• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie decision. FZ35 40 or 100 ?? (1 Viewer)

Bob1960

Newbie decision. fz40 or SX30is which is best for birding ??

I am here and new to photography and want a decent camera for birding and nature photos. I dont really care to much about video.
The price is about the same so which is best for birding ??

Also I don't know where to find the best deal. Where should I be shopping besides Amazon and B&H (Pm me if you know a great site).
Thanks everyone any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There are several threads which compare the latest superzooms - you can use the search function to find them. This one is current and rather extensive: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=192909.

I have an older Panasonic (FZ35) and an older Nikon (P100) both of which have produced decent results and are nice for light travel. However, I get better results with a DSLR, so I use that most of the time. In my experience, Panasonic cameras in this class handle well (relative to Nikon or Canon) and I'd lean towards a Panasonic, if all else (price, max zoom, pixels, image quality) were relatively equal. You may also want to check out the DPReview site if you haven't already done so - they have good reviews / complete specs for most relevant cameras.

Finally, welcome to BirdForum and I'm sure you will get friendly and helpful advise here.

I have an FZ35 and a Nikon TC-E15ED converter which I am quite happy with, but I am going to sell them, I think, and get a Sony HX100V. Have you looked at that one?
Sean

Thanks for the kind and patient replies.
I have not looked at the Sony HX100V as I cant find it nearly as cheap as these so I got stuck on Panisonic and Canon. I have read so much I am dizzy. What I think I have learned between the Fz40 and the Sx30is is that the Fz40 is
1. Faster to use when getting a quick shot
2. Has a faster burst (but how fast do I need) Not sure?
3. Has more advanced features
4. Has Raw (not sure if that is something Id use as I dont really understand how its different from basic photo shop adjustments)
5. Shoots a bit better video(not really important to me though.)
The Sx30
1. Has a longer zoom. (which can be compensated for on the FZ40 by buying a lens..correct) ???
2. Seems to have abit better IQ (which if so should weigh heavily since I wont be able to compensate that in anyway) If its true.

It seems that one is lacking in one area and the other in a different area making it hard to decide which features are more important in birding (I am new so I dont know which is the better decision).
But I am leaning towards the Canon right now.
Help is appreciated

Last edited:
If you are going for bird shots you need to consider the speed of focusing and also how you get on with the EVF. In these respects you will, I think, find the Panasonic better. Also you will need to come off base ISO if you are shooting in anything but bright light, and here again I think the Panasonic will win. There is one guy on dpreview who photographs a lot of bluebirds with the Canon, and his photos are beautiful. But I've seen no-one else come close to his shots and I think he has a special setup in his garden and does a lot of PP on the photos.

Really the only way to sort this is to take a trip to a big camera shop and try them all in your own hands. Feel what each is like to use and judge for yourself the focus speed, quality of EVF, zoom size, speed of burst etc. Take along an SD card and ask to shoot some photos with each camera, then take the card home and have a look.

Sean

Thanks Sean
I ordered a Sx30 yesterday. It was a toss up both had pros and cons.
That guy on dpreview you mentioned(kenn) I believe... was a factor as I figure if he can get those shots so can I with practice. I have seen alot of nice galleries of Sx30 users but his is really nice. I look forward to the learning experience. My wife says Ill be buying something better (DSLR) within a few months and she may be right.... she usually is.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back