• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fisher AG7 Space Pen (1 Viewer)

nodd

Neil
I have just bought one of the Fisher Space Pens the one I went for is the AG7 which is the original astronaut pen. The pen is still being made to the same design. I bought this to use in the field and at Uni.
For those that haven’t heard the story this is the pen Paul C Fisher designed and developed ( with his own money) along with the pressurised refill which allow the pen to write in a range of conditions, angles including upside down, under water and different paper types; along that all important one for a pen going into space zero G. In 1967 after 18 months testing NASA chose the pen to be used by the Apollo astronauts. There is also the urban myth that the pen cost NASA millions to develop and the Russians used pencils ( graphite and wood shavings in zero G mmm) This is the pen used by Buzz Aldrin to flick the circuit breaker, to launch the off the moon as the original handle was broken (moon bushcraft).
Now I cannot see me having any use for the zero gravity bit but the others might come in handy.
My initial impression of the pen is it is well made, being made out of brass which is chrome platted it is a two button design press the end button to extend the tip and the side one to retract it, these work with a satisfying click. The pen has a nice weight to it with a balance point just rear of centre near to where the pen unscrews to change the refill. There is a turned grip near the tip this extends back about an inch and has a nice feel when writing. The clip on the pen can clip onto quite thick clothing without distorting.
The pen came with a medium black refill, the little I have wrote with the pen so far, it has proved to be nice and smooth, with the ink not blobbing. Some of the reviews I have read some people find this can happen with medium and bold tip, with the fine being ok. Others say this is not a problem.
For me the pen is a timeless classic with a tactile feel to it, making it a joy use.
I bought the pen from Heinnie and was great service from them. The usual I have no connection with either company.
http://www.heinnie.com/Pens/Fisher-S...p-290-291-512/ http://www.spacepen.com/originalastronautmodels.aspx

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back