• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

Firstly, I have no information regarding a Little Stint. I was at the Flashes this evening.

MOORS:

Little Egret (4)-----------------------Oystercatcher (4)
Snipe (3)-----------------------------Lapwing (3)
Shelduck (9)-------------------------Pochard (2)
Gadwall (4)--------------------------Shoveler (54)
Tufted Duck (33)--------------------Teal (5)
Kingfisher (2)------------------------Herring Gull (3)
Fieldfare (c20)-----------------------Little Grebe (3)
G C Grebe (4)------------------------Cormorant (11)
Sparrowhawk------------------------Mute Swan (2)
Chiffchaff-----------------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Greylag Goose (2)

FLASHES:

Avocet (22)---------------------------Dunlin (1)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Snipe (2)
Curlew (11)---------------------------Lapwing (6)
Shelduck (2)--------------------------Teal (10)
Shoveler (2)--------------------------Peregrine
Raven (1)-----------------------------Chiffchaff
G C Grebe (1)------------------------B H Gull (c700) including individual PA86 first seen last November.
Cetti's Warbler

ED RES/SAILING POOL:

Sand Martin--------------------------Goldcrest
Buzzard (5)--------------------------Tufted Duck (8)
G C Grebe (4)

NORTH MOORS:

Gadwall (2)--------------------------Teal (2)
Redwing (3)

Des.

Des
The curlew flock is up and down at the moment, I wonder if the 18 yesterday
included 7 short staying migrants.
Lapwing: yesterday a flock of c35 dropped in mid afternoon, were obviously migrants as they don't appear to be there today.

Des
The curlew flock is up and down at the moment, I wonder if the 18 yesterday
included 7 short staying migrants.
Lapwing: yesterday a flock of c35 dropped in mid afternoon, were obviously migrants as they don't appear to be there today.

The Curlew flock was fragmenting. There were small parties and isolated individuals.

Des.

upton year listers

I know a few of you always keep a list, but it would be good to get a few more involved. This would ensure that more people would visit more often and more goodies would be found.

my list is 82. recent Dunlin and med gull.

New for the year (#97) - Little Stint

I will have a trawl through the records but would be surprised if we have had a bird earlier than say mid April previously

BirdLists @birdlistsuk · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
Brief views of a Little Stint at Moors Pools UW. Flushed as trying to roost and lost sight #uptonwarren

the above on the twitter a/c of the observer :t:

FLASHES:

Avocet (22)---------------------------Dunlin (1)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Snipe (2)
Curlew (11)---------------------------Lapwing (6)
Shelduck (2)--------------------------Teal (10)
Shoveler (2)--------------------------Peregrine
Raven (1)-----------------------------Chiffchaff
G C Grebe (1)------------------------B H Gull (c700) including individual PA86 first seen last November.
Cetti's Warbler

Des.

The Black-headed Gull sporting yellow leg ring PA86 was ringed as a nestling on the Baltic coast at Klaipeda, Lietuva, Lithuania on the 22nd June 2013. It was subsequently noted at Edgbaston Reservoir, Birmingham on the 27th February 2014 and at Upton Warren on the 12th November 2014.

New for the year (#97) - Little Stint

I will have a trawl through the records but would be surprised if we have had a bird earlier than say mid April previously

I only have a note of specific dates for the birds recorded since 1984, none of which was any earlier than May so today was an exceptional record. The half-monthly breakdown of records between 1984 and 2014 is as follows, highlighting how rare even Spring birds are:

May - 1st half: 2
May - 2nd half: 3
June - 1st half: 0
June - 2nd half: 0
July - 1st half: 0
July - 2nd half: 1
August - 1st half: 6
August - 2nd half: 4
September - 1st half: 19
September - 2nd half: 16
October - 1st half: 6
October - 2nd half: 6
November - 1st half: 1
November -2nd half: 0

Last edited:
Have been reading about tomorrow's eclipse with interest. Will the birds go silent? Could the owls get confused? Will be there in the morning to find out. Look forward to hearing other's views on the subject.

Have been reading about tomorrow's eclipse with interest. Will the birds go silent? Could the owls get confused? Will be there in the morning to find out. Look forward to hearing other's views on the subject.

Most likely for a total eclipse; probably not for a partial eclipse - will be interested to hear your observations

After a talk about the coast and its wildlife from Miranda Krestovnikoff, President of RSPB, today I spoke to her a little about inland waders.
She asked me where I was talking about - and she's gone home with Upton Warren written on a little sheet of paper!
I can't wait to get back in a couple of weeks ;)

A cold start but as the day warmed up, the BHG's took to the air hawking the emergent gnats. The Avocet flock came on to the Moors having again been disturbed by the sewage workers, but they soon returned. By the afternoon they were settled and going through their rituals. Around the moors plenty of water rail were calling and squealing in territorial disputes. The cettis , song thrush and several reed buntings were singing. A couple of waders moved through at the Flashes namely dunlin and ringed plover but dissapointingly no LRP yet.

Trevor Jones reported 2 Sand Martin and 3 Little Egret at the Moors Pool today but still no sign of LRP at the Flashes

Actually we should get too worried; last year the first bird wasn't until 24th March and in 1988 LRP's arrival had to wait until the 2nd April :eek!:

The eclipse didn't seem to make any difference to bird behaviour this morning, though a snipe did show really well at 9.25am. Recorded a total of 38 species during my visit, which was split between the Moors and the Flashes. Long tailed tits gathering nesting material, chiffchaffs singing and a yellow brimstone butterfly - Spring definitely in the air.

Craig also mentioned an entry in the Flashes log....Goshawk this afternoon.he didn't recognise the initials

Master Reed also didn't recognise the word "Redshank" which is what the entry in the log book actually says! 8-P (sorry Craig)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back