• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large white headed gull, east coast, Saudi (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
I have gone through some gull and tern pix sent to me by a friend today.

I'm uncertain about this one.

Any help gratefully received as ever.

Rob

Attachments

• 5g.JPG
    5g.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 92
i don't think it is possible to tell wether it is caspian or steppe from this pic alone.
its p10 mirrors are small for adult cachinnans, better for barabensis with the thick subterminal mark but many eastern cachinnans can look like this. long pale yellow legs, slightly pale bill base, pointed bill tip are better for cachinnans but all these features strongly overlap between these two species. an open wing would help. iris colour also very variable in both. mantle colour not useful without any comparison, barabensis slightly darker than cachinnans. could be an eastern cachinnans, could well be barabensis ...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back