• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are alpha binos just getting too expensive? (perspective) (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
For anyone tempted to think that alpha binos are just getting ridiculously expensive today, here's a useful tool: US$ Inflation Calculator

For example, the Swarovski 15x56 SLC sells today for around $2300. For comparison, in 1989 I bought a similar quality Zeiss 15x60 GAT* porro for about $1800, or $3700 in today's dollars. Today's SLC is meaningfully superior to it in every respect except FOV: smaller, lighter, easier to hold, sharper, brighter, closer focusing, water/fogproof etc -- and substantially less expensive. (Would anyone like to offer more data points?)

Are they expensive? Yes. Too expensive? Well, they're selling in a free market. No one is forced to buy them, yet we do. It's like anything else, you pay your money and you take your chances. With optics I find the more one pays the less chances one takes. There's all different kinds, some may not see it that way.

As it was then in 1989, you get what you pay for.....generally with respect to optics. Other things these days not so much.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Worth remembering that high $$$ glass is a very, very small piece of the market. You could add up all of the elite maker's sales numbers and it wouldn't come close to what chicom Vortex sells.

I won't comment on whether current top flight bins are too expensive, that's an individual's choice, but I can say that I won't pay $2-2.8k for a birding bin.

I might, at some point, pick up a used copy of one the these current top end bins if I conclude they're going to do something for me.

I also think the point of greatly diminishing return starts at about $1k, for new bins.

I generally agree with earlier comments, particularly that you pay large dollar increments for very small performance increments.

The inflation calculator doesn’t capture the shift in the mid to low cost binocular market. There simply were no roof prism binoculars at 10-15% of alpha price and with decent performance back then. I realize that is a highly subjective statement open to debate. However there is a value proposition today that did not exist back then

I generally agree with earlier comments, particularly that you pay large dollar increments for very small performance increments.

That really hits the nail on the head. I totally agree with Keith & Ailevin.

I was looking through some Leica Noctivids the other day and nice as they were the first thing that came to mind is that they didn’t strike me as being a thousand dollars or more better than a pair of ten year old Ultravids. I don’t think so. There is so much marketing hype surrounding optics these days and we all get caught up in it with all the associated expectation of ‘the latest’.

I have a mate who simply has to buy the latest upgrade to everything. I reckon a lot is to do with boosting his ego and showing off his neck jewellery. Strikes me as completely unnecessary, a waste of money and not particularly sustainable. Still if that’s what he wants to spend his cash on he could have worse habits.

I hope some ‘alpha’ manufacturers are reading this thread. Your prices strike me and many of my friends as being totally extortionate these days. If you bring the price down you will sell more units!

Good Birding

Andrew

Worth remembering that high $$$ glass is a very, very small piece of the market. You could add up all of the elite maker's sales numbers and it wouldn't come close to what chicom Vortex sells.

This is true. Add up Vortex, Bushnell and Leupold in the States and in the UK add Hawke and Opticron and the numbers dwarf the top dogs.

Lee

I wonder if optics-inflation has far outstripped that of the CPI in recent years. In 2012, I bought SV 8x32 in a store here for €1269. The samd store is now offering the latest iteration of the same bino for €1829. The hike in the price of other premium brands is similar.
OTOH, you can get a Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 for around €500, which I think is the same, or less than they originally cost. Like Kevin C., I think the cost of new premium binos has exceeded my willingness to let my credit card see the light of day.

Last edited:
I think most people would agree that what we refer to as "Alpha" still has a performance edge, my feeling is if the competition could close the gap and equal them for substantially less money they would, IMHO its that last step up that demands the big $$££, only oneself can decide if its worth the outlay.

I wonder if optics-inflation has far outstripped that of the CPI in recent years. In 2012, I bought SV 8x32 in a store here for €1269. The samd store is now offering the latest iteration of the same bino for €1829. The hike in the price of other premium brands is similar.
OTOH, you can get a Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 for around €500, which I think is the same, or less than they originally cost. Like Kevin C., I think the cost of new premium binos has exceeded my willingness to let my credit card see the light of day.

On the other hand my FL8x32 cost £1395 in 2012 and it is now offered in the UK from £1344 (but out of stock) to £1480 (and available). Based on the higher figure the increase is 6% which is pretty nominal over the 7 year period from 2012 to now.

Lee

Thread almost ready for inclusion in Ruffled Feathers, where Brexit, Venezuela and POTUS live.

I paid £649 ( trade ) for my Zeiss 8 x 32 FLs......[pre "Victory" and "Lotutec"].

Using a UK inflation calculator, our DBA binocular line should be retailing at £1,000+ based on its 2002 price of £649 but we've somehow managed to keep it at under £600.

Further down the range, the Imagic TGA WP 8x42 was £149 and is now... £159. Inflation would put it at £230.

An EL 8x32 was £849 back then and inflation says it would be £1300ish today. Difficult to find one listed below £1500.

Maybe we should have followed the Austrian pricing methodology :)

P.S. I think the slur mentioned is from jgraider's post where he references Vortex using what I think is considered to be a derogatory slang word.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back