• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (1 Viewer)

Have you had many Blackcaps as I haven't seen any as yet on park but there were reported to me as I walked around today. Hopefully catch them next time.

First Blackcap this morning (Battens Drive end), a few Common Whitethroats, brief appearance of Sand Martins with 2 Swallows. Heron chicks are starting to pop their heads up out of the nest (right hand one on large island). Best of all was the first Reed Warbler of the year (Reedbed next to the visitor centre).

Thanks for updates - I ended up at Upton. Gutted to miss Whimbrel but great to hear of some nice birds arriving and passing through.

Pair of Redstarts in meadows this morning. Fantastic views seen by myself and two other local birders. Just hope they stay around for a while.

Looked to be at least 4 Heron chicks on the nests. Plenty of normal woodland birds along east path.

Warblers and other birders on the increase. Great to see more people dropping in.

Garden Warbler, Common Sand (D.Jackson), 17 Grey Heron (Young now fishing around the lake), Blackcaps, Willow Warblers, Whitethroats. Oystercatcher again reported earlier in week on main island.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 109
2 Oystercatchers were at Arrow Valley on April 29th (Jenny Renowden).

Are they resident or just occurring much more frequently at AV this year?
Matt

Tough call, they seem to be around early a number of times each week but couldn't be guaranteed. About time you had a Tern influx ?

2 Common Tern and 2 Wheatears by Fisheries this morning also treated to a fly past by a Curlew.

Down at the Lake the heronry was as busy as always. 1 Common Sand was about on east side and had a Stock Dove for the first time.

Sorry for the late post Neil,

Last Sunday Male Yellowhammer between the meadow and the bottom end of the lake. Thought worth posting as a local birder told me he has never seen one around the park. Will post photo if I can find out how.

Fairly quiet morning in terms of Lake. Young Canadian Geese and Greylag around. Plenty of warblers in meadows.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 83
GoldenI,
I showed the photo to a local birder who didn't argue that it was not a yellowhammer. You have now got me doubting myself, so I am looking for clarification.

GoldenI,
I showed the photo to a local birder who didn't argue that it was not a yellowhammer. You have now got me doubting myself, so I am looking for clarification.

Pic too small to tell but looked too long and thin for a Greenie to me.
Either way 2 nice 'uns to spot
Keith :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back