• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

The 33 terns were just those roosting at the flashes since Tuesday . This does not include the freshly hatched chicks and parents from the floating nest and also the chicks and parents of the nearly fledged chicks on the vegetated islands. If you and Pam can count both lots and enter the figures in the log books I would appreciate that. I would guess poss 40+ in total.
cheers John

John I hope you are still keeping notes.(remember)
POP

there is only one person that used to say that to me. and could it be you JOHN from all those years ago in my twitching days. If so you must be a 100 now (only joking lets call it 99)

there is only one person that used to say that to me. and could it be you JOHN from all those years ago in my twitching days. If so you must be a 100 now (only joking lets call it 99)

Spot on the money John and waiting for the Queens telegram,great to know you are still the "King" of Upton Warren.(john)

POP (nome de plume for an idiot) will have to come and check the notebooks one day.

Spot on the money John and waiting for the Queens telegram,great to know you are still the "King" of Upton Warren.(john)

POP (nome de plume for an idiot) will have to come and check the notebooks one day.

Hi John your one of my heroes of those days was always nice to have the banter with you. What are you up to these days. Would be nice to get a good bird at Upton for an old time reunion. Do you still Paul Powell etc
John

John yes still see Paul and others in the gang.Am trying to send you EMail but its hold up at the moment

John

Hope nobody minds but I have combined my Worcs sightings for today in one post as we visited both Lower Smite farm and Upton Warren today!

Visited Lower Smite Farm this morning and although it was quiet birdwise it was busy butterfly wise!! Had good views of a Common Buzzard and Sparrowhawk over the fields together with a Juvenile Swallow who seemed to be quite content enjoying the sunshine on the telegraph wire! Butterflies seen were Holly Blue, Gatekeeper, Peacock, Painted Lady, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Large & Small White and Small Copper!

Managed to see the Juv Wood Sandpiper at the Flashes this afternoon, typically it stayed right at the back of the pool together with a Dunlin, 8+ Green Sandpipers, Common Sandpipers, Curlews, BH Gulls and Grey Heron. It was nice to see Common Snipe back at the Flashes this afternoon! A record pic of the Wood Sandpiper is attached!

Attachments

• P1150201 [].JPG
    P1150201 [].JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 322
  • P1150211 [].JPG
    P1150211 [].JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 311
  • P1150215 [].JPG
    P1150215 [].JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 315
  • P1150244 [].JPG
    P1150244 [].JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 376
Hope nobody minds but I have combined my Worcs sightings for today in one post as we visited both Lower Smite farm and Upton Warren today!

Visited Lower Smite Farm this morning and although it was quiet birdwise it was busy butterfly wise!! Had good views of a Common Buzzard and Sparrowhawk over the fields together with a Juvenile Swallow who seemed to be quite content enjoying the sunshine on the telegraph wire! Butterflies seen were Holly Blue, Gatekeeper, Peacock, Painted Lady, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Large & Small White and Small Copper!

Managed to see the Juv Wood Sandpiper at the Flashes this afternoon, typically it stayed right at the back of the pool together with a Dunlin, 8+ Green Sandpipers, Common Sandpipers, Curlews, BH Gulls and Grey Heron. It was nice to see Common Snipe back at the Flashes this afternoon! A record pic of the Wood Sandpiper is attached!

well done with the wood sand, i saw him too on saturday,and as you said at the back of the flash,can i keep a copy of your pic just for a reminder of it,my shot is absolutly screwed.aslo a dunlin(juv) hung around with the woodie at the back of the flash,aslo noted was a male sparrowhawk on the fence posts at the back,3 shoveler,28c teal,10 green sand,3 common sand,37 curlew,4 snipe,16 comon tern,3 cettis warbler(hen pool,no bittern but a few water rail calling.a hobby also flew over and looked to be carrying prey(swift/swallow).it was beeting very rapidly and was almost passed off as a pigeon.didnt visit the moors,hope i didnt miss anything.
MB

well done with the wood sand, i saw him too on saturday,and as you said at the back of the flash,can i keep a copy of your pic just for a reminder of it,my shot is absolutly screwed.aslo a dunlin(juv) hung around with the woodie at the back of the flash,aslo noted was a male sparrowhawk on the fence posts at the back,3 shoveler,28c teal,10 green sand,3 common sand,37 curlew,4 snipe,16 comon tern,3 cettis warbler(hen pool,no bittern but a few water rail calling.a hobby also flew over and looked to be carrying prey(swift/swallow).it was beeting very rapidly and was almost passed off as a pigeon.didnt visit the moors,hope i didnt miss anything.
MB

Looks like the Wood Sandpiper was still at Upton today so hopefully it will stick around for the weekend and grace us with its presence closer to the hide!! Of course you can keep a copy of my pic Craig, it isn't the best of pics but like you said it is nice to keep as a record of seeing the bird!!

:C
Looks like the Wood Sandpiper was still at Upton today so hopefully it will stick around for the weekend and grace us with its presence closer to the hide!! Of course you can keep a copy of my pic Craig, it isn't the best of pics but like you said it is nice to keep as a record of seeing the bird!!

It would be good to see it closer, Emma, so hopefully it will stay awhile! :t:

I also hope there are not 4 tripods with scopes and camera atop straddling the bench in the hide like last Sunday, thus giving no room for those who wish to sit! I thought the benches were for bums not tripods!!:C

:C

It would be good to see it closer, Emma, so hopefully it will stay awhile! :t:

I also hope there are not 4 tripods with scopes and camera atop straddling the bench in the hide like last Sunday, thus giving no room for those who wish to sit! I thought the benches were for bums not tripods!!:C

well its there today too,so only 4 more days untill i can see it again,and it looks as if 2 black-tailed godwits were reported last night at the flashes.im afraid to say i sometimes do put my tripod over the bench but move it to the back of the hide when the hide becomes crowded.
MB

well its there today too,so only 4 more days untill i can see it again,and it looks as if 2 black-tailed godwits were reported last night at the flashes.im afraid to say i sometimes do put my tripod over the bench but move it to the back of the hide when the hide becomes crowded.MB

I think we have all been there and done that at times, Craig! As you say..move it to the back of the hide when the hide is busy! A pity everyone doesn't have the etiquette to do the same!

Great with the reported B T Godwits!:t:

Nice to see you on Sunday Pam and Emma. We got the Wood Sand no probs and the hide had emptied out somewhat by the time we got there :t:

yes its avaliable at little chef,insted of the pancake:-O ;)(for people who have no idea whats going on check out the warks/west mids local patch fourum)

I must remember to drop in and order one the next time I am in Hagley then, Craig!o:D

Nice to see you on Sunday Pam and Emma. We got the Wood Sand no probs and the hide had emptied out somewhat by the time we got there :t:

Good to see yourself and Max, Kay! :t: A neat little bird the Wood Sand isn't it! Hard to choose which Sandpiper is my favourite with so many varieties present at Upton! Sounds as though you were lucky and managed a seat then!;)

A big vote for the Woodie on my blog for me! And I finished with
I stopped at the Cuckoo Hide on the way out and got my reward in a snake swimming towards me. Lord knows what it was but it had an orange nape. That should nail it for someone out there.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back