• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon, Death Valley National Park, California (1 Viewer)

SHolt

Can anyone assist with age/sex of this bird perched on the FCC antenna array near the airport? It was observed today for 75 minutes on the pre-survey for the Christmas Bird Count on Sunday. Comments by the observers were that it, "felt less robust than the female observed last year". It showed very little distress to have three cars drive past and six people gawking at it talking and taking images. It is the second image "voucher-documented" Peregrine for the Park!

Attachments

• CC_IMG_6078  Copy.jpg
    CC_IMG_6078 Copy.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
It's clearly an adult because of the blue-gray back and the barring on the underparts. I can't help with sexing it.

If you have access to Wheeler's RAPTORS of Western North America there are several paragraphs on telling male and female F. p. anatum ("American") Peregrine falcons apart. It is far too complicated for me. See page 470.

Bob

If you have access to Wheeler's RAPTORS of Western North America there are several paragraphs on telling male and female F. p. anatum ("American") Peregrine falcons apart. It is far too complicated for me. See page 470.
Bob

I don't have that handy, but the Birds of North America account (Cornell) says:

Female. Similar to male but underparts on average more buffy and heavily marked with larger markings extending farther up on breast and into crop; upperparts browner. Whitish basal portions of nape-feathers more extensive, giving nape and ocelli slightly mottled appearance more frequently.

So it's possible, but I suspect the overlap is far too great to identify most. But what do I know?

If you see the two together, Male looks that little bit bluer and that little bit neater. And usually smaller of course. This has the look of a male to me, but I certainly wouldn't swear to it.

Come to think of it, I recall seeing a pair in which the female was definitely a lot "peachier" on the breast.

I take back my impossible comment completely. But I'm still no help.

Thanks for the comments. They are all helpful. We were able to approach this one much closer than the other for a long time. It really did appear to be a smaller bird than last years. Hope that we can continue to see this bird in the Park.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back