• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Few More From the Southwest -AZ/NM (1 Viewer)

Rapala

#1- Zone-Tailed Hawk; Taken at the Grand Canyon
#2- LBJ; Grand Canyon
#3- Thrasher spp.; Northern New Mexico
#4- Brown-Crested or Ash-Throated Flycatcher; Northern NM

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2662 (2).JPG
    IMG_2662 (2).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2674 (2).JPG
    IMG_2674 (2).JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2851 (2).JPG
    IMG_2851 (2).JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2768 (2).jpg
    IMG_2768 (2).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
1. confirmed
2. female Bushtit (males have dark eyes)
3. Curve-billed Thrasher
4. Small bill and amount of rufous on the wings indicate Ash-throated

Agree with bewildered on 1 and 3. I get more of a Juniper Titmouse feel for #2; I can't see the eye. On the last flycatcher, you can see that the black on the outer webs of the tail does not wrap around on the inner web at the tips, so it is not an Ash-throated. I thought the bill looks pretty big as well, so Brown-crested looks good

edit: on further looks at #2, it looks like the outer tail feathers are shorter, which indicates a Bushtit. Titmice have squared off tails, where the outer rectrices are just about as long as the others.

Andy

Last edited:
That Zone-tailed is a darn good bird. I know people who have made several trips to the southwest with that bird high on their "want" list, and never got it.

That Zone-tailed is a darn good bird. I know people who have made several trips to the southwest with that bird high on their "want" list, and never got it.

Yes, it was on my list for the trip and I felt quite lucky as two of them flew over the Grand Canyon as I hiked along the rim. Any thoughts on #2 & #4?

Any thoughts on #2 & #4?
If you mean in terms of rarity - Bushtit (which looks right to me) is not very tough (nor is Ash-throated), but Brown-crested, which I think looks like a better fit, is a bit tougher. Certainly, any new bird is nice, and all of us miss "easy" birds from time to time, but all of those are easier than a Zone-tailed, for sure.

Last edited:
To further illustrate: I have been in SW USA probably a total of 12 weeks: I have seen Zone-tailed 1 time in the US.

I have been to Trinidad twice, Mexico 4 times, and Costa Rica once: I have seen Zone-tailed once in each of those countries.

Niels

2 is juniper titmouse for me. Shape of the bird not right for bushtit...note how short the tail is also.

If you mean in terms of rarity

Sorry, I now realize I was a bit vague. I had meant in terms of identification. So #2 is Juniper Titmouse, and #3 is BC? Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back