• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Gold Swift

For interest - a few pics of common moths seen when out and about over previous years that should be emerging soon:

Nemophora degeerella - Trench Wood (June 2010) - day-flying micro with unfeasibly long antennae and curious dancing flight.

Swifts - Trench Wood (June 2011)

Chimney Sweeper - Eades Meadow (June 2010)

Hi Woodchat,
They look like Gold Swift to me, I have seen them at dusk before, flying around vegetation.

Regards, John

......................two more from yesterday. Large Red Damselfly and Wolf Spider?

Des.

Des, I think it's a Nursery Web Spider (pisaura mirabilis) from the jizz, the way the first two pairs of legs are held together and the tuft of hair between the eyes. The clincher would be the size. A Nursery Web is much bigger than a Wolf, maybe 12mm body vs 6mm.

John

Des, I think it's a Nursery Web Spider (pisaura mirabilis) from the jizz, the way the first two pairs of legs are held together and the tuft of hair between the eyes. The clincher would be the size. A Nursery Web is much bigger than a Wolf, maybe 12mm body vs 6mm.

John

In that case I think it is a Nursery Web Spider. Thanks John.

Des.

Today

Club-tailed Dragonfly today on the Severn nr Bewdley. Also down there Lesser Yellow Underwing moth, Drinker moth caterpillar.
Pearl Bordered frits in the Wyre.
On my patch, Mother Shipton moth.
Pics of all are or will be on my Flickr soon. It was also of interest /worry what wasn't seen. Would have expected Small Copper, Common Blue, Demoiselles, White Legged Damselfy. :-C

Hopefully more to come tomorrow.

Club-tailed Dragonfly today on the Severn nr Bewdley. Also down there Lesser Yellow Underwing moth, Drinker moth caterpillar.
Pearl Bordered frits in the Wyre.
On my patch, Mother Shipton moth.
Pics of all are or will be on my Flickr soon. It was also of interest /worry what wasn't seen. Would have expected Small Copper, Common Blue, Demoiselles, White Legged Damselfy. :-C

Hopefully more to come tomorrow.

You struck lucky today Mark and hopefully tomorrow too, but as you say about what was NOT seen out there - had a walk over the fields and local lanes today and very little invert life was noted, and it seems weatherwise the coming week after Mon. does not show a great deal of promise.:-C

Recorded my first Azure Damselfly of the year at a site near Hartlebury yesterday.

Attachments

• Azure Damselfy (fem) smllr - Hillditch Pool, 25th May 2013 resize.jpg
    Azure Damselfy (fem) smllr - Hillditch Pool, 25th May 2013 resize.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 107
You struck lucky today Mark and hopefully tomorrow too, but as you say about what was NOT seen out there - had a walk over the fields and local lanes today and very little invert life was noted, and it seems weatherwise the coming week after Mon. does not show a great deal of promise.:-C

Comparing moth dates to last year, there is some evidence we are 2 weeks behind compared to last year. For example, had my first Brimstone (Pic) in the trap last night, and saw my first Brown silver line and Green Carpet today..all a fortnight later than 2012. The woods are still full of Bluebells and the bracken is only just opening.

Attachments

• brim2013.jpg
    brim2013.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 79
Large ,Small Whites,Orange Tips and the odd Peacock joined me around Feckenham today...

Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 121 013.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 121 013.jpg low.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 90
Finally caught up and managed a photo. of my first Damselfly species of the year on my local patch today :Large Red.

Attachments

• P1050576.jpg
    P1050576.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I saw a Small Yellow Underwing in Monkswood on Sunday. A new tick for me.
Jackie

I meant Small Yellow Underwing on my earlier post, not Lesser.. doh !
here is a pic of one from Saturday, smart little moths

Attachments

• smallyellund.jpg
    smallyellund.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I meant Small Yellow Underwing on my earlier post, not Lesser.. doh !
here is a pic of one from Saturday, smart little moths

Nice one Mark. I'm desperately trying to see one at Shenstone (I know 2 people who did last year!) but to no avail.

This weather isn't gonna help the invert cause much either!

I was wondering if I was going to go through May without seeing a Banded Demoiselle....unheard of, but there was a small window of clear weather at Upton Warren today and damselflies and butterflies came out. Attached is a Green Carpet, Large White and Banded Demoiselle.

Des.

Attachments

• Banded Demoiselle.jpg
    Banded Demoiselle.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Large White.jpg
    Large White.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Green Carpet.jpg
    Green Carpet.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 99
I was wondering if I was going to go through May without seeing a Banded Demoiselle....unheard of, but there was a small window of clear weather at Upton Warren today and damselflies and butterflies came out. Attached is a Green Carpet, Large White and Banded Demoiselle.

Des.

Good to hear that Banded demoiselles are finally on the wing Des!

Recorded my first Four-spotted Chasers of the year at Penny Hill Bank today, where 2 were present.

Attachments

• Four-spotted Chaser smll - Penny Hill Bank, 31st May 2013.jpg
    Four-spotted Chaser smll - Penny Hill Bank, 31st May 2013.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 111
OH took this of a teneral Club-tailed at Gwen Finch today. Great to see some insect life about at last!

Attachments

• Club-tailed dragonfly resized.JPG
    Club-tailed dragonfly resized.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back