• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (1 Viewer)

Thanks Keith,

I've got some other photos which I will put on Flickr when I have time. Might help with I.D.
Look for broke_dave on Flickr.

The 4 Heron chicks which hatched in July (is this unusually late?), are now all out of the nest. At least 4, possibly 5, Cormorants are now back on the lake. Kingfisher very active all week from the weir down stream towards Ipsley.
With regards to the young herons, this is the second successive year of young in July.

The Herons have had another great year. I counted 15 yesterday morning. Good to see Cormorants back but no sure the fisherman agree.

Summer migrants disappearing fast, only saw 1 Whitethroat in 2 hours.

Glad you saw the Kingfisher Dave as I haven't seen one for a while.

It's a real shame the land isn't managed with more conservation in mind but guess its just limited resources.

I had a look for the kingfisher on Sunday but did not get lucky. My first visit - was quite impressed. Saw plenty of fish.

Glad you enjoyed it. The more people down there the more chance of us spotting a gem.

The lake sadly lacks width so will always be limited to ducks in winter.

Please post any sightings.

Female Kestrel hunting fields behind lake this evening. An additional 4 Cormorants came in to roost whilst it looks like a number of this years Herons have moved on to pastures new.

15 Cormorants reported in the week. Fish stocks will soon be low! Brief glimpse of Kingfisher today heading down stream towards Ipsley. Grey Wagtail also on same patch. Grebe with 3 chicks, otherwise very quiet.

Lovely autumn morning at the lake this morning. Nothing unusual around - the Cormorants have all gone. Managed to photo a heron catching a fish (a first for me!) - photo is on flickr on my photostream (broke_dave).
Also heard a rumour that an Otter has been seen on the lake.

Agreed Dave stunning morning. Lake itself very quiet. Had some nice views of Blackcaps and Nuthatches in hedgerows feeding.

Only one Cormorant and four Grey Herons.

Flog of 160 Greylag reported in week.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 84
Thats a good one Dave for the main Lake. Perhaps out luck is going to change and might get some nice ducks this winter.

Fingers crossed.

Neil,
We do see Pochard most winters, sadly they do not stay. Today though it was the turn of the Shovellers - 2 mails at the visitor center end of the lake. In the past they have had the tendency to stay around.

6 Shovellors on Main Lake this afternoon a local treat. Nice flock of Long Tailed Tits and Siskins on side of river on walk down to Ipsley Pool.

Attachments

• photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 55
Cheers Dave. Stunning morning down there. I saw the same 3 but 4 Shovellers up by the Visitor Centre. 60+ Redwing, 5 Fieldfare and a Buzzard on Bridleway between main lake and Ipsley lake.

I do wish the centre staff would fill the feeders up at Visitor Centre and just clear the Sightings board. It still has Terns on !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back