• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beaconwood and the Winsel (1 Viewer)

I assume that the field you two guys are on about is the one bordered by the M5, Birmingham Rd and Manor Lane?

Yes ....see Red mark on your Map.

I see that there is a stream feeding the ponds either side of the bypass ...is there any access to explore this or is it private.I thought the pond in Beacon wood was just from water off the wood but it seems to be fed by the stream...or does it flow the other way !!

Keith :t:

Attachments

• Lydiate Ash.jpg
    Lydiate Ash.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 134
Keith

Here's an Ordnance Survey map. Spring Pools are private (owned by John Monk who also owns Chadwick Farm). There is very little to see there these days although as a kid I had my first Tufted Duck and Mandarin there. Seen from the side of the dual carriageway. I wouldn't recommend it as a vantage point these days though!
In the north east corner of the map is another WWT reserve - Broadmoor Wood. This had Spotted Flycatchers when I was young. The map shows another pond in there that's linked by stream to Spring Pools but it's very silted over (at least it was when I saw it last a couple of years ago)

Attachments

• Spring Pools.JPG
    Spring Pools.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 157
My 1st post on here said I thought it was a noisy place but I hope for a re-visit...well last evening I managed to have a walk around.
It was even noisier as the M5 was in full flow as well as the by-pass and I remembered to fit my hearing aids...blimey my ears are still ringing....what a shame this wood is located here...totally spoilt by location and the pond area could be nice but for noise and mess from the lay-by.

All I spotted was 2 views of a Buzzard overhead...Crows,Jackdaws,Blackbird,Wren,Blue Tit and the highlight was a Deer looking at me as I reached the highest point - it was way below but ran off as I raised the camera and met up with about 3 others as they moved of to the right (north east-ish).
The Yellow Skunky things DO look brilliant though.
Not a lot to report but I got a couple of Lapwing along Alvechurch Highway in ploughed field to left of road and a Male Kestrel up by Beacon Farm.

All the Nest boxes look to have small holes...Blue Tit size....I wonder what size Great Tit or Flycatchers need.

EDIT...Forgot to say the Bluebells are starting to show but only on the sunny side of the hill.

Attachments

• Canon 106 009.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 106 009.jpg low.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Canon 106 017.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 106 017.jpg low.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 129
  • Canon 106 020.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 106 020.jpg low.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
And the Birds...

Attachments

• Canon 106 002.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 106 002.jpg low.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Canon 106 032.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 106 032.jpg low.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Canon 106 047.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 106 047.jpg low.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 134
My 1st post on here said I thought it was a noisy place but I hope for a re-visit...well last evening I managed to have a walk around.
It was even noisier as the M5 was in full flow as well as the by-pass and I remembered to fit my hearing aids...blimey my ears are still ringing....what a shame this wood is located here...totally spoilt by location and the pond area could be nice but for noise and mess from the lay-by.

All I spotted was 2 views of a Buzzard overhead...Crows,Jackdaws,Blackbird,Wren,Blue Tit and the highlight was a Deer looking at me as I reached the highest point - it was way below but ran off as I raised the camera and met up with about 3 others as they moved of to the right (north east-ish).
The Yellow Skunky things DO look brilliant though.
Not a lot to report but I got a couple of Lapwing along Alvechurch Highway in ploughed field to left of road and a Male Kestrel up by Beacon Farm.

All the Nest boxes look to have small holes...Blue Tit size....I wonder what size Great Tit or Flycatchers need.

EDIT...Forgot to say the Bluebells are starting to show but only on the sunny side of the hill.

Keith

I know what you mean about the noise, but I think you'll find it's the Wood that has been spoilt! The by-pass was only built in 1963 IIRC. ;)
As for the nest boxes. Pied Fly require 28mm (Great Tit) boxes and Spot Fly prefer open fronted boxes. There are some very Flycatcher-esque spots in the woods, I must agree.

Sy

Popped in on Bank Holiday Monday ........ really hot day and some relief to get under the trees.
Being a holiday it was the quietest I have known here and I could even here the Blue Tits calling.Also spotted some Blackbirds an d a lovely Jay flew into the wood from the out of bounds at the top and off into the trees.

Some pics to show people the great habitat here...knocks spots off the Lickeys....

Attachments

• Canon 112 031.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 112 031.jpg low.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Canon 112 003_ShiftN low.jpg
    Canon 112 003_ShiftN low.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 202
  • Canon 112 010_ShiftN low.jpg
    Canon 112 010_ShiftN low.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Canon 112 005.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 112 005.jpg low.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Including us, there were ELEVEN people on the reserve this afternoon!! Busiest I've ever seen the place. The bluebells are at their very best and we had marvellous views of Great Spotted Woodpeckers busy foraging for their young.

Attachments

• Beacon Wood Bluebells compressed.jpg
    Beacon Wood Bluebells compressed.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 209
Not so busy today in the woods, so I set my camera up on the tripod some way away from a pair of great spotted woodpeckers, and then waited myself an even longer way off with the remote control, so as not to disturb their comings and goings. Pics are heavily cropped due to distance, but I was still pretty pleased with them.

Attachments

• GSW female 1 compressed.jpg
    GSW female 1 compressed.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 170
  • GSW male 2 compressed.jpg
    GSW male 2 compressed.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 195
  • GSW male 3 compressed.jpg
    GSW male 3 compressed.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 200
Great pics John and brill technique.
That tree looks unique - mind you it will be a needle in an haystack to find.
Had a quick 1st visit to look at the lie of the land in Broadmoor Wood - does not look as ancient as this one but there seemed more visible birds.Only took a (too) small lens camera and no bins and the weather was dull and windy.
Putting some pics on it's thread soon.

Hope to have a visit this week.

"I am very fond of Beaconwood and the area around the bridleway up to Beacon Lane and Monument Lane."......lifted from Broadmoor thread from John......

When I was there some time ago one evening I was passed by a biker 1/2 way around....when I got to exit he came back down the hill and asked if there was a way out at the top as he thought it could be a way home from work for him.

He must have looked at a map and seen a way straight through.
Is there one ?
If I had known there was one I would have not let him know as I do not think bikes should be encouraged and also should he be a member to go in here.

I see on the trusts map of the area there is Chadwick wood north of Beaconwood and connected by what looks like a planted section.....I know the house by the Monument Lane /Beacon Hill junc has a large garden and it's probably theirs....but is Chadwick as well.
Does the Bridleway go through any of these areas ?

"I am very fond of Beaconwood and the area around the bridleway up to Beacon Lane and Monument Lane."......lifted from Broadmoor thread from John......

When I was there some time ago one evening I was passed by a biker 1/2 way around....when I got to exit he came back down the hill and asked if there was a way out at the top as he thought it could be a way home from work for him.

He must have looked at a map and seen a way straight through.
Is there one ?
If I had known there was one I would have not let him know as I do not think bikes should be encouraged and also should he be a member to go in here.

I see on the trusts map of the area there is Chadwick wood north of Beaconwood and connected by what looks like a planted section.....I know the house by the Monument Lane /Beacon Hill junc has a large garden and it's probably theirs....but is Chadwick as well.
Does the Bridleway go through any of these areas ?

Keith

The Bridleway doesn't go through the reserve, it runs from the road up past the entrance to Beaconwood, right past Winsel Cottage and then through a gate and on past Beacon Farm and on to Beacon Lane, running close to the South side of the reserve much of the way. It is heavily used by horses as evidenced by the hoof prints, mostly from Beacon Farm I suspect.

A few photos from today:

1. & 2. Greater Stitchwort
3. Male Green Veined White on Jack-by-the-hedge
4. Couldn't resist another pic of the male GSW

Attachments

• Greater Stitchwort 1 compressed.jpg
    Greater Stitchwort 1 compressed.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 195
  • Greater Stitchwort and Bluebell compressed.jpg
    Greater Stitchwort and Bluebell compressed.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Green Veined White on Jack-by-the-hedge compressed.jpg
    Green Veined White on Jack-by-the-hedge compressed.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 182
  • GSW male 4 compressed.jpg
    GSW male 4 compressed.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 189
Keith, I've seen those as I pass that field every day. You are right about the Buzzard I've seen him sitting to the left of the field and also right next to the slip road.

Field also attracts plenty of gulls in certain weeks with the tip being very close. Well worth keeping an eye out.

...........and yesterday there were about 100 Gulls...large ones with Adult and Young ones just sitting enjoying the sun about 2pm.

Today I thought they would be gone as it was raining hard and I saw about 20 flying over the motorway as I approached junc 4 from services.
But as the field came into view they looked to be many more today...still sitting in weather only suitable for ducks...lol
Can't stop on the bypass and to wet to park up and walk but there could be some interesting ones in there if anyone is local enough to look when the weather clears.

Dad (johnlayj) and I took a walk around the reserve today. It started slowly. There was a very cold patch down near the drainage pool.

Roe deer

Blue Tit, Great tit, Coal Tit, Wood Pigeon, Buzzard,
Goldcrest, Redwing, Blackbird, Wren, Treecreeper,
Great Spotted Woodpecker, Chaffinch, Magpie, Jay,
Robin, Carrion Crow

Chinese Water Deer

A quiet evening from the point of view of bird sightings, but as the sun was setting, a fox ran out of the undergrowth chased purposefully by this deer. I have frequently seen Roe Deer at Beacon Wood, but I am advised that this is a Muntjac :t:

(unable to change original title of the post)

Attachments

• Chinese Water Deer comp.jpg
    Chinese Water Deer comp.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
A quiet evening from the point of view of bird sightings, but as the sun was setting, a fox ran out of the undergrowth chased purposefully by this deer. I have frequently seen Roe Deer at Beacon Wood, but I believe this is a Chinese Water Deer.

Muntjac :t:

3 Fox cubs play fighting in the field as I waited at lights on Junc 4 of M5....I was turning towards Rubery and they were in and out of hedge below bypass.
!st baby foxes I have ever seen.
Hope they dont try and cross bypass or M5.

2 Kestrel over exit slip road (M5 j4) and field ...3.15pm
Also 3 Buzzard over Alvechurch Highway same time.......also had one in tree on left just past the last house yesterday...it was being "looked after " by a Magpie until it annoyed it too much and it swooped low over the field.Looked like it perched on or around the waterworks structure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back