the past 48 hours has produced a brief Wood Sandpiper and an adult Mediterranean Gull.

Brian

For the second successive visit the North end produced stonking views of Hobby yesterday. The good Hirundine numbers and rich variety and high numbers of Odonata make this place Hobby paradise I would imagine.

There was a Little Egret present, a year tick for me. Nice to see the white butterflies in some numbers at last, as well a Small Tortoiseshell. Loads of Common Darter now emerged and good numbers of Black tailed Skimmer.
No sign of the Red Veined Darters

Just a couple of pics.

Attachments

• commondarblog.jpg
    commondarblog.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 141
  • egretblog.jpg
    egretblog.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 166
For those who are interested, please find a link to the agent's marketing website for Camp Lane Pits - http://www.smithsgore.co.uk/property-for-sale-grimley-2813901 - which includes the sales brochure.

What are the chance of the Worcs Wildlife Trust or perhaps the West Midland Bird Club (no foothold in Worcs :C) sticking their hand in their pocket and pulling out £250k?

There was some discussion along those lines between the birders there this morning. One would hope if someone were building a property to overlook the site, they would want to preserve the outlook, and that could be facillitated by a body such as the Trust, although ultimately such an arrangement could be messy.
It would be a crying shame to lose this site to yet another fishing pool development or the like. It would be nice if some momentum could be gathered to do whatever can be to preserve and manage it. It gets great birds and has a fantastic biodiversity already :-C

For those who are interested, please find a link to the agent's marketing website for Camp Lane Pits - http://www.smithsgore.co.uk/property-for-sale-grimley-2813901 - which includes the sales brochure.

What are the chance of the Worcs Wildlife Trust or perhaps the West Midland Bird Club (no foothold in Worcs :C) sticking their hand in their pocket and pulling out £250k?
I should think the RSPB or the the Worcs. WT will be rushing in to buy the lot if they know about it, lets hope they do.
Geoff

The relevant conservation organisations knew about this site long before it went up for sale and things are in hand, now that it is on the market.

It is a bit more than £250k though. The four lots that are available total £725k which seems very high when the considerably larger Pope's Marsh at Cley is on for £1m although the Grimley site does include a building plot for £250k.

Brian

Some more pictures of the Great White Egret now online here.

Plenty of other birds noted today including Greenshank, 10+ Green Sands, 2 Common Sandpipers, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, male Redstart, Yellow Wagtail, first Pochard of the autumn and plenty of Lesser Whitethroats in the hedgerows.

Brian

Some more pictures of the Great White Egret now online here.

Plenty of other birds noted today including Greenshank, 10+ Green Sands, 2 Common Sandpipers, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, male Redstart, Yellow Wagtail, first Pochard of the autumn and plenty of Lesser Whitethroats in the hedgerows.

Brian

Hi Brian - were all these birds at Camp Lane Pits or across "Greater Grimley"?

Had a good morning down at Grimley - cheers for the directions Brian. I did, at one point think I'd scared the GWE off, as I approached down one side, despite it not batting an eyelid at a couple walking 2 dogs along the same path.

But thankfully the bird returned.

Loads of dragonflies too, and the hobby put on an amazing show. Wish I'd gone down earlier. Storms ended play far too early!

Keep an eye on my Flickr page for more from today.

Attachments

• IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7231.jpg
    IMG_7231.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 141
Hi Brian - were all these birds at Camp Lane Pits or across "Greater Grimley"?

Hi Phil,

Where is this 'Greater Grimley'? Is it like Greater London but without all the buildings, roads, tubes and people but with slightly more sheep ;)

It was split between WWL Pits, CL Pits and some new diggings by the A443. Would have made a good day list with more time and effort.

Brian

Had a good morning down at Grimley - cheers for the directions Brian. I did, at one point think I'd scared the GWE off, as I approached down one side, despite it not batting an eyelid at a couple walking 2 dogs along the same path.

But thankfully the bird returned.

Loads of dragonflies too, and the hobby put on an amazing show. Wish I'd gone down earlier. Storms ended play far too early!

Keep an eye on my Flickr page for more from today.

No problem Pete, glad you found it. Great shots and that dragonfly shot is incredible!

Interesting to see that the Hobby is ringed on its right leg.

Brian

GW Egret still at Grimley today. There seems to have been some confusion as to where the bird is. It is favouring the Camp Lane Pits (formerly known as the 'new workings'). This name was dropped as they haven't been worked for 3 years and there are more now more recent workings here and here while the 'old workings' are now largely out of bounds.

Wagon Wheel Lane Pits are here and the adjacent field which floods is here. There were 4 Black-tailed Godwits here today and a Little Egret arrived at Camp Lane Pits yesterday.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back