• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

Insects

We went along the other end yesterday, from Porter's Mill to the Severn. The warblers were deafening! But, sadly, no sound of a cuckoo. There's some fabulous undisturbed habitat along there, isn't there? Salwarpe end next!

Hi Mary,

Yes, there's some really good habitat all along the canal - at Porter's Mill and beyond. I remember vividly in the late 1980's finding a colony of Glow-worms along there in a patch of rough ground - never seen them since, though.

This year, I'm going to try and photograph as many of the insects as possible in and around Coney Meadow.

Lots of Orange Tips about today plus Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell.

Below are record shots of a Froghopper and Large Red Damselfly (taken today) as well as Essex Skipper (taken last year) and Migrant Hawker (taken in 2010)

Attachments

• Froghopper Coney Mead.JPG
    Froghopper Coney Mead.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Large Red Damselfly.jpg
    Large Red Damselfly.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Essex Skipper Coney Meadow.jpg
    Essex Skipper Coney Meadow.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Migrant Hawker.jpg
    Migrant Hawker.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 175
Two Grasshopper Warblers were reeling this morning plus Cuckoo, 6 Ravens (4 juvs), Nuthatch, Sparrowhawk and Lesser Whitethroat amongst the regular species.

A female Roe Deer was in one of the adjacent fields (distant record shot below).

Speckled Wood butterfly and lots of Orange Tips.

Attachments

• Roe Deer Coney Meadow.JPG
    Roe Deer Coney Meadow.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 200
saturday

was down the meadow a couple of hours sat morning the usual suspects, reed and sedge, numerous whitethroats and reed buntings 1st bird seen was a cuckoo showing well by the 2nd gate and managed to get bins onto a gropper but did'nt get a pic so no tick as yet, also sparrow hawk through, cheers for the info dave i'll get that gropper yet and hopefully the spot fly, watch this space!

was down the meadow a couple of hours sat morning the usual suspects, reed and sedge, numerous whitethroats and reed buntings 1st bird seen was a cuckoo showing well by the 2nd gate and managed to get bins onto a gropper but did'nt get a pic so no tick as yet, also sparrow hawk through, cheers for the info dave i'll get that gropper yet and hopefully the spot fly, watch this space!

You're making it difficult for yourself there, Trace 8-P Glad u got the bins on it though.

2 Grasshopper Warblers again this evening plus Cuckoo, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Mistle Thrush, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Swifts, Water Rail, 2 Bullfinches, Ravens and the usual Warblers.

Andy Pitt saw a Spotted flycatcher near the churchyard this morning but it eluded us this evening. They can be difficult when they first arrive.

Also.. a couple of Brimstone Moths at dusk.

Last edited:
Went for a really pleasant walk late morning. At least two Spotted Flycatchers seen and heard singing in various areas around Salwarpe Village. A female Cuckoo called and flew over Coney Meadow and was duly chased by a male. Another male was singing in distance. Others present were Skylark, several Goldcrests, 5 singing Common Whitethroats, Nuthatch, Buzzard, 2 Sparrowhawks, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, House Martins, Swallows and Swifts.

Grasshopper Warbler showing reasonably well by east gate this evening - in the base of the small willow sapling (a regular perch).

One feature this year is the density of singing male Common Whitethroats - at least five (one per hectare) within Coney Meadow and others in hedges along adjacent fields. A couple of record shots of whitethroats attached:

Attachments

• Whitethroat Coney Meadow 160512.jpg
    Whitethroat Coney Meadow 160512.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Whitethroat CM 160512.jpg
    Whitethroat CM 160512.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 171
Grasshopper Warbler showing reasonably well by east gate this evening - in the base of the small willow sapling (a regular perch).

One feature this year is the density of singing male Common Whitethroats - at least five (one per hectare) within Coney Meadow and others in hedges along adjacent fields. A couple of record shots of whitethroats attached:

I managed to get a shot of one of the Grasshopper Warblers as it reeled for about 15 minutes between 7.15 and 7.30 from the willow sapling by the east gate yesterday morning (see below):

Attachments

• Gropper.jpg
    Gropper.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 218
I managed to get a shot of one of the Grasshopper Warblers as it reeled for about 15 minutes between 7.15 and 7.30 from the willow sapling by the east gate yesterday morning (see below):

Fantastic, Andy! I've been struggling to get anything except blurred, part-hidden rubbish - I was on 1/4 second this evening so you can imagine how poor they were.

Dave Hull said he's got some shots of Stonechats he's taken on site over the past few years - a species I've not even seen here yet - hopefully we can get some images posted of them soon. :t:

at last

had cuckoo again and finally the gropper got pic so finally a tick(lifer) cheers dave just were you said in the small sapling, missed spot fly but had two in the wyre later in the day.

Attachments

• DSC02765.JPG
    DSC02765.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC02742.jpg
    DSC02742.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 197
First visit with Mark Peacock today. Great place, got Hobby and s couple of Raven and plenty of Warblers, but no Gropper this time.:t:

After a couple of hours chuckling at the flashes and getting my 1st Ringed Plover of the year, swung by here at last with Gert. A lovely spot, Hobby nice and low over .. will be back soon B :)

The first grasshopper warbler started reeling at 10 minutes to 9 this evening just left of the viewing screen, eventually showing well in the rank vegetation. It was joined by a second bird possibly a female as it wasn't singing. A second reeling bird then started and showed well by the east gate. This must be one of the best performing sites in Worcestershire for this species at present but timing of any visit is the key to success.

Also, Noctule and Pipistrelle bats over plus 2 singng Water Rails and a dozen Swallows over around dusk. Also, a Cuckoo called in the distance.

Last edited:
A pair of Gadwall flew over a couple of times this evening and 2+ Water Rails were calling from the reedbed. The bubbling call of a female Cuckoo was heard but there was no sight or sound of Grasshopper Warblers by 10pm this evening.

Around Salwarpe village, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Coal Tit and Goldcrest were present but no sign of any Spotted Flycatchers (none seen on my last 3 visits).

A couple of Whitethroats were singing occasionally and a few Swallows hawked overhead.

Noctule and Pipistrelles at dusk plus a fox nearby.

Last edited:
A Spotted Flycatcher was singing and showing very well along the canal just west of Salwarpe Village (between Salwarpe and Ladywood). A second singing bird was in the grounds of Salwarpe Court, just east of the village. At least 2 Cuckoos were flying around, the male singing on and off. A Kingfisher flew along the river. Also present were Mistle Thrush, Lesser Whitethroat, several common Whitethroats, Grey Heron, Great Spotted Woodpecker, 4+ Ravens, Buzzard, Reed and Sedge Warblers, chiffchaff and Blackcaps, 7 Swallows, 13 Swifts, 1 House Martin and 1 Sand Martin. 47 Canada Geese flew over.

Lots of Damselflies including Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles, Azure and Large Red.

A Hobby flew over early evening. 2 singing male Spotted Flycatchers in the same places as yesterday. 6 Ravens, Cuckoo, drake Gadwall, the usual warblers and 2 Water Rails singing in the reedbed. No sign of any groppers for over a week now.

A Common Toad was on the canal footpath.

Last edited:
For a change, I went for a walk further down the Droitwich Canal to Porter's Mill and beyond. The highlight was a Little Owl between Ladywood and Porter's Mill - a traditional spot for this species. One or two Cuckoos calling, a family party of 7 Mistle Thrushes (5 speckly juvs), Yellowhammer, Kestrel, lots of Reed Warblers, a few Sedge Warblers, GS Woodpeckers, Mute Swans, Jays, Pied Wagtails, Swallows, Swifts and House Martins. A pair of Tufted Ducks were on a fishing pool near Porter's Mill.

A quick walk around today gave great views of two Cuckoos and a Spotted Flycatcher by the 'Old Mill House'. Two singing Whitethroats, Goldcrest and a couple of Bullfinches amongst the usual stuff.

This morning there were 2+ Cuckoos, 1 Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest, 3 singing Common Whitethroats, calling Water Rail, Reed and Sedge Warblers plus family parties of Blackcaps and 30+ Starlings (including many juvs).

Users who are viewing this thread

• PHW
Back