• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (3 Viewers)

The Great White Egret remains at Grimley Camp Lane Pits for its 9th day making this the longest stayer in the county by 5 days. As the bird becomes more settled and tolerant of passers by the pictures keep on getting better, the latest batch can be seen here.

Also a Little Egret still present as well.

Brian

Great White and Little Egrets still present at 18.30'ish. No thanks to the illiterate dog-walker who appears not to be able to understand "Dogs to be kept on lead". I also don't recall seeing a sign that says "Stick to be thrown repeatedly into the water for ten minutes for dog to fetch". Surprised there's anything there really!

Great day spent today at this ever improving site. Went for the GWE but fantastic views of Hobby as well were a bonus. I was going to mention the dog situation as well, came away feeling a bit deflated, however many times I witness it, I still can't believe the arrogance and ignorance of some dog owners.

Attachments

• gwe1.jpg
    gwe1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Copy of _MG_3539.jpg
    Copy of _MG_3539.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 147
A few more pics of the hobby which has entertained at Grimley.

Thankfully ignorant dog-emptiers can't really affect this bird's routine...

Attachments

• IMG_7180.jpg
    IMG_7180.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7524.jpg
    IMG_7524.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7790.jpg
    IMG_7790.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 140
Cheers Phil, whist carrying out a cursory scan of the adjoining cattle fields for yellow wagtail the thought of three in the same day did cross my mind.;)

The first Shag for Grimley was discovered swimming amongst a flock of Canada Geese at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits yesterday evening. It stayed for c1/2 hour after I found it but unfortunately my camera had run of battery so no pics.

The Great White Egret remained all day at Camp Lane Pits in the company of 3 Little Egrets. Also present in the area yesterday were 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Redstarts, Wheatear, Hobby and 10+ Green Sandpipers.

More great shots of the GWE here.

Brian

The first Shag for Grimley was discovered swimming amongst a flock of Canada Geese at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits yesterday evening. It stayed for c1/2 hour after I found it but unfortunately my camera had run of battery so no pics.

The Great White Egret remained all day at Camp Lane Pits in the company of 3 Little Egrets. Also present in the area yesterday were 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Redstarts, Wheatear, Hobby and 10+ Green Sandpipers.

More great shots of the GWE here.

Brian

Good to know that there are some Ringed Plovers moving through. I understand that the Shag flew west? What does that (and the WRS) bring the Grimley recording area list to?

Good to know that there are some Ringed Plovers moving through. I understand that the Shag flew west? What does that (and the WRS) bring the Grimley recording area list to?

The Shag went NW and appeared to go down towards the old workings but no sign there or on the windsurfing lake. I also found out that one was at Bittell about a week ago so it may it'll pop up again locally.

Will have to check the Grimley list totals.

Brian

Great White Egret

Anyone know if it's still there.

Thank you

Graham

Yes, it was still there this evening along with 3 Little Egrets, still at least one Garganey (4 present late evening yesterday), plenty of Teal, 4 Wigeon, Shoveler and a Hobby. There may have been more Garganey but there are so many dabbling duck present at the moment with many hidden from view in the long grass it's difficult to be certain.

Also 2 juvenile Greenshank at Wagon Wheel Lane.

Brian

Yes, it was still there this evening along with 3 Little Egrets, still at least one Garganey (4 present late evening yesterday), plenty of Teal, 4 Wigeon, Shoveler and a Hobby. There may have been more Garganey but there are so many dabbling duck present at the moment with many hidden from view in the long grass it's difficult to be certain.

Also 2 juvenile Greenshank at Wagon Wheel Lane.

Brian

Thank you so much.

Graham

Along with the ever present Great White Egret and 3 Little Egrets, Grimley was alive with migrants this morning with the highlights being 12 Black-tailed Godwits, Tree Pipit, 2 Yellow Wagtails, Whinchat, Wheatear, Redstart, 3+ Spotted Flycatchers and a Hobby. There were also good numbers of juvenile Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Whitethroats and Lesser Whitethroats in the hedgerows.

Would have been a good day to to do an all-dayer!

Brian

Along with the ever present Great White Egret and 3 Little Egrets, Grimley was alive with migrants this morning with the highlights being 12 Black-tailed Godwits, Tree Pipit, 2 Yellow Wagtails, Whinchat, Wheatear, Redstart, 3+ Spotted Flycatchers and a Hobby. There were also good numbers of juvenile Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Whitethroats and Lesser Whitethroats in the hedgerows.

Would have been a good day to to do an all-dayer!

Brian

Great list of birds there Brian - have the Garganey now moved on?

Someone let off a few gun shots at about 11am yesterday at Grimley, scaring most things off. Thankfully the egrets all returned.

Some shots of other creatures found around the meadows.

Attachments

• Damselflies.jpg
    Damselflies.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Dragonfly02.jpg
    Dragonfly02.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 139
  • CommonBlue.jpg
    CommonBlue.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 132
First visit to the Camp Lane Pits

Having recently moved into the area, I had my first visit to the Camp Lane Pits at Grimley today. I enjoyed an hour or so there, with notable birds being the great white egret, a couple of little egrets, a little grebe, and a couple of common terns (although I wasn't attempting a systematic count of anything!). Am hoping to be able to drop by the site fairly regularly.

Attached photo doesn't match for quality others on this thread, but as it has three heron species together in the same frame I thought it would be worth sharing.

Attachments

• egrets_heron_grimley_1crlg.jpg
    egrets_heron_grimley_1crlg.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 157
13.00 it was my first vist to camp lane pits 1 great white egret ,1 hobby,
1 buzzard ,mute swans,little egret,4 herons,2 cormorant 1 commen tern
1 crow,coots,mallards,bhg,5 starlings,1 canada goose (o)<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back