• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hurcott..... (1 Viewer)

rollingthunder

England
Re-activated due to inactivity i.e. no posts since my last one nearly 400 days ago! There are other places in Worcestershire other than the Goldfish Bowl but sometimes you wouldn't think so:C

Paid a visit ystda in superb weather - only really to see how many Reed Warblers were present. Not easy from the viewing section as singing birds can be on the far side and make it difficult to estimate...

3-4 singing birds were noted possibly an underestimate. A male Reed Bunting was singing and catching dragonflies for, presumably, nearby young? A pair of Great Crested Grebes were feeding a couple of well-grown young. No hirundines hawking and a Buzzard overhead. Plenty of Blackcaps giving it large and several Chiffchaffs.

I carried on down the main path to have a look at the newly cleared area and pools which i have to say promise a lot but perhaps you need to put in a bit of time which i don't tend to. There will be a rare Heron or Crake their sooner or later but.....

I let the dog thru the 5-barred gate for a drink in the creek, which still holds native White-Clawed Crayfish btw, and to my suprprise a Cetti's Warbler sang twice:eek!: There is a small area of Bullrushes etc about 20 yards from the gate, the bird then flew to the right and didn't show or sing again when i left at 12:00.

I find Hurcott a very pleasant place to visit but seldom see anything of interest and am constantly surprised at the lack of activity both on and over the main pool. The pool, reedbed and the adjacent mire habitat stretching right back to the other road should be a rich vein to exploit now that the management work has been completed. I am happy with a Cetti's for now:t:

I also spent an hour over at nearby Lea Castle around the grounds of the former nuthouse and was rewarded with a pair of displaying Hobby showing all the signs of probably re-furbishing a nearby old Corvids nest for the purposes of procreation?

Laurie:t:

Last edited:
LAURIE....old little used posts can be reactivated when you enter thres a box at the bottom to tick to say you wish to still use it....
Great news on the Cettis.....:t:

Cetti's Warbler still singing ystda about 250 yards further along from the 5-barred gate. When i say 'singing' i turned up from the other end and cycled along towards the gate and heard it once, i then parked at the gate for about an hour and never heard it again.....

Reed Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and Grey Wagtail feeding young and that was about it but pleasant enough with a cigar:t:

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back