• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

It's very encouraging that Peacocks and Small Tort seem to be about in good numbers now.

I have had a steady stream of new moths over the last few nights, mainly the expected and obvious macros like Hebrew Character and Early Grey (Pic).
Also had a few micro's, like Twenty-plume (Pic)

I think 20 plumes are cracking micros...not trapped one in my back garden (yet!)

Emperor Moth

Hello All,
Has anyone seen Emperor moth or caught one in a moth trap or attracted males with a female in Worcestershire in recent years and if so which areas.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Hello All,
Has anyone seen Emperor moth or caught one in a moth trap or attracted males with a female in Worcestershire in recent years and if so which areas.

Regards, John

Hi John,

I saw a male Emperor Moth patrolling over the heather at Hartlebury Common back in May 2010.

Hope this helps

Jase

Emperor moth

Hi John,

I saw a male Emperor Moth patrolling over the heather at Hartlebury Common back in May 2010.

Hope this helps

Jase

Thanks for this sighting Jason, Dave Brown Warks Moth recorder took a female Emperor he bred to Oversley wood Warks near Worcestershire Border yesterday and she attracted some males. I thought they may have been released by someone there, however Dave said in a later answer that they were wild males as bred ones are much smaller in size. They may have come from a small colony last recorded in 1960's there or may have moved in from ?.

Regards, John

Emperor distribution Worcestershire

as far as Worcs Emps are concerned - The Peplow brothers have recorded it in
singles in some years in their large rural garden near Pershore.

This is not heathland or woodland but has some rough permanent grassland
within a mile which is where they may be coming from but unproven.
Last year I caught a female at Croome Landscape Park in late March which
again was from just some rough grassland bordered by old hedges.

It was also seen near Droitwich in rough pasture 2 years ago. It is probably
more abundant on the Kidderminster acid/sandy heaths and maybe the Malverns
or Bredon HIll (as you say) but little actual recent evidence. Trying to
plan field mothing searches in spring to high ground is never easy.

Details Steve Whitehouse

Regards, John

as far as Worcs Emps are concerned - The Peplow brothers have recorded it in
singles in some years in their large rural garden near Pershore.

This is not heathland or woodland but has some rough permanent grassland
within a mile which is where they may be coming from but unproven.
Last year I caught a female at Croome Landscape Park in late March which
again was from just some rough grassland bordered by old hedges.

It was also seen near Droitwich in rough pasture 2 years ago. It is probably
more abundant on the Kidderminster acid/sandy heaths and maybe the Malverns
or Bredon HIll (as you say) but little actual recent evidence. Trying to
plan field mothing searches in spring to high ground is never easy.

Details Steve Whitehouse

Regards, John

Thanks for all the info John...fascinating stuff.

I am friends with WFDC heathland reserves ranger...so I will ask him to keep his eyes peeled and find out if and where he sees them this year.

Jason

First odonata

Had my first Odonata today, Large Red Damselfly, Monkwood. Also managed to find, photograph and collect a lovely exuvia

Attachments

• lrd.jpg
    lrd.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 136
Had my first Odonata today, Large Red Damselfly, Monkwood. Also managed to find, photograph and collect a lovely exuvia
Nice one, had a good look around Upton this afternoon for one - without succes. ( Think I had one there at the back end of April last year. )

Nice Sharp image great capture :t:

Cheers Joe..were you in the Wyre ths morning..wandered if it was you I chatted to looking for Pied Fly ?

Glenn, they seem to be really late mate. First ones in Gloucs 2nd May I think ? Don't know if there have been any sightings in Worcs before today to be honest

butterflies today

On the wing at Monkwood, Brimstone, Large White, Peacock, and Orange Tip

Attachments

• ot.jpg
    ot.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 101
Throckmorton Landfill Site

On Thursday afternoon there were Brimstone, Orange-tip, Small White and one Grizzled Skipper on the wing.

Attachments

• IMG_8278.jpg
    IMG_8278.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 121
Nice one with the Grizzled Skipper. Didn't connect with any on the Shropshire side of the Wyre today, very quiet. Infact more on my patch with Green Veined White and Holly Blue added to the year list, plenty of Peacocks and a few Orange Tips too, plus Large Whites.

Cheers Joe..were you in the Wyre ths morning..wandered if it was you I chatted to looking for Pied Fly ?

Glenn, they seem to be really late mate. First ones in Gloucs 2nd May I think ? Don't know if there have been any sightings in Worcs before today to be honest

I was but don't think it was me mate I was over by Cold Harbour Coppice most off the yesterday morning and didn't see anyone around. If you do see me in the future I'am basically a teenager with a DSLR You can't miss me ;)

Had my 1st Orange Tip male at Feckenham Saturday and some Whites and loads of Peacocks around at the moment.
Nothing was landing and the wind did not help.
Seems funny with all the Peacocks around my fave field but not a lot of food plants for them.
This one seemed to like this dead leaf....only had the 400mm lens.
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 111 042.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 111 042.jpg low.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 103
Nice Capture Keith! There's a load off them and Orange tips in the Wyre Forest aswell! I had the same problem nothing ever landed!

Green Longhorn Fairy Moth (Adela reaumurella) Male (I think).

Attachments

• Green Longhorn Fairy Moth (Adela reaumurella) Male_forum.jpg
    Green Longhorn Fairy Moth (Adela reaumurella) Male_forum.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 103
This is a relatively common micro. The 1st pic from last year, 5th May, with female on the left, Wyre. 2nd pic is from my patch this afternoon.Seems like everyting is 2-3 weeks behind, but catching up now ?

Attachments

• long1.jpg
    long1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 100
  • for1.jpg
    for1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 96
At least 10 Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries showing in the Wyre today. Also 4 Brimstone, a single Peacock and large numbers of 'whites' and Orange Tips
MB

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back