• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (6 Viewers)

A Willow Warbler along the Droitwich canal near Salwarpe this evening was the only sign of fresh migration. Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap singing, 2 Mistle Thrushes, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Green woodpecker and a Treecreeper. Water Rails calling from the reedbed and 2 Snipe flew out at dusk.

o:)
Didnt know about this place, sounds great. Is it accessible by public tranport and or walking

Bus number 144 to Droitwich then find the Droitwich Barge canal A 20 minute walk will take you to Coney meadow, passing playing fields on your righthand side the nature reserve is after you pass the running track take the next path on the right hand side. Coney meadow itself is about half mile further down the canal on the right hand side, hope that makes sense.

Phil

Pretty quiet down here this evening, with no sign of any new spring migrants. Three Gadwall, singing Goldcrest, 2 Ravens, Grey Wagtail and Linnet over. Should start livening up in the next couple of weeks though.

Bus number 144 to Droitwich then find the Droitwich Barge canal A 20 minute walk will take you to Coney meadow, passing playing fields on your righthand side the nature reserve is after you pass the running track take the next path on the right hand side. Coney meadow itself is about half mile further down the canal on the right hand side, hope that makes sense.

Phil

Cheers for responding to the request for info. I must admit I wouldn't know the best public transport links. I'm guessing it would be about a mile or so walk from Droitwich railway station to get here if that option was tried.

Last edited:
Cheers for responding to the request for info. I must admit I wouldn't know the best public transport links. I'm guessing it would be about a mile or so walk from Droitwich railway station to get here if that option was tried.

Yes the Railway station is only a short distance from the Town centre just walk down the hill untill you find the canal then walk westerly down the tow path for yes about a mile.

Phil.

The spring migrants seem slow to arrive this year at Coney Meadow. Last year, both Reed and Sedge Warblers had already appeared by the 11th April and 400+ Sand Martins were roosting in the reedbed. None of these were present this evening but it can't be long now until they put in an appearance.

Highlights this evening were 1 male Kestrel, 1 Sparrowhawk, Raven, 2 Gadwall, Chiffchaff 2 Snipe, 2Jays, 3 Grey Herons and 2+ singing Water Rails.

An adult Great Black Backed Gull flew due south over Coney meadow this evening at about 7:30 pm.

A single House Martin was the only nod towards spring migration and, amazingly, the first hirundine I've recorded here this year.

Two Ravens, two Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker and Great Spot. A pair of Gadwall again and a Lapwing over.

Last edited:
5 Swallows this afternoon plus Mistle Thrush, Raven, Buzzard, Kestrel, Linnets, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, pair of Gadwall, Skylark and Water Rails. Goldcrest, Treecreeper and Coal Tit in Salwarpe Village.

Still no signs of any acros and summer migrants still very thin on the ground. I'll give it another bash tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the Hoopoe could not be relocated after searching nearby horse paddocks and playing fields. Many thanks to Phil Andrews for helping me look but it was always going to be a needle in a haystack, really - but maybe it'll pop up again. Excellent flight views were obtained for maybe 30 seconds - I picked it up in the distance as it flew in typical floppy flight directly towards me - it eventually passed virtually directly over my head at tree-top height and then continued to fly due east-north-east towards Droitwich. A superb addition to my patch list.

A second addition came in the form of 2 Shelducks that flew over heading towards Westwood. Other birds noted in the area today included 7 Willow Warblers, 1 Sand Martin, 2 Ravens, 2 Mistle Thrushes, Treecreeper, 4 Meadow Pipits over, Water Rail, GS and Green Woodpeckers, 5 Buzzards, Coal Tit, female Kestrel (eating worms) and a Swallow.

A really excellent morning - things are looking up at last!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Hoopoe could not be relocated after searching nearby horse paddocks and playing fields. Many thanks to Phil Andrews for helping me look but it was always going to be a needle in a haystack, really - but maybe it'll pop up again. Excellent flight views were obtained for maybe 30 seconds - I picked it up in the distance as it flew in typical floppy flight directly towards me - it eventually passed virtually directly over my head at tree-top height and then continued to fly due east-north-east towards Droitwich. A superb addition to my patch list.

Not a problem Dave - first time I had visited Coney Meadow and the surrounding area; a very promising piece of habitat. Many thanks for showing me around.

Phil

Thanks for the info. I take the 144 to upton warren. So I could combine the both together

Thanks for the info. I take the 144 to upton warren. So I could combine the both together

Good Luck when you do visit, SOB. :t:

It was a little quiet when I visited yesterday evening - and cold and windy - but I did manage to see Kestrel, Kingfisher, Swallow, Skylark, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, Raven, Buzzard, GS Woodpecker and quite a few large gulls passing over heading south (including 9 Herring Gulls). Nothing spectacular this time but Sunday morning amply demonstrated that this site is capable of producing unexpected magic - albeit fleeting in that particular instance.

Water Rails are still calling regularly but almost impossible to see at the moment.

A Cuckoo was reported south of Salwarpe village today (Steve Avery per Birding Today news service). Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get down there now until the weekend.

Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler singing in the reedbed plus a male Kestrel, Raven, 2 Goldcrests, Skylark, Grey Wagtail and 6+ Buzzards. Reasonable numbers of Sand Martins, House Martins and a few Swallows through in the afternoon.

Butterflies on the wing included 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Brimstone and 5 Orange Tips. Plenty of Bumblebees plus a Tawny Mining Bee.

Last edited:
Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler singing in the reedbed plus a male Kestrel, Raven and 6+ Buzzards.

Butterflies on the wing included 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Brimstone and 5 Orange Tips. Plenty of Bumblebees plus a Tawny Mining Bee.

so that's where youv'e been hiding all day8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back