• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Nightingale? (1 Viewer)

Akshada

Hello. I have clicked this little one (almost of the size of a Great tit) in Dortmund, Germany in my garden on 15 September. I am not sure if it is a common nightingale or another bird altogether? I am new to birding so still learning to identify birds. Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSCN4930-01-02.jpeg
    DSCN4930-01-02.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 142
Hello. I have clicked this little one (almost of the size of a Great tit) in Dortmund, Germany in my garden on 15 September. I am not sure if it is a common nightingale or another bird altogether? I am new to birding so still learning to identify birds. Many thanks in advance!

Welcome Akshada

Your bird will be either a Willow Warbler or a Chiffchaff (the 2 commonest "leaf warblers"). At this time of year both have a lot of variation of plumage colour and leg colour.

The primary projection (the pointed part at the end of the closed wing) is longer in Willow Warbler and to me, the PP length looks better for Willow Warbler in this picture, though others may correct me on this.

I'd say Chiffchaff. The primary projection looks within the range for that species, and the legs are dark (Willow Warblers can occasionally have dark legs, but I don't think this is one). The pale lower eye ring is also a useful character for Chiffchaff.

And of course welcome to the forum!

Hi Akshada and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

As there's no definite identification offered so far, I've moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Oh wow that was a lot of information! Thank you so much!! I am glad I joined this bird forum.. It's helping me learn a lot!! Based on all the thingsreplies and having studied both the birds, it can indeed be confusing as to which one it is exactly, but I think it's a Chiffchaff..

Oh wow that was a lot of information! ...it can indeed be confusing as to which one it is exactly, but I think it's a Chiffchaff..

- sometimes it’s easy to forget that terms like ‘primary projection’, ‘pp’ etc could be confusing to people not used to describing birds by their structure and the way we answer ID queries at times are not always the simplest way!

The primaries are the pointed wing tips you can see on the folded wing on your bird, the tertials are the rounded ‘flat’ feathers lying on top of the shorter wing feathers (the secondaries) on top of its lower back - the primary projection (pp) is how much the primaries extend beyond the longest tertial. On Willow Warbler the primaries extend about equal distance from the tip of longest tertial compared to the total length of the tertials, on Chiffchaff it’s a shorter projection past the longest tertial which is usually about half the length of the total length of the tertials.

From this ‘formula’ we can usually safely separate Chiffchaff from Willow Warbler, certainly from photos. This is not always seen so easily in the field though, so leg colour (generally dark for Chiffchaff), movement in the tree (frequently flicking tail for chiffchaff), and ‘chiff chaff’ calls of course as well as generally browner and buffy colours of Chiffchaff with more limited yellow (juveniles have more yellow than adults) cf to more yellower and brighter, ‘cleaner’ impression of colours for Willow Warbler, all helping to separate these species if you can’t get good views.

This visual explanation of differences is probably clearer than a lot of muddled words ;)!

Compare Willow Warbler to Chiffchaff in the link here;
http://www.planetofbirds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/20130503-215908.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you were looking for John, but would this Opus page help at all

Topography

Just click on the images to enlarge them.

Not sure exactly what you were looking for John, but would this Opus page help at all

Not sure who you were directing this to Delia (‘John’?) but that’s a really great link! (The link I posted just focus’s on comparing Willow Warbler to Chiffchaff but diagrams of the different feather tracks is very helpful both for explaining features and understanding them!)

Last edited:
Not sure who you were directing this to Delia (‘John’?) but that’s a really great link!

Sorry, Deb... John seems to have deleted his post!

Yes, it is a good page that one, thanks for saying so lass.

There's an excellent Dictionary in The Opus too.

Attachments

• knee.JPG
    knee.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Sorry, Deb... John seems to have deleted his post!

Yes, it is a good page that one, thanks for saying so lass.

There's an excellent Dictionary in The Opus too.

I wonder if it might be an idea to post both those Opus links as two stickies at the top of the ID forum under ‘Glossary of Terms/dictionary’ and ‘Topography/description of the features of birds’ - (or words to that effect!). It would make it much easier to be able to reference these if needed to explain IDs and also for new birders/members to find when trying to understand the responses to their ID inquiries or draft the questions?

Thanks Deb... a good thought.

I've now done two Stickies. If you think I can improve on the titles or whatever, please say.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back