• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

woodwolf

Hi
I enjoy reading similar threads for other counties, so thought it would be nice if Worcestershire had it's own place on here to discuss something that a lot of birders have an interest in too, the species and related chat.

I saw my first butterfly last year around 25th Feb, so if the temperature picks up soon, the Butterfly year should be underway !

March is also the time to dusting off the moth trap in earnest, and consider contributing to the Garden Moth Scheme
I did manage a Dark Chestnut a couple of weeks ago, but nothing since.

Need to wait a bit longer for the odonata.

Be interesting to see how last years heavy rainfall has affected this years species and counts

Cheers

Mark

Hi
I enjoy reading similar threads for other counties, so thought it would be nice if Worcestershire had it's own place on here to discuss something that a lot of birders have an interest in too, the species and related chat.

I saw my first butterfly last year around 25th Feb, so if the temperature picks up soon, the Butterfly year should be underway !

March is also the time to dusting off the moth trap in earnest, and consider contributing to the Garden Moth Scheme
I did manage a Dark Chestnut a couple of weeks ago, but nothing since.

Need to wait a bit longer for the odonata.

Be interesting to see how last years heavy rainfall has affected this years species and counts

Cheers

Mark

A good idea for a thread Mark...even on Bird Forum. As you say many birders tend to be into butterflies, moths, dragonfies etc as well. This is especially so between Spring and Autumn migration durring the lull in proceedings

Jase

Nice one...last year was a disaster - started getting wet early on and it still is.
I just pray we get something better this year.

Keith :t:

I still managed these last year.....

Attachments

• Wor 1.jpg
    Wor 1.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Wor 2.jpg
    Wor 2.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Wor 3.jpg
    Wor 3.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 212
  • Wor 4.jpg
    Wor 4.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Wor 5.jpg
    Wor 5.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 225
Nice one...last year was a disaster - started getting wet early on and it still is.
I just pray we get something better this year.

I still managed these last year.....

A great selection Keith...particulatly like the Small Skipper photo, it really is superb!

I know what you mean by last summer...let's hope next year is better!

A couple of shot's of my first's from last year ( March ) - roll on spring !

Attachments

• P1000034.jpg
    P1000034.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 203
  • P1010986.jpg
    P1010986.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 212
Already had my first Butterfly of the year this year. A Red Admiral; way back in the middle of January!
Great idea for a thread!
MB

Cheers MB, Glenn et al.
Looks like you hold the record for 2013 Craig..? :t:
The weather looks to be warming up a bit ,Tuesday predicted as High 12, low 7 so could be the first really good trapping night of the year ?
I know Gert Will be keen to break his mothing duck ( if thats not an oxymoron :eek!: )

A couple of last years moths...
Keith

Attachments

• 7563905144_ee85045a59_b.jpg
    7563905144_ee85045a59_b.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 7975864845_b8df6d66ba_b.jpg
    7975864845_b8df6d66ba_b.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Yes good shout with the species.....
The Lime Hawk was hiding in and around an old skip in Oldbury...it was blowing a gale and every time it tried to fly it was getting blown all over the place.There was a canal nearby so think it might have been around there.I rescued it and took a few snaps as well.
The Mother of Pearl was on that plant not far from Bittell early one morning.The wings were really rainbow coloured.

I had my first Red Admiral of the year at The Knapp & Papermill NR yesterday afternoon.

I reckon this was an actual Spring emergance as opposed to a hibernating one being lured out for a short while on a sunny winter day.

Also on the wing were a couple of Honey Bees.

Jase

After a few " nil by moth " evenings over the last week,a result with the moth trap this evening, popping it out 7-8.30. Managed to nab a Dotted Border, which I pottted for a couple of minutes for a record shot before releasing. A new one for me B :)

Attachments

• dbu.jpg
    dbu.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 227
  • db2.jpg
    db2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 202
There was a Queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) flitting around a conifer in my back garden this afternoon...first I have seen in 2013

The sunshine today brought out a few inverts at Shenstone with 2 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies and a Queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee noted.

I found this little inconspicuous moth in my garage on Saturday.

I'd guess it is Agonopterix alstromeriana (Hemlock Moth) - but I'm happy to be corrected. Any comments / suggestions welcome. Cheers. :t:

Attachments

• Moth in garage 160313.JPG
    Moth in garage 160313.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 230
I found this little inconspicuous moth in my garage on Saturday.

I'd guess it is Agonopterix alstromeriana (Hemlock Moth) - but I'm happy to be corrected. Any comments / suggestions welcome. Cheers. :t:

As good a guess as mine ..

it's an August to April moth.. Checking the site below, similar (ish) species seems to be Diurnea Fagella, which is highly variable and occurs March-May, some pics I found looked a bit similar..would take either in the trap at the moment as this weather is a crippler :C

Anyone interested, this website is good for telling you what is on the wing now, helps you narrow things down a bit

http://www.hantsmoths.org.uk/flying_tonight.php

As good a guess as mine ..

it's an August to April moth.. Checking the site below, similar (ish) species seems to be Diurnea Fagella, which is highly variable and occurs March-May, some pics I found looked a bit similar..would take either in the trap at the moment as this weather is a crippler :C

Anyone interested, this website is good for telling you what is on the wing now, helps you narrow things down a bit

http://www.hantsmoths.org.uk/flying_tonight.php

I'm with Agonopterix alstromeriana which can occur between August and April (so throughout the winter)

Diurnea Fagella although variable (so can look similar in patterning) has a different wing shape...if you look at the rear edge of the wings when closed they are far more convex (almost pointed)

Both species are listed as a common on the VC37 moth list

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back