• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Y.W.T. proposed Visitor Centre Spurn (1 Viewer)

israel

This is a heads up to any Worcester birders who know of, or had the pleasure of birding Spurn. Yorkshire Wildlife Trust have applied for planning permission to erect a new Visitor Centre.The planning application states thus.On Land South East of The Dovecoat Spurn Road,Kilnsea,East Riding of Yorkshire HU120UH but known more prosaically to birders as the Canal Hedge,a prolific migrant'hot spot'.There is strong opposition from the local residents as well as the birding fraternity.

If you feel you'd like to comment go to East Riding of Yorkshire Council website,
Ref.16/03173/STPLF
There is a 2 week window to do so.

Chris Thomson.

Last edited:
I will look this up Chris. I saw the field where it is planned to put the Visitor Centre. Apart from degrading decent habitat, isn't that area likely to be prone to flooding? The field seems to be almost below sea-level (although I'm sure this is an illusion) but not that sensible a place to put it IMHO.

I will look this up Chris. I saw the field where it is planned to put the Visitor Centre. Apart from degrading decent habitat, isn't that area likely to be prone to flooding? The field seems to be almost below sea-level (although I'm sure this is an illusion) but not that sensible a place to put it IMHO.

Yes it has flooded in the past, some objectors have made this point to the council.

Thanks Mike.:t:

Last edited:
I don't know what it is with some of the 'larger' wildlife Trusts such as Yorkshire and Norfolk. I have spoken to some Cley (Norfolk) regulars and even here at this the Mecca of the UK Birding scene there is conflict with the Trust.
There seems to be a disconnect from what used to be their core values of protecting and caring for wildlife and wild places, to now wanting a more public persona.
I don't know what the Wildlife Trust policy and the raison d'etre really is.
So maybe some one can enlighten me.
This is why to me, the RSPB is by far the leader in protecting wild areas and wildlife both in the UK and abroad.

I don't know what it is with some of the 'larger' wildlife Trusts such as Yorkshire and Norfolk. I have spoken to some Cley (Norfolk) regulars and even here at this the Mecca of the UK Birding scene there is conflict with the Trust.
There seems to be a disconnect from what used to be their core values of protecting and caring for wildlife and wild places, to now wanting a more public persona.
I don't know what the Wildlife Trust policy and the raison d'etre really is.
So maybe some one can enlighten me.
This is why to me, the RSPB is by far the leader in protecting wild areas and wildlife both in the UK and abroad.

Well said, John - couldn't have put it better - some of the Wildlife Trusts do seem to have 'lost the plot' at times. I also often find it quite disconcerting when, on the face of it, some of the staff of these organisations seem to have little or no interest in or passion for wildlife! Very strange the way things are going these days. Seems they are being run just like any other corporate enterprise and all that matters is their public appeal and the bottom line of their accounts. :C

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back