• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Migration Log (2 Viewers)

Here is a quick round up so far of the return dates (to my knowledge) for a selection of species in Worcestershire in 2014. Others may have more complete info:

Chiffchaff - singing birds from 1st March at least
Blackcap - singing birds from 2nd March at least
Ring Ouzel - 16th March, British Camp
White wagtail - 16th March, Lower Moor
Marsh Harrier - 20th March, Upton Warren
Sand Martin - 20th March, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
Wheatear - 21st March, Wast Hills
LRP - 21st March, sites in 'south Worcs'
Swallow - 22nd March, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
House Martin - 23rd March, Westwood Great Pool
Garganey - 28th March, Grimley
Little Gull - 29th March, Kemerton Lake NR
Willow Warbler - 29th March, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
Osprey - 31st March, Upton warren
Common Tern - 3rd April, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
Yellow Wagtail - 4th April, Ripple Pits / Clifton Pits
Grasshopper Warbler - 5th April, Salwarpe
Sandwich Tern - 7th April, Westwood Great Pool

Any additional info or corrections to the above are very welcome. :t:

Hobby at Welland on 7th.

Common Sandpipers at Grimley and Westwood today.

Brian

A few more arrivals today, all on the Malverns:

2 Tree Pipits on Swinyard Hill
3 Redstarts just south of British Camp
and the first double figure count of Wheatears (12), on British Camp
Also a Whitethroat on British Camp (there was an earlier report of one on the Malverns a few days ago but can't remember the exact date).

Brian

A few more arrivals today, all on the Malverns:

2 Tree Pipits on Swinyard Hill
3 Redstarts just south of British Camp
and the first double figure count of Wheatears (12), on British Camp
Also a Whitethroat on British Camp (there was an earlier report of one on the Malverns a few days ago but can't remember the exact date).

Brian

Excellent - some definite signs of movement in the county now - could be a good weekend.

Incidentally, Portland Bird Obs reporting fall of 500 Phylloscs (plus others) after several days of little evidence passerine movement.

It's all happening - roll on the weekend! ;)

Here is a quick round up so far of the return dates (to my knowledge) for a selection of species in Worcestershire in 2014. Others may have more complete info:

Chiffchaff - singing birds from 1st March at least
Blackcap - singing birds from 2nd March at least
Ring Ouzel - 16th March, British Camp
White wagtail - 16th March, Lower Moor
Marsh Harrier - 20th March, Upton Warren
Sand Martin - 20th March, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
Wheatear - 21st March, Wast Hills
LRP - 21st March, sites in 'south Worcs'
Swallow - 22nd March, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
House Martin - 23rd March, Westwood Great Pool
Garganey - 28th March, Grimley
Little Gull - 29th March, Kemerton Lake NR
Willow Warbler - 29th March, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
Osprey - 31st March, Upton warren
Common Tern - 3rd April, Upton Warren (Any earlier?)
Yellow Wagtail - 4th April, Ripple Pits / Clifton Pits
Grasshopper Warbler - 5th April, Salwarpe
Sandwich Tern - 7th April, Westwood Great Pool

Any additional info or corrections to the above are very welcome. :t:

Hi Dave. You have not included the Sedge Warbler at Upton Warren on 4th April.

Hi Dave. You have not included the Sedge Warbler at Upton Warren on 4th April.

Cheers Andy - bound to be a few that have fallen through the net.

Noted now, though. Thanks.

Will update the full list with all new data (including Sedge and todays new arrivals) in about a week's time. Should be a few more by then, too. :t:

I see that there is a Spotted Flycatcher reported at Broughton Hacket today on Worcesterbirding.

Seems unfeasibly early - probably the first to be reported anywhere in the UK this year!

Not even reported on Lesvos yet - where they are an abundant migrant and you would expect them to be a couple of weeks earlier there than here.

Edit: Just checked Faune Aquitaine website (covers South-west France) - no reports yet this year there either. Correction - there appear to have been 2 records near the Arcachon basin in 2014 so far.

This is a remarkable record if verified.

No reports yet of 'Gobemouche gris' in Provence yet this year either.

Last edited:
I believe the earliest ever Spot Fly for the entire WMBC region was one at Draycote Water in the 13th April (2001).

Thats what you do with the books the kindle replaced.....

SPOTTED FLYCATCHER....have to go hunting a bit closer if ones are around early.
Keith.

I see that there is a Spotted Flycatcher reported at Broughton Hacket today on Worcesterbirding.

Seems unfeasibly early - probably the first to be reported anywhere in the UK this year!

Not even reported on Lesvos yet - where they are an abundant migrant and you would expect them to be a couple of weeks earlier there than here.

Edit: Just checked Faune Aquitaine website (covers South-west France) - no reports yet this year there either. Correction - there appear to have been 2 records near the Arcachon basin in 2014 so far.

This is a remarkable record if verified.

No reports yet of 'Gobemouche gris' in Provence yet this year either.

I agree Dave, does seem early but given the 2001 record and how increasingly unpredictable migration is becoming I wouldn't dismiss anything on date alone. Apparently it was seen well for 5 minutes but couldn't be located later. It could well have overwintered somewhere, say in Iberia and moved north with the Pied Flys which arrived in reasonable numbers yesterday. Although we assume all these migrants are coming up all the way from Africa there must be many that are not bothering to winter that far south.

It's also amazing how some species often don't get detected on the coast and just appear straight back on the breeding grounds, especially Wood Warblers and Pied Flys. Male Pied Flys back on territory in the West Country and mid-Wales in recent days and yet only one has been reported at Portland for example, by yesterday.

Brian

I agree Dave, does seem early but given the 2001 record and how increasingly unpredictable migration is becoming I wouldn't dismiss anything on date alone. Apparently it was seen well for 5 minutes but couldn't be located later. It could well have overwintered somewhere, say in Iberia and moved north with the Pied Flys which arrived in reasonable numbers yesterday. Although we assume all these migrants are coming up all the way from Africa there must be many that are not bothering to winter that far south.

It's also amazing how some species often don't get detected on the coast and just appear straight back on the breeding grounds, especially Wood Warblers and Pied Flys. Male Pied Flys back on territory in the West Country and mid-Wales in recent days and yet only one has been reported at Portland for example, by yesterday.

Brian

I agree and certainly wouldn't dismiss anything for the reasons you outlined.

I just hope the finder realizes the significance - earliest ever record in the WMBC region (per PMA info)!

For those interested in the common migrants then please register for this great website: www.yourlocalpatch.com. Set up by local birders Si and Guy Border it's ideal for local patch workers and could provide a great resource for all sightings across the county and beyond if enough birders register and contribute towards it.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back