• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

The spider and the fly

Not so good on spider and fly identification, but I think this is tetragnatha extensa taking down a tipula maxima crane fly by the Salwarpe at Upton Warren. Happy to be corrected if your id is more secure.

Attachments

• Tetragnatha vs Tipula compressed.jpg
    Tetragnatha vs Tipula compressed.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Tetragnatha vs Tipula compressed 2.jpg
    Tetragnatha vs Tipula compressed 2.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 112
Carpet Moths

Spotted my first Common Carpet Moth ( pic ) on my patch at the weekened. Also seen was Silver-ground Carpet moth

Of note from the trap at the weekend was a nice fresh Flame Carpet also(pic)

Attachments

• comcar.jpg
    comcar.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 102
  • flamecar.jpg
    flamecar.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 100
Would any of you Moth people out there ID the attached rather attractive small moth which were quite common this morning, even in light drizzle. I'm pretty sure of seen them before in grassland.

Des.

Attachments

• Moth.jpg
    Moth.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 103
Nice one...last year was a disaster - started getting wet early on and it still is.
I just pray we get something better this year.

Keith :t:

I still managed these last year.....

Keith, I've come rather late to your pictures, but where did you see the 4-Spotted-Chaser ?

Des.

Would any of you Moth people out there ID the attached rather attractive small moth which were quite common this morning, even in light drizzle. I'm pretty sure of seen them before in grassland.

Des.

Des, we had the same one recently, put it on the moth thread, and it was id'd as Ancylis badiana, a micro moth.

Des.

Cracking looking little moth Des

Visited Hill Ditch Pool, Hartlebury on the weekend. Only Odonata seen on the wing were 2 Large Red Damselflies. Also of interest were 24 Spot Ladybird (a new species for me) and a tiny little micro moth called Micropterix calthella.

Attachments

• Large Red Damselfly small - Hillditch Pool, Hartlebury, 19th May 2013.jpg
    Large Red Damselfly small - Hillditch Pool, Hartlebury, 19th May 2013.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 24 Spot Ladybird - Hillditch Pool, 19th May 2013.jpg
    24 Spot Ladybird - Hillditch Pool, 19th May 2013.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Micropterix calthella small - Hillditch Pool, Hartlebury (Worcs), 19th May 2013.jpg
    Micropterix calthella small - Hillditch Pool, Hartlebury (Worcs), 19th May 2013.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 104
Keith, I've come rather late to your pictures, but where did you see the 4-Spotted-Chaser ?

Des.

...and sorry I missed your request yesterday.
the Chaser was at Feckenham Wylde Moor reserve.I have only ever seen them twice and both were here last year and the year before.
They look quite drab when flying but are really beautiful when you can study them.
As are all insects .
Keith :t:

A couple from the weekend , other local patch species seen : Large, Small and Green-veined Whites, Peacock plus one Blue species ? All but the last one allowed pretty close views. ( Nice to feel the sun again ! )

Attachments

• P1050505.jpg
    P1050505.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 93
  • P1050512.jpg
    P1050512.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
At last! It has taken until May 22nd to record my first dragonly. What a Spring.
Yesterday did not look very promising and gloves would not have looked out of place for most of the morning, but the sun shone for brief periods in the afternoon and moving between hides at Upton Warren turned up a number of insects attached. In no particular order: Red-eyed Damselfly (teneral). Blue-tailed Damselfly. Beautiful Demoiselle. Cardinal Beetle. Tree Bee ?

Des.

Attachments

• Cardinal Beetle.jpg
    Cardinal Beetle.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Beautiful Demoiselle.jpg
    Beautiful Demoiselle.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 108
  • Blue-tailed Damselfly.jpg
    Blue-tailed Damselfly.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Red-eyed Damselfly.jpg
    Red-eyed Damselfly.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Bee.jpg
    Bee.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 90
I was quietly hopeful that by the Bank Holliday weekend there may be 3 sp of Damselfly plus a Dragonfly on the wing. Things are so Stop and start, we need a few days of continuous warm weather really, but there is a chance of connecting with a few year firsts at the weekend by the looks of things.

For interest - a few pics of common moths seen when out and about over previous years that should be emerging soon:

Nemophora degeerella - Trench Wood (June 2010) - day-flying micro with unfeasibly long antennae and curious dancing flight.

Swifts - Trench Wood (June 2011)

Chimney Sweeper - Eades Meadow (June 2010)

Attachments

• Nemophora degeerella Trench Wood 130610.jpg
    Nemophora degeerella Trench Wood 130610.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Swifts Trench Wood.JPG
    Swifts Trench Wood.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Chimney Sweeper Eades Meadow 130610.JPG
    Chimney Sweeper Eades Meadow 130610.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 95
I am liking those swifts Dave, not one I have connected with yet.

Yellow Shell and Burnet Companion are worth looking out for also, seen early June last year

Attachments

• yellshell.jpg
    yellshell.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 88
  • burncomp.jpg
    burncomp.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 95
......................two more from yesterday. Large Red Damselfly and Wolf Spider?

Des.

Attachments

• Large Red Damselfly.jpg
    Large Red Damselfly.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 101
At last! It has taken until May 22nd to record my first dragonly. What a Spring.
Yesterday did not look very promising and gloves would not have looked out of place for most of the morning, but the sun shone for brief periods in the afternoon and moving between hides at Upton Warren turned up a number of insects attached. In no particular order: Red-eyed Damselfly (teneral). Blue-tailed Damselfly. Beautiful Demoiselle. Cardinal Beetle. Tree Bee ?

Des.

Hi Des,
The bee looks like a Common Carder Bee (Bombus pascuorum). Tree bee has the same ginger coloured thorax but its abdomen is black with a white band at it's tip.

Hope this helps
Jase

Hi Mark,

At first I thought they were just Common Swifts but now I think they could be the less-common Gold Swifts. I'm no expert though - what do you think?

No expert either Dave, and my tome is at home, but looking at some internet images, I can certainly see why you are edging towards Gold Swift. Definitely will check the site out in the coming weeks. Apparently the males have a scent resembling pineapple...bring back any memories of the time ? 8-P

No expert either Dave, and my tome is at home, but looking at some internet images, I can certainly see why you are edging towards Gold Swift. Definitely will check the site out in the coming weeks. Apparently the males have a scent resembling pineapple...bring back any memories of the time ? 8-P

Unfortunately, I didn't sniff 'em. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back