• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indentification help please (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
Please could someone identify this bird? Taken today in Barbate, Andalucia, Spain. In marshland. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_3915.jpg
    DSC_3915.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 217
It is a very contrasty image and i would have plumped for White also the jizz doesn’t look right for Yellow to me but.....

Laurie:t:

I also believe that this is a Yellow Wagtail. Please note the just visible brownish wash to the upperparts (in White Wagtail clear grey without any colour tinge), Also, the narrow straight supercilium set sharply against the all dark ear coverts fits this species.

Many juvenile Yellow Wagtails lack an yellow tone to the undertail-coverts, and some are clear whitish around the vent. But such a contrasting and bright white is still eyecatching. Maybe, that was the reason for the unusual Jizz, Laurie? But I dont know if this is also true for Spanish wagtails.
Please compare the attached autumn Yellow Wagtail (Schwetzinger Wiesen/SW-Germany/11.9.2010) with a clear colour tinge to the grey upperparts and a more typical first winter/autumn vent.

Attachments

• Schafstele1 bearbeitet.jpg
    Schafstele1 bearbeitet.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Schafstelze3 bearbeitet.jpg
    Schafstelze3 bearbeitet.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back