• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reynoldston, Gower (1 Viewer)

d.steeley

England
Hi all, we are staying at a hotel on the Gower Peninsula for a couple of days next week (30th wedding anniversary) and hope to do a bit of walking and birdwatching if possible. We have never visited before so if anyone could point us towards any particularly worthwhile places to visit? I would be interested in seeing any Chough if there are any down that way.

Cheers

Dave

Try Whiteford Point Dave. It's in this month's Birdwatching Magazine. Just past Llanmadoc park the car in the "car park". There is an honesty box at the entrance. Just walk down Frog Lane, through the gate, and follow the footpath out to the hide. It's probably a 5 minute drive from Reynoldston.

Other than that Oxwich maybe interesting. It's been a long time since I've seen Chough on the Gower but I vaguely remember seeing them from the Coastal path at Caswell Bay. Hopefully some other Welsh birders can give you more upto date info. regarding the Chough.

On a different matter there's great food at Fairyhill on the outskirts of Reynoldstone if you're looking for somewhere for a meal.

Have a good trip,

Rich

The best place to see Chough is the cliffs between Rhosilli and Port Eynon. There are several access points if you don't fancy walking the whole way, Mewslade or Paviland.

Whitford is good for waders but the walk down to the hide is longer that it looks! Also look out for crossbills in the woods by the NT basecamp.

There are kites on Gower now as well.

Hi both, thanks for the great replies. Rich, we are staying at Fairyhill so my appetite is whetted even more now. We will visit all of the sites you have both recommended. I have this months 'Birdwatching Magazine' but haven't opened it yet, I'm still looking through the 'Summer Special'. I'll have a look now. Mono, great to hear there are Red Kites are around, smashing birds. Once again, thanks for your replies.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I live in Penclawdd which is on the north Gower coast 10 mins from Reynolston. I've PM'd you with my contact details should you want to get in touch. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction or meet for a quick tour and/or directions.
Had 3 Dartfords and 5 choughs last sunday. cheers Howard

Hi Howard, thanks for your PM which I have tried to reply to but BF seems to be unable to connect when I try to submit it. Anyhow, thanks for your very kind offer but are all sorted now, with a mix of interesting birdwatching sites and some good walking with spectacular scenery. We are looking to visit for a longer period either later this year or early next so may contact you closer to the time for some info. Glad to hear there are Chough around, I would like to see them but understand if you do not wish to disclose their location on the open forum. We are arriving sometime tomorrow and with luck will not get blown away by the strong winds that have been forecast.

Once again, my thanks to all who have replied to my thread.

Kind regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back