• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

OK then
News from Saturday 15th Aug 2009
The Flashes (highlights) 5.40am - 11am
Montagu's Harrier seen briefly at 7.40am
Hobby
Teal 47, Shoveler 19, Mallard 415
Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper 16, Common Sand 4, Snipe 8, Curlew 30, Black Tailed Godwit, Lapwing 185,
Raven 3, Yellow Wag, Grey Wag juv, Goldfinch 80+, House Martin 80-100
Water Rail 3 (2 adults + juv), Stock Dove c35
please add your sightings in the hide log books plus counts of individual species which helps when compiling the annual report, it also makes it more interesting at migration times as species build up or move out.
At the Moors
Spotted Crake and Little Egret
My next prediction will be a good wader on the muddy areas at the Flashes
Cheers John
Don't forget I am always ready to listen to constructive critism as long as it benefits the reserve and all the visitors (human and birdlife)

Mmm, you may be right, Pete. Yet when some will sit for hours waiting for a Kingfisher it just seemed spookily quiet there! Whatever, you were all very lucky being in the right place at the right time!

I turned up at ten when the early risers were about giving up and funnily enough got a great view of a perching kingfisher as compensation.

OK then
Hobby
Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper 16, Common Sand 4, Snipe 8, Curlew 30, Black Tailed Godwit, Lapwing 185,
please add your sightings in the hide log books plus counts of individual species which helps when compiling the annual report, it also makes it more interesting at migration times as species build up or move out. At the Moors
Cheers John
Don't forget I am always ready to listen to constructive critism as long as it benefits the reserve and all the visitors (human and birdlife)

always do:t:,and it helps to find out if a bird has been seen;)

With all these great birds and pics coming out from UW I thought I'd pay a visit which would be the first time since I got frozen to death waiting for the Waxwings last winter.

Went to the Moors first and tried all the hides in a 2 hour stay but although I met several very friendly locals I never saw anything of note and didn't use the camera at all.I never do any good at the Moors I must discover when Duckpond is going there next and follow him round.Nice place though.

At lunchtime I went to the flashes where in the furthest hide another friendly local told me "All the good stuff left last night".Still had a pleasant hour in the hide and saw 6+ Curlew,a lone Common Snipe,10+ Green Sandpipers,a lone Dunlin and 3 Common Sandpipers.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_3579 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3579 (Large).JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3591 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3591 (Large).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3594 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3594 (Large).JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 227
I wonder what "good stuff" they meant? Not sure about you following me Max... the last time you did that, my 40D broke! :eek!:

Added a couple of water rail shots taken over the weekend. A most accommodating bird for once, at that tender young age.

Attachments

• IMG_6532.jpg
    IMG_6532.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6990.jpg
    IMG_6990.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Hi Pete
were the juvenile water rail pictures taken from the concrete hide? If so that would indicate breeding at five areas of the reserve
cheers John
Max - the good stuff I presume was reference to the Wood Sand.

No, these were taken from the Hen Pool hide over the weekend. I saw 2 juveniles wandering around.

Also of note, there was a pair of reed warblers nesting in the patch of reeds in front of the hide too.

I'll have pics of the parents online maybe tonight.

No, these were taken from the Hen Pool hide over the weekend. I saw 2 juveniles wandering around.

Also of note, there was a pair of reed warblers nesting in the patch of reeds in front of the hide too.

I'll have pics of the parents online maybe tonight.

i saw a juv water rail in front of the water rail(concrete) hide while watching the crake:t:

Cheers MB
That would confirm that in all the main reed fringed areas breeding has occurred. At least 7 broods being seen from an unknown number of pairs and who knows how many unseen young there are.
john

This Saturday we are enduring ( can be hard but enjoyable) the almost annual Autumn 'All-dayer' birdwatch at the reserve. During the day we record as many species as we can seen or heard it doesn't matter. I will post the previous totals as soon as I can get hold of them. Unless Mike can post them for me.

This Saturday we are enduring ( can be hard but enjoyable) the almost annual Autumn 'All-dayer' birdwatch at the reserve. During the day we record as many species as we can seen or heard it doesn't matter. I will post the previous totals as soon as I can get hold of them. Unless Mike can post them for me.

wish i could be there all day,but i have a job to do,i should be there the night though for the roost(someone find a spotted crake again and have the montys fly over,but throw a net over the montys so i can tick it:-O:t:)
hope you get some good stuffB :)B :)B :)
MB

OK then
Hobby
please add your sightings in the hide log books plus counts of individual species which helps when compiling the annual report, it also makes it more interesting at migration times as species build up or move out.
At the Moors
Cheers John

A good Gull would be nice ;)

John

Good luck with that. May even pop in to see how you're getting on. You'll be at West Moors?

I wonder what "good stuff" they meant? Not sure about you following me Max... the last time you did that, my 40D broke! :eek!:

Added a couple of water rail shots taken over the weekend. A most accommodating bird for once, at that tender young age.

Super shots Pete.A couple skulked around in the reeds when I was there but the swines wouldn't come out in the open.

The "good stuff" did include the Wood Sandpiper and some BT Godwits apparently.

I will visit UW more often now as I've found I can get there in the same time as it takes me to get to Brandon Marsh (and my Warwickshire WW Trust card gets me in doesn't it???)

Max.

Ah, well if it makes you feel better, I didn't even bother with the wood sandpiper as it was always camped out on the far side of the lake, and even Rob with his 1600mm lens reach moaned about how far off it was!!

Yes, the Warks Trust card grants you access, afaik.

Managed to see the Sabine's Gull at the Flashes tonight!! :t: It was a nice bird to see and I managed a record shot of it which will do for me!!!

Also of note was a Whimbrel, Juv Little Ringed Plover and hundreds of roosting B H Gulls!!

Attachments

• P1150354 [].JPG
    P1150354 [].JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 300
To Pam and Emma your timing is impeccable as I had only just re-found the Sabs Gull at 8.28 just as you were on the approach to the hide hope you enjoyed it. A brilliant bird found by Gordon Greaves on Thursday a 2nd record for the reserve.
Cheers John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back