• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cofton Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Reports of 2 Goldeneye (f) this morning. I went to check this morning but failed to see them due to the rising mist. Nuthatch, Song Thrush and 2 Bullfinches (1m+1f) along the pathway. Stock Dove heard, and could just make out a Single Cormaront on the water.

I am sure that there are more Little Grebes around the last few years....seemed a few years ago I could not seen one anywhere...

There are always some Little Grebe around the edges of Lower where we viewed the waders from in the spring......

popped in here around 3.30 had the Tufteds...a GCGrebe and a flock of BH Gulls but the light is always a problem as was the biting wind.

I’ve neglected the area in the past, but with it being so close I’ll be checking as frequently as possible from now on. Most notable species I’ve seen are Goldeneye and Mandarin. Always worth checking though, heard from reliable birders of Long-Tailed Duck, with Ring Ouzel, Whinchat and Wheatear seen in the Paddocks. Surrounding Hedgerows look very promising for Redstart. Siskin and Lesser Redpoll in the area recently as I’ve had them in the garden.

Is there any way of accessing the reservoir beyond the footpath from Chestnut Drive? I've only been once but I didn't bother going back as there didn't seem to be much around and the view from the footpath wasn't great.

When you refer to the paddocks, do you mean the fields immediately to the south heading towards Bittell?

Full access to the Reservoir is restricted to those who’s houses back onto it and those who have purchased shares. I’ve been round a few times but I don’t have access to it, so view from footpaths as do most.

As for the paddocks, just follow the path up the hill and peer through the gap in the hedge about half way up.

1 Female Goldeneye at the back of the Resa this morning. On the old island there was 2 Cormaront and 2 large gulls, either Herring or YLG, couldn’t tell. Usual Tufted’s, Mallards and Little Grebes with GC Grebe again and large group of BHG’s. Grey Wag on the overflow.

Full access to the Reservoir is restricted to those who’s houses back onto it and those who have purchased shares. I’ve been round a few times but I don’t have access to it, so view from footpaths as do most.

As for the paddocks, just follow the path up the hill and peer through the gap in the hedge about half way up.

Thanks. I'll give it another go.

Are the paddocks No 1 on the map...I know there used to be horses in No2 but might be gone now the houses are being built.

Also do you know if there is access to the little pond you can see below the outfall ?

Attachments

• PAD.jpg
    PAD.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 37
Paddocks are number 1, but number 2 also looks promising. Paddocks are good with scrubby trees and hedgerows, fenceposts and being on pretty high ground. No access to the pond unfortunately.

Ring Ouzel would be real patch gold! Need the horses in the paddocks April time, and with regular checks who knows what’ll be found.

My first ever visit to Cofton this morning yielded the following:

5 Canada Goose, 5 Mallard, 16 Tufted Duck, 6 Coot, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 2 Little Grebe and 3 Lesser Black-Backed Gull.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back