• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My last Asia - Accipiters (1 Viewer)

Kongi

Hi,
with your great help, that I really really appreciate!!!, I do not have any other birds from Southeast Asia to share. These are my very last birds I´m struggling with - Accipiters.

I have already posted some of these pictures, but no one answered so I created this last post especially for them with hope that someone could help me this time. I don´t even dare to guess their IDs (I actually did, bud rather don´t share :) )
Pictures 1a and 1b show the same bird

Thank you for identification, and for bringing me still closer to birds:)
Petr

1a,b Accipiter Myanmar
2 Accipiter Cambodia
3 Accipiter Vietnam, Dalat
4 Accipiter Cambodia

Attachments

• 1a Accipiter Myanmar.jpg
    1a Accipiter Myanmar.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1b Accipiter Myanmar.jpg
    1b Accipiter Myanmar.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 2 Accipiter Cambodia.JPG
    2 Accipiter Cambodia.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 3 Accipiter Vietnam, Dalat.jpg
    3 Accipiter Vietnam, Dalat.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 4 Accipiter Cambodia.jpg
    4 Accipiter Cambodia.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 100
I think 1, 2 and 4 are Grey-faced Buzzard.

3 looks like Japanese Sparrowhawk (but might be Chinese).

5 I'm not sure what to say.

Would agree reg #1-3. Don’t think #3 is Chinese SH due to cere colour. I think wing is too short and round in #4 for GFB. Instead I think this is a Besra. #5 could very well be a Shrika.

Would agree reg #1-3. Don’t think #3 is Chinese SH due to cere colour. I think wing is too short and round in #4 for GFB. Instead I think this is a Besra. #5 could very well be a Shrika.

Agree with KGS 3. Male Japanese SH. Chinese SH has a bright orangey cere and solid orange u/parts. 4. Besra. Wings way to short especially hand for GFB. Five visible p tips eliminate Crested Goshawk which shows 6. 5. Shikra

A very useful reference here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/641kigil1ftpveq/Accipiters.Thailand.ID.2014.pdf

First year Besra for the bird in photos 1-2. It is an Accipiter, not Butastur, for various reasons - for example the colour of cere and leg length (and you really do not need this kind of characters in the field for separating these two, but deciding between various Accipiters is far more difficult, of course).

First year Besra for the bird in photos 1-2. It is an Accipiter, not Butastur, for various reasons - for example the colour of cere and leg length (and you really do not need this kind of characters in the field for separating these two, but deciding between various Accipiters is far more difficult, of course).

I forgot to comment on 1 & 2 which is an obvious accipiter as jalid says, a 1st-winter Besra.

GFB has much longer and narrower wings, and longer tail. Compare here.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=7825

I am not familiar with the Accipiters of Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia, but to me, 1 & 2 do not look like Besra for the reasons xuky gives: no apparent eye ring and rather thick tarsus. De Candido et al. state for Shikra: 'Juveniles, especially males, have a light greyish head that contrasts with the brown body and back, and a chestnut ‘ear’ patch.' It seems to match juv Shikra better than juv Besra. See eg http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17545013
Are we overlooking something?

I am not familiar with the Accipiters of Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia, but to me, 1 & 2 do not look like Besra for the reasons xuky gives: no apparent eye ring and rather thick tarsus. De Candido et al. state for Shikra: 'Juveniles, especially males, have a light greyish head that contrasts with the brown body and back, and a chestnut ‘ear’ patch.' It seems to match juv Shikra better than juv Besra. See eg http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17545013
Are we overlooking something?

No in answer to your question. Have already messaged Petr re 1a/b for pretty much the same reasons. Compare to 3 (which is a Besra) and the differences are clear. In addition to the features you mention the tail barring is thinner and it looks longer in the wing.

Yes, I also agree now that it is a Shikra. I think that the best visible separating character in these photos is narrower black barring on the outermost tail feathers. The black bars are about a quarter of the breadth of the pale areas in Shikra, about a half in Besra (it is very different in the other tail feathers, which are better visible on the upperside of tail). The pattern of underbody and mesial stripe may be almost identical in these two species.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back