• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Woodchat

Cogito ergo sum
I thought I'd start a new thread for this relatively new wildlife reserve between Droitwich and Salwarpe. I've been birding the general area for the past 10 years (it's literally on my doorstep), although the centrepiece, 'Coney Meadow Reedbed', was only constructed in 2008 - as mitigation against loss of fringing reeds along the Droitwich canal when it was dredged to make it navigable. Since then, the wildlife interest has developed further and the whole area has a great deal of potential. The habitat includes a 2.5 hectare reedbed, grassland, scrub and thick hedgerows. It is bordered to the west and south by the River Salwarpe, to the east by the Droitwich Canal and to the north by 'Droitwich Woods NR'. Complimenting this variety of habitats is a small area of mature woodland, the churchyard and gardens of Salwarpe village plus farmland (permanent pasture and arable).

My own birding highlights over the years have included Pied Flycatcher (recorded once), Common Redstart (once), Tree Pipit (2 records), Little Egret (once), Lesser-spotted Woodpecker (twice), Hobby (frequent), Tawny Owl (frequent), Common Tern, Little Owl (very scarce), Cuckoo (regular), Grasshopper Warbler (regular), Brambling, Green Sandpiper (occassional), Spotted Flycatcher (regular) and Grey Partridge (once, 'wild' credentials unknown). Marsh Tits used to occur but I haven't seen them here since 2005. Over the past couple of years the site has provided a roost for impressive numbers of hirundines (e.g. up to 700 Sand Martins) at various times of the year but especially late March/ early April. Other notable wildlife recorded includes noisy Marsh Frogs, Badgers, Roe Deer, various species of Bats including Noctules, Marbled White butterflies and, last year, I saw and photographed an Essex Skipper. The area is also pretty good for Dragonflies (especially Brown Hawkers, Migrant Hawkers and Common Darters). Several good plants are present, including Dittander, and there is a small colony of Pyramidal Orchids further down the canal.

A quick stroll this afternoon produced a singing male Blackcap, Raven, Buzzard, Nuthatch, Mistle Thrush, singing Skylark, Green Woodpecker, Reed Buntings, Water Rail (heard), 2 Linnets, Greenfinches, Kingfisher and Grey Heron.

The best time to visit, however, is spring/summer when the site can be heaving with Warblers (Reed, Sedge, Whitethroat, Blackcap and Chiffchaff are common, Willow, Grasshopper and Lesser Whitethroat are regular and Garden Warbler is occasionally seen and has bred nearby). I tend to visit at least twice a week during the summer (usually in the evenings after work).

Anyway, it's well worth a look if you're in the area and it would be great if anyone visiting the site could post their sightings on this thread. Many thanks.:t:

Last edited:
Very interesting Dave, I will definitely check it out, been over that neck of the woods a bit lately for other reasons so getting a bit more familiar with the area :t:

Very interesting Dave, I will definitely check it out, been over that neck of the woods a bit lately for other reasons so getting a bit more familiar with the area :t:

Nice one, Mark.

Given a decent amount of coverage, I reckon this site really does have the potential to produce a biggy. Oakley Marsh, not far away, has produced Savi's Warbler, Aquatic Warbler and Purple Heron in the past, so why not something of that calibre here - in some respects, the habitat and position (next to a river) may even be better than Oakley. I have a dream of finding Worcestershire's first Great Reed here - now that would put it firmly on the map. Wishful thinking, perhaps but who knows. :t:

I agree that this is a cracking site good variety of habitat in a small area, that makes it easier to cover. Heard Grasshopper Warbler last year saw Cuckoo and the view up the valley had me hoping for Red footed Falcon. Viewing screens OK but a hide would be good but lets not go down that route.

I agree that this is a cracking site good variety of habitat in a small area, that makes it easier to cover. Heard Grasshopper Warbler last year saw Cuckoo and the view up the valley had me hoping for Red footed Falcon. Viewing screens OK but a hide would be good but lets not go down that route.

Ha! I hear what you're saying re the hide Trev. On the plus side, I was emailed by British Waterway's ecologist the other day. He's looking for input on how the site might be managed to improve its wildlife potential. I'm hoping to meet up with him when I get back from Israel to discuss it. Any input from visitors on this thread would be gratefully recieved and passed on.

A lovely sunny morning walk today produced 2 Goldcrests in the churchyard plus Coal Tit. Grey Wagtail over. Six Greylag Geese flew south over Coney Meadow plus 3 Lapwings, Snipe,Skylark, Linnet, Goldfinch, Stock Dove singing, male Kestrel, 2 Raven (displaying), 2 Meadow Pipits over, Mistle Thrush, Jay, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers (the latter drumming). Lots of Reed Bunting activity in the reeds plus at least two Water Rails calling. Still plenty of Redwings about.

At Droitwich Woods NR, two Lesser Redpolls singing in the Larches, Long-tailed Tits building a nest, a pair of Bullfinches, another Coal Tit and Goldcrest.

Plenty of House Sparrows in hedgerows along the canal bordering Chawson housing estate and Siskin flew over calling.

Blackcap singing again in hedge along Canal about half way between Droitwich and Salwarpe plus an early Small Tortoiseshell butterfly.

2 Kingfishers showing well along Salwarpe by the village. Nuthatch calling, another 5 Siskins, two Meadow Pipits and a couple of Redpolls over.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I might have a look in as an addition to Upton (if things are quiet there) during spring. Lower Park is a bit of a dead loss at the moment, although it may well perk up in next few weeks.

Do you have a full site list of bird species seen?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Dave,

I might have a look in as an addition to Upton (if things are quiet there) during spring. Lower Park is a bit of a dead loss at the moment, although it may well perk up in next few weeks.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm just heading over to Upton now. I do have a list of the birds I've seen around the Salwarpe / Coney Meadow area which I will post at some point. In addition, there are a few species that have been recorded / reported here that I haven't personally seen, including Hawfinch and Firecrest.

A few photos of the site attached:

1. Visitor information / interpretation board
2. Coney Meadow looking north
3. Pollarded Willows along the River Salwarpe
4. North end of Coney Meadow looking towards Droitwich Woods
5. Droitwich Canal looking south with mature trees around Salwarpe village / churchyard.

Another brief visit late this afternoon produced 17 Teal, 7 Snipe, male Sparrowhawk, Grey Heron and singing Water Rails.

Attachments

• Visitor Info Sign.jpg
    Visitor Info Sign.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 705
  • Coney Meadow North.jpg
    Coney Meadow North.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 655
  • River Salwarpe.jpg
    River Salwarpe.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 605
  • Coney Meadow + Droitwich Woods.jpg
    Coney Meadow + Droitwich Woods.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 664
  • Salwarpe Village.jpg
    Salwarpe Village.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 599
What did you get this afternoon mate:t:

Hi John,

Good numbers of Teal and Snipe (relatively speaking for the site). Nice to hear Water Rails singing, too - prior to this season, I've only recorded three or four here before (in winter). Constant stream of LBBG and Herrings at dusk towards Westwood.

2 Grey wagtails over.

Also, several Fieldfares and at least four Pipistrelle bats flying around at dusk.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Good numbers of Teal and Snipe (relatively speaking for the site). Nice to hear Water Rails singing, too - prior to this season, I've only recorded three or four here before (in winter). Constant stream of LBBG and Herrings at dusk towards Westwood.

Also, several Fieldfares and at least four Pipistrelle bats flying around at dusk.

It looks good mate. Might even find myself down there, once I find it. It can't be that far from Pulley reed bed(or whatever its called these days). This coupled with Upton could see a few reed bed goodies.:t:

Hi Dave,

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Here is the list of birds that I've personally seen at this site:

1 Mute Swan
2 Greylag Goose
3 Canada Goose
4 Wigeon
5 Gadwall
6 Teal
7 Mallard
8 Shoveler
9 Grey Partridge *
10 Pheasant
11 Little Grebe
12 Cormorant
13 Little Egret
14 Grey Heron
15 Sparrowhawk
16 Buzzard
17 Kestrel
18 Hobby
19 Peregrine
20 Water Rail
21 Moorhen
22 Coot
23 Lapwing
24 Common Snipe
25 Curlew
26 Green Sandpiper
27 Black-headed Gull
28 Lesser Black-backed Gull
29 Herring Gull
30 Great Black-backed Gull
31 Common Tern
32 Stock Dove
33 Wood Pigeon
34 Collared Dove
35 Cuckoo
36 Little Owl
37 Tawny Owl
38 Swift
39 Kingfisher
40 Green Woodpecker
41 Great Spotted Woodpecker
42 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
43 Skylark
44 Sand Martin
45 Swallow
46 House Martin
47 Tree Pipit
48 Meadow Pipit
49 Grey Wagtail
50 Pied Wagtail
51 Wren
52 Dunnock
53 Robin
54 Redstart
55 Blackbird
56 Fieldfare
57 Song Thrush
58 Redwing
59 Mistle Thrush
60 Grasshopper Warbler
61 Sedge Warbler
62 Reed Warbler
63 Lesser Whitethroat
64 Whitethroat
65 Garden Warbler
66 Blackcap
67 Chiffchaff
68 Willow Warbler
69 Goldcrest
70 Spotted Flycatcher
71 Pied Flycatcher
72 Long-tailed Tit
73 Marsh Tit
74 Coal Tit
75 Blue Tit
76 Great Tit
77 Nuthatch
78 Treecreeper
79 Jay
80 Magpie
81 Jackdaw
82 Rook
83 Carrion Crow
84 Raven
85 Starling
86 House Sparrow
87 Chaffinch
88 Brambling
89 Greenfinch
90 Goldfinch
91 Siskin
92 Linnet
93 Lesser Redpoll
94 Bullfinch
95 Yellowhammer
96 Reed Bunting

* Unknown origin (possibly released stock)

In addition, the following have been reported to me / recorded at the site but not seen by me personally:

1. Red Kite
2. Jack Snipe
3. Turtle Dove
4. Firecrest
5. Hawfinch

Therefore, the site list is at least 101. I have personally seen a Turtle Dove at nearby Martin Hussingtree and others near Hadley village in the past. Also, there may be other records for species that I'm not aware of. If anyone knows of any, I'd very much appreciate it if they'd please come forward with the info.

There are also a few species that I've recorded at Oakley Pool but not here (Barn Owl, LE Owl, Ring Ouzel, Wheatear, Cetti's Warbler, Savi's Warbler, Tufted Duck, GC Grebe, etc.) and that site has many other good historical records (Aquatic Warbler, Purple Heron, Bittern etc.)

PS. Don't think I can count the Black Redstart that turned up in my garden in 2003. 8-P

How many have you seen at Lower Park?

Anyhow, cheers for the interest,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I'll sort out the list when I'm on my own PC, but off the top of my head the Lower Park total is very similar based on what I and John have seen. In fact I think it's 101 as well!

Cheers
Mike

It looks good mate. Might even find myself down there, once I find it. It can't be that far from Pulley reed bed(or whatever its called these days). This coupled with Upton could see a few reed bed goodies.:t:

Hi John,

This map might help you find it:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...eedbed&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

The best directions are to head along the A38 towards Worcester from Droitwich, turning right a few hundred yards from the roundabout (by the pub) accessing Copcut Lane and following it all the way to Salwarpe village. Park by the Churchyard (enough parking for ~10 cars). Walk through the churchyard to access the canal towpath. Coney Meadow is on your left.

BTW, Oakley Pool SSSI is situated ~1.3 miles south-east of here (on the opposite side of the A38), accessed via Pulley Lane .

Attachments

• Coney Meadow Map.jpg
    Coney Meadow Map.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Hi Dave,

Lower Park list is:

01. Mute Swan
02. Pink-footed Goose *
03. White-fronted Goose
04. Greylag Goose
05. Canada Goose
06. Barnacle Goose **
07. Wigeon
08. Teal
09. Mallard
10. Shoveler
11. Pochard
12. Tufted Duck
13. Goosander
14. Red-legged Partridge
15. Pheasant
16. Little Grebe
17. Great Crested Grebe
18. Cormorant
19. Little Egret
20. Grey Heron
21. Sparrowhawk
22. Buzzard
23. Kestrel
24. Merlin
25. Hobby
26. Peregrine
27. Moorhen
28. Coot
29. Oystercatcher
30. Little Ringed Plover
31. Golden Plover
32. Lapwing
33. Sanderling
34. Dunlin
35. Jack Snipe
36. Snipe
37. Curlew
38. Redshank
39. Greenshank
40. Green Sandpiper
41. Common Sandpiper
42. Turnstone
43. Mediterranean Gull
44. Black-headed Gull
45. Common Gull
46. Lesser Black-backed Gull
47. Yellow-legged Gull
48. Herring Gull
49. Common Tern
50. Black Tern
51. Stock Dove
52. Wood Pigeon
53. Collared Dove
54. Little Owl
55. Short-eared Owl
56. Swift
57. Kingfisher
58. Green Woodpecker
59. Great Spotted Woodpecker
60. Skylark
61. Sand Martin
62. Swallow
63. House Martin
64. Meadow Pipit
65. Yellow Wagtail
66. Grey Wagtail
67. Pied Wagtail
68. Wren
69. Dunnock
70. Robin
71. Redstart
72. Whinchat
73. Stonechat
74. Wheatear
75. Blackbird
76. Fieldfare
77. Song Thrush
78. Redwing
79. Mistle Thrush
80. Sedge Warbler
81. Lesser Whitethroat
82. Whitethroat
83. Willow Warbler
84. Long-tailed Tit
85. Blue Tit
86. Great Tit
87. Jay
88. Magpie
89. Jackdaw
90. Rook
91. Carrion Crow
92. Raven
93. Starling
94. House Sparrow
95. Chaffinch
96. Greenfinch
97. Goldfinch
98. Linnet
99. Bullfinch
100. Yellowhammer
101. Reed Bunting

* provenance unknown
** unlikely to be wild

Those highlighted in red have been seen by John not me.

Cheers
Mike

Hi dave I never knew of this site before this thread, it sounds lovely

Oh and I will definately be getting myself down there, it looks beautiful :t:

Cheers for the info, Mike.

Had a quick walk around Coney Meadow this evening - 5 Chiffchaffs, Raven, Redwing, 2 Bullfinches, 7 Common Snipes, Grey Heron, singing Blackcap, plenty of Reed Buntings, Mallards and 1 Canada Goose over. The Water Rails (2+) were especially noisy. 7 Pipistrelles flying about at dusk.

Nice to see that an Owl / Kestrel box (pictured) has been erected, plus a bat box.

Attachments

• Owl Box Coney Meadow.jpg
    Owl Box Coney Meadow.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back