• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

I must try for Sao Thome next year ( I was wondering were to go.)

A couple of species for Larry to knock off the list :- Stresmann's Rosefinch, 5 on the west side of the Chamdo valley, Tibet, 14 + 17 June 1991, Spotted [B]Ground Thrush[/b], Sokoke, Kenya, 1976, Taita Thrush, 1976 ( an "armchair" tick as it hadn't been split then), Bamboo Warbler, Uganda, Abadare Cisticola, Kenya 1976, Taita Apalis, Kenya 1976, Taita White-eye, Another "armchair" tick )
Chris

Chris, none of the birds you mention have been put on the list by anyone, so they can not be taken off the list.

The idea of this thread was to put species on the list which perhaps no BFer has yet seen. If anyone visiting this thread has seen the species so listed or know of a BFer who has seen any, then they will be acknowledged as such.

And another bunch ( mainly for two reasons, I've never been to Hawaii and they've got to be some of the best birdnames in the world.)
Ou, Nukupuu, Oahu Alauahio, Kauai Oo, Kamao, Olomao, Bishop's Oo, Poo-uli, Hawaian Crow - if anyones seen one, in the wild, in the 21stC. If Akialoa and Kakawahie are still considered to be extant then the'll be "megas".
Chris

Of these birds the only one that could perhaps remain in the wild is nukupu'u, which was last maybe seen (not 100% certain) around 2000 but is most likely extinct. (Even if a nukupu'u is hanging around extinction would still be inevitable.) akialoa and kakawahie have not been seen since the 1960's and are long extinct. You'd be a lucky doggie or as old as the hills to have seen any of these flying around in the past.

I have seen lots of hawaiian crows ('alala)...in cages. I think they're sending one to San Diego for public showing. There were one or two left in the wild until about 2001.

Last edited:
Heres a bunch of rails to add to the list. White-winged Flufftail, Slender-billed Flufftail, Mayr's Forest Rail, Andaman Crake, Woodfords Rail, Kolumbangara Rail, Plain'flanked Rail, Bogota Rail, Austral Rail, Brown-banded Rail, Aukland Rail, Talaud Bush-hen, Talaud Rail, Sakalava Rail.Chris

Heres a bunch of rails to add to the list. White-winged Flufftail, Slender-billed Flufftail, Mayr's Forest Rail, Andaman Crake, Woodfords Rail, Kolumbangara Rail, Plain'flanked Rail, Bogota Rail, Austral Rail, Brown-banded Rail, Aukland Rail, Talaud Bush-hen, Talaud Rail, Sakalava Rail.Chris

You can knock off:
Andaman Crake - James E, Rob H
Bogota rail - Pete M (and probably many others)
Austral Rail - ditto
Sakalava rail - ditto
Plain-flanked Rail - ditto

The others probably a good bet though
cheers, a

Seen all of these:
And although I've not seen it Turner's Eremomela is a regular target at Kakemega and plenty will have seen it; ditto the Tanzanian montane endemics you mention.

I've yet to miss Turner's Eremomela at Kakamega, so I guess that one can be taken off the list as well.

Cheers,
Benji

I think you should add "possibly extinct" after Jamaica Petrel, it is listed as certainly extinct by Raffaele in the West Indian field guide, and not even included in the index in Clements.

Someone mentioned Puerto Rican Nightjar in one of the posts; I have that as well as all other currently recognized endemics from that island.

Niels

We will be traveling around the central and eastern US during most of September. I may not get the "bird lists" updated for a while, so please bear with me. I will update the list when I can!

A bunch of Swifts ( that some bu**ers bound to have seen :t: ) for the list White-cheeked Swift, White-fronted Swift, Whitehead's Swiftlet, Mayr's Swiftlet, Sawtell's Swiftlet, Dark-rumped Swift.
Chris

Yep, Kakapo seen by myself in 2002 breeding season on Codfish. Also the Chatham Island Petrel (which is not the same as the Taiko Larry by the way...Taiko is Magenta Petrel), Chatham Island Robin and Chatham Island Snipe...4 weeks on South East Island (Rangatira) in 2001 took care of those...it was nice!

Larry, seen these:

Anjouan Sunbird
Apricot-breasted Sunbird

BTW Junin Grebe is not extinct to my knowledge - not doing very well though...

alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back