• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

And another bunch ( mainly for two reasons, I've never been to Hawaii and they've got to be some of the best birdnames in the world.)
Ou, Nukupuu, Oahu Alauahio, Kauai Oo, Kamao, Olomao, Bishop's Oo, Poo-uli, Hawaian Crow - if anyones seen one, in the wild, in the 21stC. If Akialoa and Kakawahie are still considered to be extant then the'll be "megas".
Chris

Here is a list of species that Birdlife still regard as possibly extant in the wild, but IMO may have gone - as others have pointed out before, I may be a bit pessimistic wrt Rueck's Fly, Negros FD, the Scops and perhaps others. In summary, I suspect VERY few people have seen more than 1-2 of these (e.g. Spix's Macaw, Thrasher). Any takers (aside from Chris's River Martin)?

Himalayan Quail Ophrysia superciliosa
Crested Shelduck Tadorna cristata
Pink-headed Duck Rhodonessa caryophyllacea
Jamaica Petrel Pterodroma caribbaea
Guadalupe Storm-petrel Oceanodroma macrodactyla
Alaotra Grebe Tachybaptus rufolavatus
New Caledonian Rail Gallirallus lafresnayanus
Samoan Moorhen Gallinula pacifica
Makira Moorhen Gallinula silvestris
Javan Lapwing Vanellus macropterus
Eskimo Curlew Numenius borealis
Sulu Bleeding-heart Gallicolumba menagei
Negros Fruit-dove Ptilinopus arcanus
New Caledonian Lorikeet Charmosyna diadema
Night Parrot Pezoporus occidentalis
Glaucous Macaw Anodorhynchus glaucus
Spix's Macaw Cyanopsitta spixii
Siau Scops-owl Otus siaoensis
Jamaican Pauraque Siphonorhis americana
New Caledonian Owlet-nightjar Aegotheles savesi
Turquoise-throated Puffleg Eriocnemis godini
Imperial Woodpecker Campephilus imperialis
Ivory-billed Woodpecker Campephilus principalis
Kinglet Calyptura Calyptura cristata
Rio de Janeiro Antwren Myrmotherula fluminensis
Tachira Antpitta Grallaria chthonia
Banggai Crow Corvus unicolor
White-eyed River-martin Eurochelidon sirintarae
White-chested White-eye Zosterops albogularis
Cozumel Thrasher Toxostoma guttatum
Pohnpei Starling Aplonis pelzelni
Olomao Myadestes lanaiensis
Rueck's Blue-flycatcher Cyornis ruckii
Ou Psittirostra psittacea
Nukupuu Hemignathus lucidus
Oahu Alauahio Paroreomyza maculata
Poo-uli Melamprosops phaeosoma
Bachman's Warbler Vermivora bachmanii
Semper's Warbler Leucopeza semperi
Hooded Seedeater Sporophila melanops

cheers, alan

I have Kirtland's Warbler...it's actually very easy to see if you make the trip to Northern Michigan

How about Nihoa Millerbird, Nihoa Finch, and Coco's Island Finch? All are endemic to small islands which I don't believe allow access except to researchers?

I have Kirtland's Warbler...it's actually very easy to see if you make the trip to Northern Michigan

How about Nihoa Millerbird, Nihoa Finch, and Coco's Island Finch? All are endemic to small islands which I don't believe allow access except to researchers?

Good call - similarly Chatham Island snipe which is invisible on South-east I from a zodiac bobbing offshore, though the robin can occaisionally be viewed.

alan

Hi guys,

I've seen Mount Cameroon Francolin (March 2000, Mt Cameroon near Buea) and São Tomé Grosbeak (July 1999, Rio Io Grande) that are in your list.

I was not yet photographer at the time. No regret for the Grosbeak I didn't see well enough for photo but I had amazing sightings of this rare francolin.

I wouldn't go without my camera now...

Cheers,

I can defo put down Tuamoto Sandpiper (Mangareva, Gambier) - also got Hendersons Petrel and Henderson Island Crake that trip...

Also I was looking at Chris Collins picture of a Becks Petrel from the first official World Pacific Odyssey trip - so I'm claiming that too... At the time it went out as *probable* Becks, so its a disputable claim...

Someone in the forums must have been on the following WPO that def. clinched becks (in exactly the same area).

I'm starting to get bitter, now. :t: :t: :t:
Chris

If its any consolation - the 'pitcairn jaunt' was a bit of a 'mare, and the views of "Tomato Sandpiper" were mostly flight views. Skipper wouldn't risk a dinghy through the roaring surf and jagged reefs, and I was a bit loath to swim through the encircling sharks (for once).

Two more "has-anyone-seem them" for the list... From hard-to-get-to bits of Bougainville..

Moustached Kingfisher
Odedi (Bougainville Bush Warbler)

Two more "has-anyone-seem them" for the list... From hard-to-get-to bits of Bougainville..

Moustached Kingfisher
Odedi (Bougainville Bush Warbler)

Odedi seen by Ashley Banwell a few weeks ago (photos on Surfbirds) but he dipped the Kingfisher (a dead one was as close as he got). To my knowledge Dave Gibbs is the only living birder with this one.

Cheers, alan

Larry

A few updates - I've seen Jerdon's Courser, PR Nightjar (a lot must have seen this!)Anjouan., Humbolts & Mayotte Sunbirds, Hooded Grebe. Pete Morris and plenty of others (any other BFers?) saw Sakalava Rail last year and all of the Comoros endems. These are easily gettable at the moment.

cheers, alan

That's got me feeling very envious, Valery, cracking bird. What about the rest of the Sao Thome + Principe endemics?
Chris

I've got all of them with the usual taxonomy. Actually, if I include potential splitted sub-species I just missed the Barn Owl and the extremely rare Principe Thrush.

I stayed 3 weeks on the archipel which is long enough to look for all endemics and take time to see/heard them again and again.

We did some seawatching as well and boat trips that produced many speciies including Black-bellied Storm-Petrel.

A very exciting trip indeed!

Next trip to Africa should allow me to get the 2000 mark on that continent. Hopefully a rare Tanzanian endemic :)

Regards,

I've got all of them with the usual taxonomy. Actually, if I include potential splitted sub-species I just missed the Barn Owl and the extremely rare Principe Thrush.
I must try for Sao Thome next year ( I was wondering were to go.)

A couple of species for Larry to knock off the list :- Stresmann's Rosefinch, 5 on the west side of the Chamdo valley, Tibet, 14 + 17 June 1991, Spotted [B]Ground Thrush[/B], Sokoke, Kenya, 1976, Taita Thrush, 1976 ( an "armchair" tick as it hadn't been split then), Bamboo Warbler, Uganda, Abadare Cisticola, Kenya 1976, Taita Apalis, Kenya 1976, Taita White-eye, Another "armchair" tick )
Chris

I've just been checking Sinclair andRyan, Birds of Africa - south of the Sahasra, 2003 and come up with :-
Dwarf Olive Ibis, White-breasted Guineafowl, Udungwa Forest Partridge, Nahan's Spurfowl ( that's one I've "dipped on"), Djibouti Spurfowl, Swierstra's Spurfowl ( if still extant ), Somali Pigeon, Usambara ( Nduk ) agle Owl, Albertine Owlet, Schoutenden's Swift, Forbes-Watsons Swift, Yellow-legged Honeyguide, Friedmans Lark, Degodi's Lark, Ash's Lark, Archer's Lark, Rudd's Lark, Grauer's Cuckooshrike, White-necked Pithacartes, Grey-necked Pithacartes ( I can't believe no-ones mentioned these two before), White-throated Mountain-Babbler, Prigogines Greenbul, Oberlaender's Ground Thrush, Kibale Ground Thrush ( if valid ), Somali Thrush, Thyolo Alethe, Gabela Akalat, Usambara Ground-Robin ( Akalat ), White-headed Robin-Chat, Dja River Warbler, Tana River Warbler ( if valid / extant ), Kungwe Apalis, Karamoja Apalis, Sierra Leone Prinia, Turner's Eremomola, Chapin's Crombec ( if still extant ), Long-billed Forest-Warbler ( Moreau's Tailorbird ), Winifred's ( Mrs. Moreau's ) Warbler, Pulitzer's Longbill, Usambara Hyliota, Newton's Fiscal, Braun's Bushshrike , Gabela Bushshrike, Mt. Kupe Bushshrike, Uluguru Bushshrike, Gabela Budshshrike, Usambara Weaver, Golden-naped Weaver, Ibadan Malimbe, Black-lored Waxbill, Warsangli Linnet. Theres also Algerian Nuthatch, one of only a handfull of Western Palearctic endemics.
Chris

Seen all of these:

Nahan's Spurfowl (lots will have taped this in in Uganda)
Degodi's Lark (but duff species and lumped with Gillett's)
Rudd's Lark (well staked out at Wakkerstrom, many will have seen this)
Grey-necked Pithacartes (lots will have seen this and the other one of late!)
White-throated Mountain-Babbler ("easy" Kupe area)
Mt. Kupe Bushshrike (Bakosi Mtns)

And although I've not seen it Turner's Eremomela is a regular target at Kakemega and plenty will have seen it; ditto the Tanzanian montane endemics you mention.

Cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back