• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black winges Kite... some news?? (1 Viewer)

oxyuro

Registered Member
Hi friends.

This year we have seen in Spain some Black winges Kites in postnuptial dispersion toward the north of the mediterranean area (Castellon and Tarragona counties... and this is enough to the north!). Do you have news about some obs. this year of this bird out Spain and Portugal??

Thanks.

Regards.

Franc.

oxyuro said:
Hi friends.

This year we have seen in Spain some Black winges Kites in postnuptial dispersion toward the north of the mediterranean area (Castellon and Tarragona counties... and this is enough to the north!). Do you have news about some obs. this year of this bird out Spain and Portugal??

Thanks.

Regards.

Franc.
I don't have any news, personally, and have never seen these birds. However, when I go to Spain I tend to go to Tarragona and Barcelona provinces, so I might be lucky with them in the future!

oxyuro said:
Hi friends.
Thanks.
Regards.
Franc.

Hi Franc.

A bit of news about Black-Shouldered Kites from Doñana.
In the past we used to get a few post nuptial birds spending the winter here but in the spring of 2003 a pair bred in the Corredor Verde and raised 3 young.

The following year (2004), despite the birds staying throughout the summer and winter, there was no breeding that I was aware of and most birds dispersed back to Extremadura and the north for the summer.

In the winter there were at least 15 birds in the region and this spring (2005) four pairs bred in various locations along a 6 kilometre stretch of the Corredor Verde. Three pairs were successful and raised a total of 8 young.

These birds have remained in the Doñana region throughout the summer and the numbers have now been increased by other wintering visitors.
It could be that there are now up to 50 birds in the region and I am hoping that we now have the beginnings of a resident breeding population. My clients and I regulary see up to 12 a day on my bird tours and they are now easier to find here than they are in the Extremadura region..

The Corredor Verde, which is a wildlife reserve area that was created after the disaster of the contamination spill from the Boliden mine in Aznalcóllar in April 1998, has proved to be the right habitat for the kites and has obviously been a major contributing factor to their increased presence and breeding in Doñana.

I hope that in a few years, conditions permitting, that you will also have a breeding population in Castellon and Tarragona.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

John Butler said:
Hi Franc.

A bit of news about Black-Shouldered Kites from Doñana.
In the past we used to get a few post nuptial birds spending the winter here but in the spring of 2003 a pair bred in the Corredor Verde and raised 3 young.

The following year (2004), despite the birds staying throughout the summer and winter, there was no breeding that I was aware of and most birds dispersed back to Extremadura and the north for the summer.

In the winter there were at least 15 birds in the region and this spring (2005) four pairs bred in various locations along a 6 kilometre stretch of the Corredor Verde. Three pairs were successful and raised a total of 8 young.

These birds have remained in the Doñana region throughout the summer and the numbers have now been increased by other wintering visitors.
It could be that there are now up to 50 birds in the region and I am hoping that we now have the beginnings of a resident breeding population. My clients and I regulary see up to 12 a day on my bird tours and they are now easier to find here than they are in the Extremadura region..

The Corredor Verde, which is a wildlife reserve area that was created after the disaster of the contamination spill from the Boliden mine in Aznalcóllar in April 1998, has proved to be the right habitat for the kites and has obviously been a major contributing factor to their increased presence and breeding in Doñana.

I hope that in a few years, conditions permitting, that you will also have a breeding population in Castellon and Tarragona.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Hi John.

Each new breeding area is an incredible news for everybody that loves this beautiful bird... sure.

Regards

I saw a minimum of 7 in company with lesser kestrels in the rice and cotton fields just north of the N340 at La Janda on 17th September.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back